Forums Latest Members
  1. bkonkel Aug 19, 2019

Hi guys,

Noob here with a passion for vintage Omegas and finally enough money in his pocket to try to find the right one. Of course, I had to go finding myself hooked on the 60s-era Seamasters with black dials. Looking on eBay for these things feels like trying to buy a pair of Ray-Bans in Central Park in New York. I know just enough to know that I really need to ask for help.

--I know that crosshairs tend to be suspect due to their popularity, particularly if they don't align properly.
    --Obvious font issues/lettering thickness
    --Dial appears too "new"
    --I think it's quite a bit harder to fake the "tropical" or "meteorite" dials, right?

Here's where I'm stuck: am I looking for white or silver lettering for the "Seamaster" and minute markers? I've looked at so many of these now, I feel like I'm seeing both.

Thoughts about this specimen? Supposedly it's a solid gold case, though seems a little strange to not have any photos of the movement or crown.

s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg
  2. TNTwatch Aug 19, 2019

You got it mostly right. There are also some lume spots coherent with the T marking and lumed hands. Even patina ageing of the dial could look good in real life. Crown looks right. Gold lugs are soft though.

3. Vitezi Aug 20, 2019

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Black Seamasters are highly sought after, and many of the ones you'll find on the market have been modified (usually repainted) to look like the one worn by Don Draper. The one you have found looks like a nicely-aged original black dial based on the few pictures you have posted. You'll want to get some focused, well-lit pictures of the movement and the entire case, as soft gold cases have usually been so heavily polished as to resemble a melted soap bar.

Overall, the best advice we can offer you is to slow down and take the time to educate yourself on what to look for before spending your money. Start with these threads:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/horology-101-understanding-your-watch.76731/

If you acquire a vintage watch, don't forget to have it serviced by an independent watchmaker familiar with vintage watches, as the movement should be evaluated for wear and tear, then cleaned, lubricated and adjusted.

ConElPueblo, DaveK and Larry S like this.
  4. Tigeranteater Aug 20, 2019

Excellent advice

5. bkonkel Aug 20, 2019

Much appreciated! Thank you all for your help.

6. JwRosenthal Aug 20, 2019

Love your Ray-ban in Central Park analogy- totally on the nose.

Unless you really have an eagle-eye or are incredibly lucky, just avoid the Ebay black seamsters all together- you will get burned. They do pop up on the classifieds here from time to time, so hang around, read much and get your skills up. The "is this real or fake" threads are very helpful.