Forums Latest Members

Tudor: The poor man's Rolex?

1. CPRwatch Jun 10, 2021

Got Tudor ,got Rolex ,got Omega amongst many others brands. I only buy watches I like the look of ,not for the badge status or because it costs more than most sane people would ever consider spending .This watch thing is all about what you like ,not because of what you think someone else might like to see on your wrist . Once I finally got my head around this , watch collecting/ buying became a lot more enjoyable for me .

T<25, Glederz, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 10, 2021

A poor man buys neither a Tudor or a Rolex.

3. Walrus Jun 10, 2021

That’s right up there with a Churchill or Twain quote.

4. Stripey Jun 10, 2021

And a serious collector is not necessarily the collector who focuses on the most rare or expensive pieces.

Nobel Prize, Engee and Larry S like this.
  5. DoctorEvil Jun 10, 2021

Maybe there's a perception that Tudor is a "poor man's Rolex" because the Tudor company is owned by Rolex? Also, the styling of a couple of their watches is eerily similar to Rolex models (Black Bay GMT ?). Therefore, some people may jump to the wrong conclusion that just because you go for a Tudor, it means you can't afford a Rolex or get your hands on one.

Engee likes this.
  6. Rado63 Jun 10, 2021

Since you are asking for opinions. Here is mine. Tudor is neither the poor mans Rolex nor is it the wise mans Rolex. Eventhough it is obvious, they share DNA. Just the same as every brand in the Swatch group shares some DNA. But a Tudor, isn't a Rolex, just like a Certina isn't an Omega. As long as the watch keeps time and date or does it's functions then it works as intended. Rolex watches don't necessarily keep better time, last longer, or even look better than other brands. Rolex stirs emotions about a watch that other brands don't. I remember seeing a poster of a red Corvette and the poster reads "They don't write songs about Volvos." Maybe in Sweeden they do? I haven't heard a Tudor song, but I do know Rolex is mentioned in many songs. Final word from me is you get whatever watch you want and it fits your budget, it most likely keeps time the same as a Rolex. I have owned both Corvettes and Volvos and I know why they don't sing songs about Volvos. They work just fine, just don't stir the same emotions.

Edited Jun 11, 2021
  7. Walrus Jun 10, 2021

Ok and just to clarify those are completely “in house movements” and not modified ETA etc. correct. I am 99.9% sure I am right that Tudor does make complete in house movements for numerous watches just want to make sure and hope it sticks in my mind this time. Like I said I’m even ok with ETA and valjoux (spelling) the ones I have work wonderfully. Thanks

Duracuir1 likes this.
  8. Fish70 Jun 10, 2021

Poor men buy $4000 watches?

9. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jun 10, 2021

"This week, we explore the development of manufacture movements at Rolex-owned Tudor Watch Co." "The first movement to emerge from the new Manufacture Tudor, Caliber MT5621, was five years in the making and debuted in the Tudor North Flag model in 2015."

Full article here...https://www.watchtime.com/featured/building-the-foundation-part-4-the-in-house-movements-of-tudor/

Walrus likes this.
  10. JwRosenthal Jun 10, 2021

I own 4 Rolexes -each an iconic piece from their past catalog.
    AB413DF5-7965-4DAB-8BA3-41B4EE0CBBDF.jpeg
    They speak to the companies classic design esthetic.
    3CBE99FC-2CE7-4849-85AF-452B890A6E7E.jpeg
    Nothing in their current line up speak to me as iconic- they are all just rehashes on previously ideas. I bought them because they are the watches by which all other watches styled like them are measured.
    391286DE-D0C3-422F-97F5-34C3B1AEE291.jpeg
    I like them for what they are in my collection, but I have no illusions about them being rare or special- just iconic.
    39A2830D-900A-4794-BE67-516482B36411.jpeg

I put more “value” on my Zodiac Seawolfs as collectibles than I do my Rolexes.
    0A267495-E1AD-4470-A925-236241987050.jpeg F3394A0B-F4A5-44B6-80AC-59853834B7DE.jpeg

It’s far easier to find a clean Submariner than it is to find a crack free Bakelite bezel on a Seawolf.

Tudor has always been a fine brand on their own. I would just as happily wear a Prince as I would Datejust. Different watches different markets.

If you want something truly special from the brand- buy pre mid-00’s- before the maxi, before the rehaut of many Rolexes, before the crazy...when they were still just iconic.

393B0651-55D2-4FB0-951B-74168B469831.jpeg 59FE62DC-7E8C-4C1C-A894-B700797CE408.jpeg
    T<25, mbeast, vibe and 9 others like this.
  11. marcn Enough space to say witty Jun 11, 2021

I'll question you a bit on this, but I'll give the TL;DR first: Scratch the itch directly. Scratching nearby rarely relieves anything. And, you're unlikely to rationalize away the existence of the itch.

It may well be foolish vanity at the root of it all for you; the source of this itch you feel to get a Rolex. But honestly, so what?

And, I'd say it's only stupid to buy a Rolex if you're about to go into debt (God forbid on a credit card) to get one. I personally don't think paying grey market prices is actually stupid, either, so long as anyone about to do so understands they're buying at above MSRP, and if they think about watches first from an investment perspective, it's a pretty good predictor of future disappointment.

The heart wants what the heart wants. If you have your heart set on a Rolex, buying anything else that's an analogue of what you really want is unlikely to satisfy in the long run, and you'll first spend money on the analogue and later wind up spending to buy the real thing you actually wanted to begin with. Eventually, each look at the analogue piece will just remind you how much it's not the thing it's kinda-sorta like.

Scratch that damn itch and be done with it. Arguing with yourself about apparent virtues of brand X versus brand Y doesn't change anything, ultimately, since the heart is irrational. And, don't bother trying to justify to yourself or loved ones anything watch related. Comes down to the inner 4-year old: "BUT I WANT IT!!!"

12. Engee Jun 11, 2021

Good points here. I’ll never go into debt for a watch. I always gather the funds together first.
    And to be clear, it’s a vintage I’ll be looking for, not new.
    My original question wasn’t part of an exploration into whether I should buy a relatively expensive Rolex vintage or a relatively cheap Tudor vintage, but, I guess, a more general conversation as to why collectors would splash out on watches that have super-inflated prices relative to what they actually are. As others have said, wisely, this happens across the world of watches. If material and engineering quality were the only criteria for watch prices (and values) they’d all cost roughly the same, apart from metal prices.

As @JwRosenthal points out, it’s about the watches you want in your collection, not the amount you need to pay for them. I’m not there as a collector, I’m just in a place where I like watches and feel I want a Rolex amongst the few I have.

marcn likes this.
  13. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 11, 2021

can't stand this kind of topic title ::puke::
    Tudor makes great watches

red crowned likes this.
  14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 11, 2021

Nor does a rich man

VjaceCZ, Stripey, Larry S and 2 others like this.
  15. gbesq Jun 11, 2021

Point well taken. Not sure that there is rhyme or reason to any of it. I'm of moderate means, own several Omegas, no Rolexes or Tudors, but I do have a JLC which I would consider to be my "best" watch and in a higher horological tier than Omega, Rolex and Tudor.

Larry S likes this.
  16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 11, 2021

Larry S and dscoogs like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 11, 2021

Well, in the similar thread on WUS, it was proposed that Tudor was the brand "everyone" buys who can't afford a Rolex, until they can afford a Rolex. So yeah, pretty typical WUS Rolex forum logic. :rolleyes:

My response was that I had a Rolex long before I ever had a Tudor, and I've since sold that Rolex and still have the Tudor. I eventually bought another Rolex, and it will be gone long before I ever sell the Tudor.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 11, 2021

Yes, sort of. These are Kenissi movements, and that is a brand jointly owned by Tudor and Chanel, with Tudor being the larger shareholder (Chanel owns 20% I believe). These movements are used in Tudor, Chanel, Breitling, and Norqain watches.

Nobel Prize and Dan S like this.
  19. Awetaylor Jun 11, 2021

Using that Logic, do Longines have "in-house" movements since their movements are made by ETA which is part of the same swatch group?

20. Walrus Jun 11, 2021

Ah see that’s why I always leave a little doubt as I know I’m not well schooled in these things, most things actually, and even when advertisements clearly state “fully in house” there can be wiggle room. I’d have no problems with a Tudor my friend was selling a BB36 at a very fair price. I do like the look of that watch but having no date throws me off. I rely on that date wheel too much as I’m pretty sure senility is slipping in early on me. When I retire I can do no date wheel. I’m pretty sure the BB36 has a modified ETA that would have been fine with me it didn’t play a part in my decision not to get it. I don’t think it’s right to buy things at a “friends discount” with only the intent to resell them so I told him thanks but put it on fleabay or whatever and get more.

Perhaps this “in house” thing is splitting hairs these days if this is how the industry operates. As long as you like the watch and can deal with the price I guess that’s the main thing. It’s kinda funny how “sort of” is the acceptable answer.