Forums Latest Members

Trigger warning: ignored and abused Seamaster

1. JeremyS Jul 27, 2019

I would just send it to Omega. They aren't going to force you to replace parts for cosmetic reasons. At the very least, you'll have an idea as to the repair cost. Omega tends to replace a lot of watch parts within their full service whether those parts require replacement or not, simply because it's more expedient for them to do so (i.e. the parts are cheaper for them than the labor). They also replace the crown and HE valve at no charge. This policy might actually serve you better in a situation where the movement has water damage.

larryganz, Speedy2254 and madmanmike like this.
  2. JFerraro819 Jul 27, 2019

I'd send to omega.

3. Stufflers Mom Jul 27, 2019

I agree, why take the risk in sending it anywhere else?

4. Evitzee Jul 27, 2019

Send it to Omega, if you like their quote and what they propose to do then you can procede. If not then you can regroup and decide in what other direction you want to go. This is the definition of a tool watch, I wouldn't be concerned about a replaced dial or hands if Omega insists it has to be done. Goal is to get a well running watch with the proper WR at a reasonable price.

madmanmike likes this.
  5. jaymyms Jul 27, 2019

This watch has such a nice patina that matches up with all the years of service it’s given you. Restoring this to new shiny hands, bezel and dial would be a mistake IMO. That movement isn’t in-house or rare nor are its parts, I’d imagine. I’d stick to a local or semi-local Omega Certified watchmaker if it were me. That bezel fade is aces.

madmanmike likes this.
  6. impalla62ss Jul 27, 2019

Keep in mind that the $500 service quoted by Omega does not include replacement parts, and there is a good chance you may need parts. Also The has an Omega Cal. 1120, or less likely an ETA 1109. The Omega movement is based on the ETA 2892 and this is an even more common movement. Any good watchmaker should have not issues working on this. I did a search on the forum and found this quote for a watchmaker in Nashville, "You might check out Ratt and Son. This is not a recommendation just a result of a google search." It kind of looks like you have tritium lume from the photo, a replacement dial should have superluminova and this may benefit you during diving. Another option, although not the best, is to search eBay for 'Omega 2531.80.' A good used example of that watch runs $1,500 to $2,000. I am posting a photo of mine which I paid $1,530 for. Whatever you decide, be sure to post pictures of the watch when you are done with the repair. Every story needs a happy ending.
    s-l1600.jpg

madmanmike likes this.
  7. Gamma Jul 27, 2019

Surely if you send it to omega it’s a free option for you? If you like their recommendation and quote you get the work done. If not decline their offer and they send the watch back to you untouched. What’s the problem with that?

8. MRC Jul 27, 2019

You pay a fee upfront for the estimate. If you accept Omega's quote the fee is subtracted from the final bill, if not you don't get you money back.

9. Pepe Lucas Jul 27, 2019

That must be kind of new because the last service I did was a couple of years ago. My OB never charged me anything upfront and I have declined services too. Also most of the parts were included with a few exceptions like dial, special crystal and bezel.

10. MRC Jul 27, 2019

Perhaps it's a "vintage" thing? My test of Omega's service was a late 1970's quartz Seamaster that the local AD insisted had to go to Switzerland. Perhaps they realised that the service cost would be more than its current value.

It's value to me was more than the service cost so it went for a holiday in Switzerland I cannot afford for myself :(

11. Pepe Lucas Jul 27, 2019

It might be an AD thing more than a vintage one. All the watches that Omega has serviced for me were vintage. 60’s and 70’s. I have heard that ADs might have different policies (they don’t really make that much money on services through Omega so they don’t want to deal with them). Regarding to going to Switzerland some movements have to go there for service.

12. Pepe Lucas Jul 27, 2019

I had different experiences with AD’s and OB’s trying to get service on a watch. I have a Mark 4.5 that needed service.
    It was my first chronograph so I researched places to service the watch. I saw that Tourneau was an AD and could send the watch to Omega. Omega had just opened a boutique across from Tourneau but to me at the time the boutique seemed intimidating so I went to Tourneau. The person that greeted me coming in was really nice and welcoming until I told him that I wanted my watch service. He then changed his attitude after he saw that I wasn’t going to buy a new watch so he recommended me to go to Omega. He said that basically the watch was going to Omega anyway. I have been a loyal boutique customer since then.

13. drhombus24 Jul 27, 2019

Not entirely true. Omega will replace many parts as part of a service included in the 550 they charge. Things like dials and bezels are extra though

14. impalla62ss Jul 27, 2019

I am assuming that his will need more parts than the standard service replacement parts, given the description. Who really knows until a watchmaker gets into it. From what I am hearing, the standard replacement parts list is pretty long though.

15. tmilnthorp Jul 27, 2019

Wow. You are definitely in the minority - those who use the watch for what it was designed for! 500 dives a hear is impressive. Good on ya!

I hope you'll keep us updated assuming you send it in. I'm always happy to see these workhorses living on!

madmanmike likes this.
  16. Evitzee Jul 27, 2019

Tourneau was always off putting to me. I suspect you are talking about the Tourneau at La Cantera, the few times I went in there the staff were young, clueless and untrained, their job was to sell stuff to people who knew even less. Of course Tourneau closed all Texas stores a few years back (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio), maybe their schtick works on the east and west coasts but not elsewhere.

gerrya and Pepe Lucas like this.
  17. Pepe Lucas Jul 28, 2019

You are right, it was in la Cantera. I was puzzled when he sent me over to the Boutique. I never bought anything from Tourneau, they had nice watch brands but no knowledge about any of them.

18. madmanmike Jul 29, 2019

Ok. Lots of choices and decisions. Pulled the trigger and sent the watch to @Archer today. He's pretty busy and may not get to even crack the case for a few weeks, but I felt this was the best route to go. I'm still undecided on whether to replace the bezel, but I do want the case and band polished. I guess the final cost of parts will sway me on the new bezel decision. Just hope the movement isn't unrepairable.

Thanks to all for your opinions and suggestions. I'll try to update this thread as he updates me.

Michael

19. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 29, 2019

You made a very wise decision, and congrats on getting into Archer's queue. He has posted in the past about resurrecting some seriously rusted movements, and would be the first person in North America that I would have reached out to for something like this.

20. Poppydog Jul 29, 2019

Really? Different to the UK, then: Omega serviced mine in 2017 and replaced the dial, hands etc for the standard service cost.