Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage 1950s Patek Philippe Ref. 2552 “Disco Volante” w/ Legendary Cal. 12-600 AT

1. tomvox1 Jun 28, 2016

Selling this great Patek on behalf of a friend with my 100% backing. I am in possession of the watch and will handle the shipping; payment will go directly to him.

PP2552-lng copy.jpg

PP2552-8 copy.jpg

Up for sale is this classic and rare Patek Philippe reference 2552 in Yellow Gold, aka the "Disco Volante" or Flying Saucer due to the large size and elaborately stepped bezel. This is a very hard model to find in this sort of wonderful original condition and this example features both a very sharp case and beautiful eggshell dial that has aged to a wonderfully warm ivory patina. A highly sought-after classic of mid-century watch design, the 2552 is the true Disco Volante even if that moniker is thrown around quite loosely these days. It is also one of those special models that sports Patek Philippe's revered automatic caliber 12-600 AT under the hood, the renowned Swiss manufacture's first and some might say best attempt at an automatic movement. Chances are if you're reading this ad I don't have to tell you all the things that make the 12-600 AT special but suffice to say it is a technological wonder of its time, with their proprietary Gyromax balance, double-winding action, multiple adjustments for precision and a stunning solid 18k rotor.

This beautiful movement has also just been fully overhauled for years' more faithful service to the new owner and will come with a 6-month movement guarantee for all normal, non-abusive use. This Disco Volante is in Excellent vintage condition overall with few if any signs of case polish and also comes on a newer Patek croc strap with a genuine 1950s period 18k Patek buckle mounted, as well as a red Petek travel pouch. This is a special watch for the serious collector and at a moment when run-of-the-mill, B-level vintage sports watches are going for crazy money it's reassuring that when you're buying a desirable vintage Patek Philippe like the Disco Volante you're buying a blue chipper with a proven track record of value retention and growth. So what you pay today will not be blown away by the winds of fashion tomorrow!

The asking price for this iconic Patek Philippe "Disco Volante" 2552 is $16,450 USD OBRO including fully insured shipping worldwide. Payment is by Bank Wire only and directly to my consignor on this transaction. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting. Please contact me at [email protected] for all inquiries.

PP2552-4 copy.jpg PP2552-2 copy.jpg PP2552-9 copy.jpg PP2552-1 copy.jpg PP2552-5 copy.jpg PP2552-bk copy.jpg PP2552-move copy.jpg PP2552-innrbk copy.jpg PP2552-crwn copy.jpg PP2552-sd copy.jpg PP2552-bkl copy.jpg PP2552-bk2 copy.jpg PP2552-3 copy.jpg
    CASE & BACK: Heavy, solid 18-karat yellow gold 2-piece screwed water resistant case measures a full size 36mm wide (not including crown) x 41mm long x about 10mm thick to the top of the crystal. The case shows very little if any polish with nice, sharply defined edges to the trademark wide, double-stepped bezel, perhaps subtly smoothed by cuff wear but also burnished by time for that ultra-warm tone that only old gold possesses. Downward sloping lugs are thick and the outside of the top left lug shows its gold hallmark clearly. This watch was clearly worn and enjoyed over its 60 or so years of life and the case shows some marks, as well as one small nick to the top left lug and a small scrape to the bottom case lip between the lugs at "6". That said this beautiful case is easily in overall Excellent vintage condition. The notched outer screw-in caseback is dedication-free and in Excellent+ condition with a few very small dings but displaying its original circular factory finish. The inner caseback has the correct model reference number as well as full 6-digit case serial number and all correct hallmarks for a gold Patek Philippe case of this era. The Disco Volante really has a beautiful shape that is bold enough to set it apart from most dress watches of its time and also possesses the size and design ethos for making a statement today.

DIAL & HANDS: Beautiful off-white, eggshell finish dial that has acquired a wonderfully warm ivory patina with age. All original Patek dial printing is present, as are the faceted gold bar markers and the characteristic recessed minute track dots. There are a few minor signs of age to the surface of the dial and markers visible under a loupe but overall the dial is in Excellent original condition and the creamy vintage tone is really quite special. Classic gold dauphine hour and minute hands and small sub-seconds hand are likewise Excellent with only small signs of age. A classic Patek layout with a uniquely beautiful patina that only time can give!

CROWN: Fantastic, almost architectural original oversized "Double-P" crown kicks the watch up another level, as many of these beauties have been replaced through the years. It sits tightly recessed against the case and winds and pulls out to the time-setting position exactly as designed. This might be my favorite crown in the vintage watch world. It's just that cool.

CRYSTAL: Low-domed acrylic crystal with gently sloping edges that meet the bezel beautifully is nice and clear with no crazing and is essentially Near Mint with barely any wear visible.

MOVEMENT: This 2552 features the legendary cal. 12-600 AT, Patek's very first automatic movement made in the mid to late 1950s in a very small run of a reported 7100 pieces. The "12" standing for 12 lignes, this gorgeous movement features 30 jewels, the Geneva seal reserved for exceptional calibers, a solid 18k rotor with stunning engine turned engraving that winds in both directions for maximum efficiency, 5 positional adjustments, as well as further adjustments for heat, cold and isochromism, and Patek's patented Gyromax balance and a top flight Breguet hairspring all beating at a rapid 19,800 bph. This exceptional machine has just been fully serviced and so is running like a top. It will therefore also come with a 6-month movement guarantee for all normal, non-abusive use. I'm not much for display back conversions but if I owned this watch, I'd be sorely tempted!

STRAP & BUCKLE: This stunning Disco Volante comes on a very lightly worn, standard length genuine Patek Philippe crocodile strap in cognac. Better yet it is also accompanied by its period correct 18k gold buckle with the proper hallmarks for the time. These 1950s PP buckles are hard to come by and represent serious value for money in their own right so this is a nice bonus. The watch will also come with a modern red Patek travel pouch.

As a matter of policy, I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great Vintage Patek Philippe is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
    T.
    [email protected]

Edited Jun 29, 2016
    smish, tinger, Fer Seamaster and 19 others like this.
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 28, 2016

Man! I need to play the lottery!

What a beauty!

OMGRLX likes this.
  3. tomvox1 Jun 29, 2016

Thank you very much for the kind words!
    Best,
    T.

4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jun 29, 2016

One of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen, and in so many respects...::love::

... and an equally eloquent description, I must add!

RawArcher likes this.
  5. Optimizer13 Jun 30, 2016

Top seller and top watch! What else do you need!?:thumbsup:

6. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 30, 2016

$16,450 laying around my wife wouldn't notice missing...

mrxnyc and Optimizer13 like this.
  7. tomvox1 Jun 30, 2016

Thanks a lot guys and that seems likely that your wife wouldn't miss it, ahsposo. Maybe check the couch cushions? :D
    This beauty is now OHPF.
    Thanks again & also wishing a great 4th of July weekend to my fellow Yanks! :thumbsup:
    Tom

8. tomvox1 Jun 30, 2016

Thank you very much -- appreciate the kind words. :thumbsup:
    All the best,
    Tom

9. Fer Seamaster Jul 2, 2016

I must say one of the nicest watches I have seen in this forum... And that movement is probably one of the nicest PP ever.

I wish I had the money and not waiting to be father of twins.

GLWS

George.A likes this.
  10. tomvox1 Jul 9, 2016

Thanks very much for the kind words! But of course I'm sure your impending (double) fatherhood will be way more gratifying than this lovely old watch. ;)
    And this great vintage PP is now officially SOLD.
    All the best,
    T.

OMGRLX and Fer Seamaster like this.