Forums Latest Members

Tudor: The poor man's Rolex?

1. Al22 Aug 10, 2021

Bought a bb58 at the weekend. It was sitting in the window. I can't resist. It's a great bang for the bug.
    PXL_20210810_180036770.jpg PXL_20210808_161332952.jpg PXL_20210808_161323312.PORTRAIT.jpg

2. jaguar11 Aug 10, 2021

3. ckhaing Aug 10, 2021

That exactly is how I would like to express myself as well but incapable of proper wordcraft as you did. Thanks for the enlightenment! ---->> I’m very much on the nursery slopes of the collecting world so, if anything, take my post as naive rather than insulting.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  4. vbrad26 Aug 11, 2021

Well, I can't afford a Pepsi Rolex GMT but I can swing the Pepsi Tudor GMT.
    But If I had the means it would be the former.
    So take that as you want lol.
    I don't see Tudor is being inferior or anything like that necessarily.
    I think I'd be just as excited to see the Tudor out in the wild as I would be to see the Rolex.
    Well, that may be a bit of a stretch, but it is mostly accurate. So no, I do not see the Tudor as being the poor mans Rolex.
    However specifically in my case, it is hah.

5. gbesq Aug 11, 2021

The Tudor’s hands don’t appeal to me, but I think that the brand makes a good watch that is less subject to the marketing hype, artificial scarcity and rampant value speculation that abounds with Rolex.

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 11, 2021

I think you're just trying to rationalize collector whims....there is no single rationale to any collecting. Some base their criteria in rarity, some on value, some on history, some on aesthetics, some don't have a set criteria and float around like flags in the wind allowing their collecting to follow trends....none are an issue, it's a hobby. Yes there are businesses set around any hobby, and there are "professionals" that have a more commercial aspect to their collecting, but for the most part collecting is always to be sensible to the collector, and senseless to the neofite or uninterested.

If you don't particularly like watches anything beyond a Casio or an i-watch is stupid. I don't get people that collect sneakers....sneakers!!! worth thousands!!!!!!!....yes. Who am I really to questions peoples hobbies?

I got into Rolex through vintage but ended up really liking and appreciating the brand as a whole. I don't like everything they do, I generally like the pre ceramic and maxi dials subs, I like the modern OP lines and DJ lines. I somewhat fell in love with the Hulk and love the ceramic Daytoina over the steel classic Daytona and under the true vintage panda Daytonas. I also have a strong presence on IWC in my collection, a great brand but one that arguably has also lost some of it's heart in modern times.

Am I trying to impress? not really, I am well aware that the value of my collection exceeds the impressive and populates the stupid when measured against my actual financial value...BUT,

I do enjoy wearing these watches. I really really enjoy it. I have Tudor and Omega and enjoy them to (Specially my AT) but through the years watches come and go and the collection shapes itself in different ways.

There was a time where I had 9 Omegas, now I have 1. There was a time there was one Rolex, Now there are....more. In a few years maybe I'll have only sand clocks....I don't really know. I am just enjoying myself.

I don't try to rationalize my collection to myself. Why are people trying to rationalize it for me?

Edited Aug 11, 2021
    Kraut783, Engee and Al22 like this.
  7. ossodiseppia Aug 12, 2021

It's all according to your taste. Why do you want a Rolex? Do you want it for show? OR, do you want a really fine watch?