Forums Latest Members

Rolex vs Tudor value bang for buck

1. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 6, 2021

because?

I was boating yesterday with two dogs, two kids, 4 adults and about a cooler worth of beer and wine. We did ok. Watches unharmed.

*To be clear. ALL watches did ok. The group had 3 rolexes (OP, GMT and DJ41, 2 Shinola watches and a Seiko ) A lot of fishing and jumping around.

Archer likes this.
  2. jaguar11 Jun 6, 2021

Nice pair! If only I still had my 14060....

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  3. Z900rsdude Jun 6, 2021

Yes, The Certina Auto’s are really overlooked for some reason. They’ve good heritage and use excellent and proven movements(reworked to their tolerance/requirement). I’ve not owned one as yet but plan to. The Powermatic 80 is the same movement used by Tissot.

4. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 6, 2021

For a lot of people it comes down to their size. I believe this piece is 43mm and looks like it will wear large. I enjoy their styling but wish they were a little smaller and I know a lot of others feel the same.

Z900rsdude likes this.
  5. river rat Jun 6, 2021

6. jhross98 Jun 6, 2021

How we went to modern certina from rolex and tudor..I'll never ever know

Z900rsdude likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 6, 2021

Umm bang for your buck Rolex and Tudor are not that banging......

Z900rsdude and Nobel Prize like this.
  8. Z900rsdude Jun 7, 2021

It’s called “The Billy Connolly” effect…Start talking about one thing and get sidetracked a thousand times about something else ;):)

DaveK likes this.
  9. Z900rsdude Jun 7, 2021

I think Tudor are excellent value especially in the used market as lots about and a great saving over rrp.

10. PMOZ Jun 8, 2021

Fantastic value with Tudor! I have a vintage Tudor Prince Oysterdate gold capped (34 MM) with fluted bezel sitting on a brown leather strap from Watchgecko. Looks absolutely killer and was almost free! Automatic ETA movement with date, so absolutely nothing to complain about!

As for their newer watches, I think the BB Chrono panda looks killer, and I hope to see a GMT with BB58 casing in the future - these two are defintely on my list and would like to purchase in the future. However, the next one is a Rolex as I would like an OP 36MM or a Valjoux 88 vintage watch ;p

Z900rsdude, Nobel Prize and jhross98 like this.
  11. jhross98 Jun 8, 2021

i agree w this. bb58 and bb36 are both outstanding value for money especially since now available below list

PMOZ likes this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 8, 2021

Now that's a model that definitely maintains the Rolex DNA into a great and more affordable offering!

PMOZ likes this.
  13. PMOZ Jun 8, 2021

Yes! I actually don't understand that they are not more popular, they have Rolex Oyster case and even the crown is Rolex, it has the logo and it says it clearly on the back. Then it comes as gold capped rather than plated - making it much more resistant, i.e., the gold is in perfect 14K condition glowing out a fantastic color, especially in the summer.

The ETA movement makes them very servicable and overall I think it is a great value watch as they can be found to 500-800 EUR on straps.

Another great Tudor (IMO) is the Submariner (75090 and 75190) at 36 MM, I particularly like this as it has a perfect size for people with smaller wrists. For me 36 MM is the sweet spot, while I do have a Speedy Pro that looks great, the 42MM is a bit large. I just wish I had snatched up one of those Tudor Subs before the prices went amok haha
    + you get tritium patina at a very affordable price compared to vintage Rolex Subs

Z900rsdude likes this.
  14. jhross98 Jun 8, 2021

This one is tough to beat in the modern lineup IMO. 36mm

20210608_161300.jpg

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  15. jhross98 Jun 8, 2021

Or for my money one of the better blue dials they ever made

20210608_121652.jpg

PMOZ likes this.
  16. jhross98 Jun 8, 2021

oops. actually meant to post those in the "if i could have any current rolex thread" but oh well

17. Donn Chambers Jun 9, 2021

Any Rolex sports model purchased at list price is a better bang for your buck than Tudor — mainly because you can flip them immediately, get 25% profit (at least) and then buy even more Tudors. :)

Nobel Prize and Z900rsdude like this.
  18. Z900rsdude Jun 9, 2021

But you can’t get one at rrp, that’s the problem

19. timmills Dec 2, 2021

The Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight, in my opinion, is now more in line with the Rolex Submariner's initial concept. Essentially, it's a no-nonsense diving watch with respectable specs and an acceptable price tag (apart from some obviously outdated accents). It's established itself as a solid choice for a fantastic everyday watch that looks excellent in a number of settings. The Rolex Submariner, on the other hand, boasts high-end finishes, impressive specifications, and a hefty price tag. It's quite tough to locate, and it frequently shares space with other high-end brands. Yes, it can still function underwater or during fishing expeditions. However, it has attained such a high level of exclusivity that most people would wear a less expensive watch for such occasions. That's unfortunate, but we're stuck where we are. I and my colleague Tuba Sarosh had recently discussed the brand Tudor and Rolex. Feel free to read it to understand more.