Forums Latest Members

How to spot a fake Seamaster 300M

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jun 23, 2020

I am not talking about the cheap knock-offs, but the more expensive ones that are being offered as a "real Omega Seamaster 300M". We received such a high-quality fake, and compared it to an authentic Seamaster 300M.

The watch was so good, that we decided to make a video on it. As I am not an English speaker, please ignore incorrect grammar ;-).

You can find it here:

We also did some close-ups shots, which can be found here: https://www.fratellowatches.com/omega-seamaster-300m-james-bond-real-vs-fake/

[​IMG]

2. perks713 Jun 23, 2020

Great video, the magnet test is pretty awesome. Seems like one fool proof test if you can handle the watch. Buying one of these online from somewhere other than the forum would feel very problematic having seen this. If I was selling fakes I'd certainly be posting pictures of the real deal on any online listing and sending out a fake.

On a side note, on the real watch it's interesting that the screws on the gold plate on the side don't align in some specific way. I would have expected Omega to have them both line up perfectly.

Tekashi_145.022 and Robert-Jan like this.
  3. sonicosa Jun 23, 2020

I enjoyed the video, great work.

The first difference that jumped out to me were the bezels. The minute / hour markers, top of the numbers and triangle all seem to be much further from the edge of the bezel on the fake watch.

The macro shots in the article are great, especially the difference between the hour markers on the replica vs genuine. It would have been interesting to see some close ups of the bezels as well. Did you choose not to focus on it because it could be swapped with an authentic bezel more easily than other components on the watch?

Robert-Jan likes this.
  4. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jun 23, 2020

We focused on the dial, case and movement mainly. However, I do have closeups of the bezel as well.

Fake:

[​IMG]

Authentic:

[​IMG]

5. zoohannover Jun 23, 2020

RJ,
    thank you for this video. Very Informative(and scary)!
    I really like the format (simply and direct).
    (And good choice for the intro music.)

Robert-Jan likes this.
  6. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jun 23, 2020

Certainly scary, especially on pictures that don't show much detail (or aren't macro shots), you will easily fall into the trap.

zoohannover and ChiefMark like this.
  7. sonicosa Jun 23, 2020

Thanks for adding these. It looks like the minute markers on the authentic aren't as close to the inner circumference of the bezel as I thought. I think there might a bit of a shadow / dark reflection in the side-by-side image above made it look like that to me - especially between 11 and 1.

8. AntonisCy Jun 23, 2020

9. mjb Jun 23, 2020

Great video, your English and grammar were fine and better, dare I suggest, than many native speakers that I've run across. LOL

Scary how good these fakes are getting. Buying over the Internet, it would be nearly impossible to spot most if not all of those giveaways.

10. rcs914 Jun 23, 2020

No I agree with you - all of the numbers are closer to the edge on the authentic bezel - but I don't think you could tell the difference unless you had it side by side with a known real one.

sonicosa likes this.
  11. f18sailor Jun 23, 2020

Great video. For me, the regulator design is one of the best tells. I have not yet seen the real design copied.

12. Peter_from_NL Jun 23, 2020

Nice video. Not a nice topic.

13. Peter_from_NL Jun 23, 2020

Funny thing is that I like the yellow on the fake more... oops......

14. Om3ga321 Jun 23, 2020

"As I am not an English speaker, please ignore incorrect grammar ;-). "
    Your spoken English is never an issue......
    Great informative video.
    Thank you.

15. gbesq Jun 23, 2020

If I could buy a dozen of these fakes on the cheap I could use them to buy off the foreign scammers who keep calling my cell phone and telling me that my Social Security account has been suspended due to fraudulent activity. :rolleyes:

ChiefMark likes this.
  16. andrewlaeddis32 Mar 7, 2021

I read this article that begs the differ. However, Since I'm new the article might have been BS. What do you think? http://www.detectafake.com/viewProduct/?269608

17. andrewlaeddis32 Mar 7, 2021

I could barely tell. Makes me wonder if I should get into watches. I might be taken as a fool. Informative video.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  18. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Mar 7, 2021

the authentic watch we had came from Omega HQ, so not sure what you’re hinting at here ;-)

andrewlaeddis32 likes this.
  19. andrewlaeddis32 Mar 7, 2021

I'm not hinting at anything. The video comparison you posted is sufficient. I was just curious.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  20. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Mar 7, 2021

ah ok, I quickly scanned the thread and thought you might think the one I showed as real was fake.