Forums Latest Members

Tonight on Antiques Roadshow

1. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 3, 2022

They actually had a season of appraisals in 2021 that is airing early in 2022.

One of the first new appraisals is this incredibly nice dual-branded Longines Chronograph.

Watch it here:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/s...nes-cuervo-y-sobrinos-chronograph--202101A09/

Just a beautiful watch. Although I’m not sure if really had solid lug bars that were cut as the appraiser thought, or was it made for female springbars.

Thoughts?
    gatorcpa

Deafboy, Joe_A, Waltesefalcon and 3 others like this.
  2. FREDMAYCOIN Jan 3, 2022

3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jan 3, 2022

Yes!

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 3, 2022

I really don’t know.

Here is a screen capture from the video clip:
    E8746673-4C4D-4D7F-A43F-4E47417DB047.jpeg

Here is the watch from the other thread:
    EBBF070C-03B6-452A-9AE4-71379EB20F8A.jpeg
    They certainly look to be the same reference, if not the same watch.

There are enough differences in the family stories to think that these are not the same exact watch, but there is no way to know for sure.

If they are in fact different watches, then my question on whether the lug bars were cut or made like this is answered.
    gatorcpa

Duracuir1 and FREDMAYCOIN like this.
  5. cvalue13 Jan 3, 2022

This dial mark, and the wear of the “9,” suggest it’s the same watch

33B64DEE-B38A-4024-A143-0BBB82A50983.jpeg

Mark020, w154, Syrte and 5 others like this.
  6. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jan 3, 2022

These watches are quite uncommon. The mere fact that both have the same style of incorrect hour hand all but confirms that they are the same. The flaws noted above confirm without a doubt.

Mark020 and Syrte like this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 3, 2022

Paging @River McK.

gatorcpa

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 3, 2022

We concluded last time that those are cut fixed bars. Too thick for female bars.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 4, 2022

I went back and re-read all 4 pages of the original post about this watch (I also now believe it to be the same piece), and found this post to tie it all back together with the narrative from Antiques Roadshow.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/my-grandfathers-1938-13zn-mono-pusher.107001/page-3#post-1404072

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

MTROIS, cvalue13 and Waltesefalcon like this.
  10. River McK Jan 5, 2022

Greeting and salutations Omega Forum folks! Yes indeed, that was me and my watch on Antiques Roadshow this past Monday evening. The details initially discussed during my original post and those reviewed during the appraisal on the show differ due to further investigation on the watch within my family. From a timeline perspective, it made more sense chronologically that my great-grandfather purchased the watch, due to the nature of his work. At the time he was a salesman of the felt sleeves that go over the large drums used in the paper manufacturing process. His territory was the Southeastern United States. He did very well in his industry, which allowed him to take on various hobbies (photography, hunting and antiques collecting) and travel quite extensively .That being said, the two plausible theories of how it came into our family are that he either travelled to Cuba on leisure and purchased it directly from the Cuervo jeweler (co-brand on the dial) or that he purchased it at an antiques shop/flea market in the South during one of his business trips. My mother recalled that he was know for returning from business trips with "trinkets" (e.g. a Tiffany Silverware set, also in my possession now) fairly regularly. Regardless of its initial procurement, at one point it did belong to my grandfather, so the title of my original post is not wholly inaccurate.

I'd like to thank all those who commented in my original post, for providing insight on the watch, advisement on next steps, and the kind words of appreciation that only watch enthusiasts would understand. Appearing on the Antiques Roadshow was a fun and unique experience and hopefully I didn't come off looking and sounding too much like a doof. Several of the appraisers looked at the watch and all agreed that the fixed bars were indeed cut at some point, most likely to remove a worn leather band. What I find interesting is that the appraiser made no mention of the mis-matched hour hand as some have indicated on my original post and this one as well. As I reflect on the filming of the appraisal, we actually shot about ten minutes of content, that was then edited down to roughly 3.5 minutes, so he very well may have mentioned that and it just slipped my mind... Not that I really care too much, but that appraiser, Peter Planes was the same gentleman who appraised a Rolex Daytona for $500-750k on an earlier episode of Antiques Roadshow. Last night, I watched a Youtube video where certain aficionados have contested his appraisal of that watch as being "new old stock," when there were clear indications of wear and use in their opinion. At the end of the day, Mr. Planes knows more about time pieces than me, and has a well-versed collection of peers to confer with. After the filming, we spoke for another 15 minutes, he introduced me to some of his colleagues and we even took a few photos together. All in all, I am just grateful for the opportunity to share the story, enjoy the experience, and to learn more about the watch. Thanks again to you all and for a great forum like this one!

Cheers,

River McK

11. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jan 5, 2022

This could be for myriad reasons: it went unnoticed, it was noticed but not deemed salient, it was noticed but not identified as incorrect. I think it is safe to assume that the appraiser does not specialize in vintage Longines, as few watch sellers/dealers/experts do.

12. River McK Jan 5, 2022

@DirtyDozen12, all valid points! I wish those that pointed out the hands as being mid-matched could provide visual aids as to what the correct hands do in fact look like. I understand this is a unique piece, but wouldn’t Longines have used similar hands on other steel cased monopushers of that vintage, movement, etc.? Pardon my naivety for asking, but surely there must be an representative image out there somewhere with similar blue hands, right?

13. MTROIS Jan 5, 2022

Again, what an incredible story @River McK , and I sure hope that you will be able to keep it in your family!!

14. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jan 5, 2022

Waltesefalcon, khmt2, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  15. w154 Jan 5, 2022

For those who can’t get the PBS link to play, the whole episode is currently sitting on YouTube. The section with the Longines starts at 8:20.

cchen, BFL, Radiumpassion and 3 others like this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 5, 2022

@River McK ..I must confess that I almost snorted my beer when your said you guessed it was worth $10k. If it had been Pawn Stars and not PBS, they would have had you. Anyway, I hope you get it serviced, drilled for spring bars and on a nice strap or bracelet. Here is a Longines hands chart.
    upload_2022-1-5_20-4-40.jpeg

Edited Jan 5, 2022
  17. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jan 5, 2022

I will say that this chart looks to be quite a bit later than the 13ZN being discussed, judging by the Conquest reference. However, the original hands were likely leaf-style.

watchyouwant and Dan S like this.
  18. Dan S Jan 5, 2022

It's hard to imagine any watch expert not noticing that the hands were of totally different styles, or not thinking it's important. When you see cut bars and mismatched hands, you know the watch has been tampered with. I would guess that the show didn't want to tell that story.

19. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jan 5, 2022

I agree.