Forums Latest Members

Tudor: The poor man's Rolex?

1. Engee Jun 10, 2021

Or the wise man's Rolex?

If flashing your watch around so people see the label is important, then perhaps there's no substitute for a Rolex, but otherwise, would it not be the smarter move to go with a Tudor, assuming you like the design, of course?

2. Dan S Jun 10, 2021

Drunk posting? :thumbsdown:

3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jun 10, 2021

WUS is that-a-way -------->

4. Engee Jun 10, 2021

Bit early for me, but OK, maybe I'm in a state of mindlessness due to a very early start and low motivation for the work tasks I have ahead of me.

That said, is it really such a silly question? Are the third party movements so inferior to the Rolex in-house movements? Does the higher grade stainless steel really make such a big difference?

I know how important branding is, but to serious collectors who know what's what, why do they not give up on Rolex as what appears to be a classic Veblen good?

Don't get me wrong, I'm heading for my first Rolex, but I know that my reason is pure foolish vanity. I fancy a Rolex on my wrist, but seriously, that's stupid isn't it?

Maybe the reason for my post is I'm looking for re-assurance that I'm not on the verge of spaffing a few grand.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  5. longhornbba We need to talk about your TPS reports. Jun 10, 2021

I used to be totally against Tudor because I thought they were the poor man's Rolex, but after I did some more research about the brand I've changed my mind. Plus I'm a poor man lol.

I like what Tudor is doing. They're pushing the envelope in ways that Rolex won't and are making great watches. Plus, their watches are actually available and don't require your first born and a kidney to purchase.

I'm buying his and hers Tudors for my wedding and will get his and hers Rolexes on one of our anniversaries.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 10, 2021

The serious collector is way above Rolex price point.
    or
    Vintage that is way above new.

Same as I have mentioned before with Speedmasters, serious collectors are not buying Snoopy they are buying vintage 321s

7. keepsonticking Jun 10, 2021

This discussion and similar discussions are tired. I can point you to several excellent 60 dollar mechanical watches from China that look and run great. Driving a Mercedes is money poorly spent, as well, but we do what we want with the money we have earned. I buy silly things all the time. And Tudor is just slightly less overpriced than Rolex. (I own and enjoy several Rolex watches.)

8. Dan S Jun 10, 2021

It's worse than silly. This type of comment in a Rolex sub-forum is deliberately provocative and borderline insulting IMO. I understand that it's only a watch forum, but still, why do it?

morningtundra, Faz and NGO1 like this.
  9. Barqy Jun 10, 2021

I think that's why many of us buy Omega. It offers more value per dollar in a ton of categories - the new METAS movement is a great example vs. Rolex and many other brands.

With that said, I agree that you can get many boxes checked off with a watch sub $500 bones.

As cliche as it is, buy what YOU like. If that means having something flashy or instantly recognizable as a luxury piece, fill your boots!

Engee likes this.
  10. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jun 10, 2021

You may find it borderline insulting, but he's right. Rolex is by and far the most widely recognized luxury watch brand in the world. He's not saying everyone who buys a Rolex is doing so to make a statement. He's saying that if your goal was to flaunt a label - Rolex is always the safe bet.

As for your question, Engee - if you're asking questions as simple as: is Tudor the poor man's Rolex and which one should I buy? The answer is - you probably shouldn't buy either. Yet.

Edited Jun 10, 2021
  11. DSotW Jun 10, 2021

It's likely being marketed as more of an entry level luxury watch that will make you want to buy a Rolex later in life (when you earn more money), similar to how car companies have lower-cost brands and higher cost brands (Mini-BMW, VM Group with Seat-Skoda-VW-Audi, etc)

I have only ever had 1 person comment on a watch, and that was a Vostok. Likely, most people really do not care what you wear on your wrist unless they are trying to "size you up" in order to sell you something, or are a WIS...

Engee and Walrus like this.
  12. Walrus Jun 10, 2021

Ha ha same here I’ve only had one Rolex it was a quartz cellini I actually did really like it for many years but I never had anyone comment on it. I think a while back a couple people commented on my seiko alpanist (the green dial one) very very infrequently have people commented on any of more expensive watches, none being Rolex level anyway. I do prefer it that way I think I would be paranoid or embarrassed if I got a lot of comments.

Engee likes this.
  13. Engee Jun 10, 2021

Apologies, it’s not my intention at all to be provocative. I’m very much on the nursery slopes of the collecting world so, if anything, take my post as naive rather than insulting.

I’m really not sure why you’re offended, though. I now understand that this is a well worn conversation but surely it’s the sort of topic that is bound to come up from time to time?

I did a search on the topic but didn’t find much of use beyond the technical differences between the two marques. Already here there have been some responses that I have found enlightening.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  14. Walrus Jun 10, 2021

I think some people are very passionate about collecting, the knowledge they have gathered and have such appreciation for their pieces flashing or showing off is the furthest thing from their mind. Just my guess anyway but you do know that Tudor has in house movements right. Or are all of their “In house movements” modified ETA’s. Doesn’t some of their newest line specifically advertise an “in house movement”.

Engee likes this.
  15. Engee Jun 10, 2021

Point taken about collecting vs flashing. I overlooked the fact that many collectors are not necessarily wearers, and those that are, don’t wear for show, but for love of the piece.

On in-house movement, I understood Tudor uses ETA or Valjoux movements. Does modified make them in-house?

Walrus likes this.
  16. Walrus Jun 10, 2021

Actually I don’t think I ever cleared that up but what was the new “1926” I think is the new line, which I think advertises as a “in house movement” but again if I dig I may very well find it’s a modified ETA. Darn now I’m not even sure it’s the 1926 but it was new this year and I think looks pretty nice. I should Google these things before posting instead of guessing and hope I get it right. I don’t mind a good ETA anyway.

and to clarify I wasn’t trying to take you to school on the Rolex flashing thing, just my assessment of the situation. Like I said I don’t even own a Rolex and probably won’t be anytime soon.

Engee likes this.
  17. AngelDeVille Jun 10, 2021

I'm a little bit snobby, but the only Rolex I really want is a blue face, two tone, jubilee, datejust. no others do it for me.

I haven't seen a Tudor that makes my heart skip a beat.

My 80% of the time wear watch is a 6k Aqua Terra.

I'm wearing a sub $200 Bertucci quartz tank as I type this.... but it is titanium, so there's that....

I have a collection of 1970's Seiko that are easily worth $60 each, maybe even $65 for a couple of them... service on a couple was $125 each.

buy, wear, collect what you like

Tako Yaki, Walrus and Engee like this.
  18. Engee Jun 10, 2021

Didn’t feel taken to school at all, and even if you were that would be OK - I’m a schoolboy at this game for sure.

Walrus and jaguar11 like this.
  19. jaguar11 Jun 10, 2021

Different brand, different watch, different price point, different marketing. No comparison. Buy the suit that fits be it one or the other. No more a comparison to me than say a Longines. Is that a poor mans Rolex?

Edited Jun 10, 2021
    watch3s, NGO1, apsm100 and 1 other person like this.
  20. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jun 10, 2021

The Pelagos is powered with the new TUDOR Manufacture Calibre MT5612.
    The new BB Chrono has the Manufacture Calibre MT5813 (COSC)
    The BB58 and BB GMT also have in-house movements.

Kraut783, VjaceCZ, RealFire and 2 others like this.