Forums Latest Members
  1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 28, 2021

So on FB someone posted this and asked how the reference was. It got a lot of its fake comments and at first I assumed it was just the FB group idiocy where someone always calls a watch a fake.

B3C9A62D-AE83-474A-9AF6-C07A32B55635.png

As I own one of these in a different color variation a quick scan said real. Subdials details are right, quality looks good, Angled bezel. Never seen one of these faked at a high level.

missed the completely obvious tell.

tldr: even if you know what your doing you can still miss an obvious fake.

For the record this is a real one. Sure a few details are slightly off but even if you owned one you wouldn’t notice the slight differences in hour markers and slightly ring around the subdials.
    621BB318-F7D1-418F-8B53-DB6EFF895894.png

2. EauTerre Mar 28, 2021

Comparing the two pics, the presence of indices at 3 and 9 o'clock, as well as the raised date, are pretty dead giveaways.

But kudos for reporting on your mistake. How much did you lose in that scam ?

zkramez likes this.
  3. Burrogs Mar 28, 2021

Diff color date windows too.

4. JwRosenthal Mar 28, 2021

Wow- that is actually a decent looking fake. As I don’t know the reference, I would have been fooled without seeing a real one in comparison side-by-side. No matter how long we have been at this, sometimes when we start looking at the minutia, we overlook the glaring issues- like “Switzerladn”. ::facepalm2::

DaveK and Foo2rama like this.
  5. Wetworks Mar 28, 2021

And the 24 minute totalizer

Vercingetorix and cvalue13 like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 28, 2021

yup exactly my point lol. Lower skilled people can spot it instantly. Experienced people completely miss the sub dial markings.... a massively easy tell.

7. cvalue13 Mar 28, 2021

Uhhhhhh, and why might we need two 60 minute totalizers?

:whistling:

8. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 28, 2021

Naw... that's the weekalizer, rare option that.

My uncle had one, the prototype no less...

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 28, 2021

I wasn’t buying it. Someone was asking about that reference and asking about it. I own one of them and was going to give my thoughts. The poster accidentally posted a fake one.

Most fakes from this time period are obvious fakes. This level of quality is unexpected for a model like this at that time. So many experienced collectors would not realize it’s a fake at a casual glance.

Its a model most of us know exists but don’t see that often, hence the minor details are not noticed. I own it in a different color and I missed the minor details at first, because it’s really well finished and detailed, which you would not expect in a fake from that era.

the large glaring detail of the obviously wrong subdial recording is completely glossed over.

Walrus and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. Engee Mar 28, 2021

“Omega” and “Seamaster” look out of alignment too, and unless it’s poor lighting, “Seamaster” looks like it’s climbing uphill.

Socks likes this.
  11. nismo Mar 28, 2021

The giveaway for me is the gigantic font of the minute numbers. Look at just the number 60 there on the fake vs real. The real one has a small font. The rest are all gigantic font on the fake.

12. pdxleaf ... Mar 28, 2021

Thanks for posting this, especially with the correct version for comparison.

Another good reminder for staying vigilant when considering a purchase. It's funny how the mind sees what it expects to see and not what is actually there. I didn't immediately pick up on the double 60 register until reading about it in a follow up post. That would be a gut punch when the watch arrives in the mail. How could I miss that.

Again, thanks for the thread.

EauTerre and Foo2rama like this.
  13. Walrus Mar 28, 2021

I see both sides here. I certainly can see how it’s a “quality rep” aka “shitter” that’s what the collectors of these things call them. I frequent Reddit for some of my other hobbies and there is a large collector base of reps. I’ve talked to a few of these guys and many have no desire to fool people but it seems the new thing, it’s probably not new just new to me is reps of vintage Rolex. It’s a bit concerning, some actually look pretty good although I’m sure they are easy tells for people knowledgable about vintage Rolex. Looks like they work to get that aged lume look down pretty good. It certainly is concerning, I’m not the watch police. About a month ago I saw a couple that looked pretty convincing, didn’t want to post them here but certainly something to keep up to date with. I know they are out there with “rep vintage omegas” of course. Just scary stuff in general.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  14. JwRosenthal Mar 28, 2021

The Rolex thing has been scary, particularly as some of these rep builders are very good and pay excruciating attention to detail- they know what they are doing. Most do it for personal enjoyment and have no intention to fool anyone if they chose to sell one, but if someone bought it with the intention of passing it off as real....

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 28, 2021

I agree but @Walrus you’ve been around awhile, this is not a model I’d seen faked at high finishing level. Hence I just assumed it was good, like many around here would at a casual glance.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  16. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 28, 2021

Sometimes it's just downright funny. I found a post from someone (not on here) bragging about their rep that they bought. They were only disappointed that it looked "too new" for its "age." They boasted of their efforts by scratching it up with sandpaper and are "super proud" to have a vintage sub now. if I had been drinking anything when I had read their post, it would have been a spit take all over my computer. Below is their before/after (for clarity- these are not my pictures. I would never buy into this shit).
    1026702-9cbcd6c34b85ad5c72cd17cb49b001b0.jpg
    1026703-03f414138b4c2863c335fdfc030d93da.jpg

Edited Mar 28, 2021
    EauTerre likes this.
  17. Walrus Mar 28, 2021

Oh definitely I agree I saw exactly what you were saying. I just used the opportunity to bring up the many vintage Rolex reps I’ve been seeing which also look relatively good at a quick glimpse. I just used your bringing this up to get that it which has been on my mind

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. Jockywilson1 Mar 29, 2021

the date window is also different colour / alignment. The good thing about the moonwatch is that I’ve never seen a fake one with proper functioning sub dials, the movement that is used isn’t a clone and so the sub dials don’t work as they should.

19. Wetworks Mar 29, 2021

Lol, I would hope at least one of them is a small seconds!!

Is it me or is the applied Omega symbol too big?

20. 140dave Mar 29, 2021

Wrong/different bezel too but yeah, that double 60 should jump out more. I'll admit I noticed the different bezel first ::facepalm2:: always looking for subtle instead of the obvious.

Wetworks and Foo2rama like this.