Troubleshooting: hand winding an AT cal 2500

Hello,

I really hope you guys can help. I am in need of some assistance, as i am having trouble with my newly aquired AT.

I recently bought myself a Seamaster Aqua Terra 2502.34.00, and i am very happy with it. But i am having trouble hand winding it when it powers totally down. As i understand, the cal 2500 has 3 stages besides being screwed into the case for waterproofing the watch. Below is how i understand the movement:

1 where the crown is turned untill it is "free-to-move" This is where you can handwind it, if the crown is turned forward (the way that there is resistance). If the crown is pressed into the case as well, you lock the corn back into the case.
Here the movement does not stop. The second hand keeps moving.

2 this is the first "click" when pulling the crown outwards from position 1. Here the date can be set, and again, the movement keeps going.

3 this is where you set the hour/minute hands. Here the movement stops.

Now, i have some problems regarding handwinding the watch. When i go directly to position 1 and try to handwind the watch (when it has been totally powered down), nothing happens. It does not start after i screw the crown back in. Even if i put it into position 2 or 3 afterwards, it does not start.
I did hand-wind it eventually, but i do not know why it worked. I turned the watch a few times for the automatic winding to start, the movement started, and i pulled the crown out to position 1 and wound it. put the crown in position 3 to set the time, but when putting the crown into position 1 again, it did not start. After putting the crown into pos 1 and then 3 a few times, the movement started again.

Is it me that are misunderstanding how the movement works? Or is it time for a service of the watch? it has serialnr. 80mil, but i do not know the service history. I also have untill thursday to return the watch, so that might just be the best option and then keep hunting for the watch.

Hope you can help!

Groenn

After releasing the screw-down crown, it should be completely as winding a non screw-down crown. The movement does, as you've written, not stop in that setting.

I had some issues with my previous Seamaster Pro with the 2500 movement, but that was related to the watch having been completely unused for some years prior to me buying it and those issues passed reasonably fast.

It should work in the 1 position...do you feel any residence? Google handwinding eta 2892 or see what YouTube holds with that regards

@ConElPueblo: That sounds promising, as the seller said that it had been idle for a while. How long was "reasonably fast" if you remember ?

@al128: I watched on the Omega Channel where they explained how the handwinding worked, which i tried - but it seems as it does not always wind up when i try. I have now "shaken it" around 50 times in hope that it charged it fully. In position 1, when manually winding it, i do it in the direction of the resistance, like i do on my manual watches.

To me it does not sound like there is any problem with the winding of the watch, just that it doesn't start/run as it should. I would say it's time to take it in to be looked at, and possibly serviced.

Cheers, Al

Mine was a 2009 model, and I got it in 2014 - I'd say that it had been unused before then as there wasn't a single scratch on it, nor signs of refinishing. It probably took a couple of weeks to get into a proper rythm, after that the accurace was sublime. Sold it recently.

How old is your watch?

I was thinking the same thing Archer. But as i imported the watch to europe, it is beginning to be an expensive purchase if it needs a service already.

The serialnumber is 80mil, so i guess its from 06-07. But it has virtually no visible wear and tear, so i expect it is the same as yours. But as Archer said, it feels more like a start/stop problem, but as a combination of having being idle for awhile .

If the watch is ten years old, I'd say it is in need of a service anyway 😀

True - what i meant was that i had hoped it had been serviced and was running more smoothly 😀

In position 1 do you feel any resistance when you wind? If there is resistance please try next. Turn watch around so you see caseback. Try to wind in position 1 with turned watch. Please report.

@omegasaso12 There is some resistance compared to if i wind it counterclockwise. There is no difference in the level of resistance when i turn the watch upside down.