Universal Compur Estate Sale Find

Posts
7,689
Likes
22,049
Is the case gold plated? Can’t really see with the reflections.
I had the privilege to try on a watch which has some common features.... courtesy of its owner who goes by «Passion66» on Instagram. It was purchased at major Geneva auctions— and I seem to remember from reading somewhere here in 2017 that the solid gold one was valued at around $15k?

Of course solid gold would be worth more than gold plated. Still that gives you an order of magnitude.
Best regards
Edited:
 
Posts
423
Likes
1,172
Is the case gold plated? Can’t really see with the reflections.
I had the privilege to try on a watch which has some common features.... courtesy of its owner who goes by «Passion66» on Instagram. It was purchased at major Geneva auctions— and I seem to remember from reading somewhere here in 2017 that the solid gold one was valued at around $15k?

Of course solid golid gold would be worth more than gold plated.
Best regards
The case is mostly stainless steel. The lugs appear to be gold capped over stainless.
 
Posts
7,689
Likes
22,049
Then maybe the person you want dealing with it is someone like Rebecca Struthers in the UK, who’s an award winning master jeweler who is also a watchmaker. Not sure she does that kind of work, but maybe she’d know people in the US who would?
I’ll be curious what happens to it,
Cheers
 
Posts
3,683
Likes
8,484
Anyone know the approximate year of this watch?

Need the serial on the caseback to date it, but I assume it’s 40s

The case reference will also tell you the material, if it’s gold plated will start with 4.....
 
Posts
6,832
Likes
10,654
Wonderful watch. I'd say that creating 1 lug while you have 3 examples should not be a big issue.
 
Posts
1,116
Likes
3,942
lovely ref. congrats for this find! of course you've to fix it.
 
Posts
3,683
Likes
8,484
I would like to know the case reference on this one. The Sala archives pic was a 2XXXX meaning SS. This one is plated I guess, although hard to tell what is going on from the pics?
 
Posts
423
Likes
1,172
Gave it a light polish on the case and crystal. Some more photos before I send it off for some surgery.
 
Posts
2,519
Likes
17,844
Gave it a light polish on the case and crystal. Some more photos before I send it off for some surgery.

Matt:

Good luck on the work! All of us have our fingers crossed for you. 👍

Bob
 
Posts
3,683
Likes
8,484
looks amazing, best of luck ! I can't tell, are those lugs gold plated or solid gold? Rose or yellow?
 
Posts
423
Likes
1,172
looks amazing, best of luck ! I can't tell, are those lugs gold plated or solid gold? Rose or yellow?
They are solid rose gold. I found a goldsmith, who specializes in watch cases. He didn't seem to question me too much, said he could do the lugs for around $350.
 
Posts
9,588
Likes
27,704
They are solid rose gold. I found a goldsmith, who specializes in watch cases. He didn't seem to question me too much, said he could do the lugs for around $350.

Looking forward to seeing the results!
 
Posts
2,012
Likes
3,409
That is a beautiful dial, it’ll be awesome getting it back so it can be worn with pride.
An aside - why are the 3,6 & 9 second markets on the sub-dial specifically marked with a line?
 
Posts
3,683
Likes
8,484
telephony scale.....track intervals on phone calls................those are minutes not seconds........................😉
 
Posts
2,012
Likes
3,409
Yes, of course, thanks. Should’ve written minutes but haven’t had a coffee yet 😵‍💫 Good for timing an egg boiling as well, or maybe 3 eggs one after the other...