Forums Latest Members

My Grandfather's 1938 13ZN Mono-pusher

1. OmeGez Jan 1, 2020

I could never part with that kind of history in a family - service it and keep it. (Money) Value shouldn’t come into it, it’s money you didn’t have and it’s all history to gain for the family by keeping it.

unless it’s life changing money (I’m not clued up on these values) then I understand, then you can thank your grandfather for the fortune he’s given you.

watchyouwant, Sam11 and River McK like this.
  2. Raymondo5508 Jan 1, 2020

Truly a super watch...Thanks for sharing it.

3. JohnLy Jan 2, 2020

In every way a very special watch, congratulations.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 2, 2020

Unfortunately we’ve still not provided the OP with watchmaker options. Central NY is a blank for me.

River McK likes this.
  5. JohnLy Jan 2, 2020

I can highly recommend Alkis, he's in NYC and is the only authorized watch repair person for Lange & Sohne. He repairs many complicated watches and would love to see your watch. Let me know if you want his location and tel number.

6. River McK Jan 2, 2020

@Larry S Thanks for the reminder...

@JohnLy Yes, please send me his location and contact info. Thank you very much...

7. JohnLy Jan 2, 2020

Will do it should be in your in box shortly....

River McK and Rumar89 like this.
  8. River McK Jan 2, 2020

I’ll be sure to post an update with feedback from the watchmaker. Stay tuned...

Rumar89 and JohnLy like this.
  9. jmazpiazu Jan 2, 2020

Congratulations @River McK, you have a very special watch.

As @alphabeta81 mentioned earlier, it is very rare to find a Fab Suisse dialed Longines sold out of France, with the retailer´s signature on the dial and a confirmation of delivery to the agent by Saint Imier.

I happen to be a sucker for pre-Castro era wrist watches and pocket watches and even if I´ve seen other legit Longines 13ZN retailed by Cuervo y Sobrinos (just 2, if my memory serves me well), this is the only one with a Fab Suisse on the dial.

All in, with the provenance, the spectacular condition and the double signature, I would dare to say that your watch could easily be in the $35K range.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy it for many years to come.

Edited Jan 2, 2020
    River McK, Mark020 and Larry S like this.
  10. River McK Jan 3, 2020

That is remarkable! We undoubtedly will be getting it appraised and then reviewed by a watchmaker...

And get ready for the next tidbit of this watch's story...When my grandmother passed, my aunt and mother had gone through the estate items and cataloged all of the big ticket items (furniture, jewelry, silver, etc.). What remained was a box of odds and ends...photos, a helicopter gauge (gramps flew helicopters commercially later in life), some old photos, pins...and this watch. Not in a special protective case or protective pouch. This watch was just rattling around the bottom of a cardboard box! Having an interest in watches, I spotted it and noted the Longines moniker, researched the brand and realized I could possibly have a diamond in the rough...and that is where this journey started.

Edited Jan 3, 2020
    Joe_A, Thommas, watchyouwant and 14 others like this.
  11. Radiumpassion Jan 3, 2020

We are all dreaming of those cardboard boxes:) And Longines is a brand
    that often goes under the radar of «regular» people. I got my 13ZN from a
    lady who had got it at her local fleamarket. She paid 2€ 1029BC85-AB74-4109-AF67-95EA407BF5AE.jpeg

Joe_A, Thommas, watchyouwant and 21 others like this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 3, 2020

:eek:

BlueHands, cristos71, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  13. Kbjohn Jan 3, 2020

I think the highly likely cut fixed bars and the mismatched/incorrect hands take it down quite some way from the 35k mark. But it’s for sure a rare, desirable and valuable watch.

Mark020 likes this.
  14. Rumar89 Jan 3, 2020

@Radiumpassion, 2€?!? Somebody has some good karma. Where do I get that deal? Lucky, @&$* lol

OP is lucky that the hand set is pretty common. Should be no issue finding a correct hour hand.

I have a particular soft-spot for these pre-Castro double signed dials, so I’m probably biased. I also don’t want to play the speculate on value game, but go try to find another of these.

Joe_A, janice&fred, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  15. Radiumpassion Jan 3, 2020

Yes, she got a hell of a deal. But I did not go on summer holiday that year, if
    it makes you feel better;)

Back to OP`s watch. Interesting that it is a ref 3504

The 3504 sold by Phillips a while back is clearly a later/different model.

6AF941F6-47B3-495A-8885-F18F9FEC75E4.jpeg

durri70, Rumar89, Mark020 and 2 others like this.
  16. budgewink Jan 5, 2020

Absolutely amazing piece of history landed in your hands right there River McK, your grandfather had amazing taste! Staying tuned to see it on a nice strap (maybe a textured calf?)..have you thought about your options yet to get the solid bars fixed if has transpired they have been cut (most 13zn are solid bars right?) could a bar be welded back in place?
    The dial looks superb from the pictures you provided, alot of the time I see these older references from the 30s etc they have suffered from the elements, water damage or bad servicing, yours looks like it has been kept out of harm's way in that respect so congrats on the dial it looks pretty sharp.
    Also I was wondering how people find the old leaf hands an easy replacement for a 13zn, I thought the older caliber Longines hands got trickier to find?

Edited Jan 5, 2020
  17. River McK Aug 4, 2020

Hey all, Just wanted to post a quick update...First off, I hope everyone is in good health and has not had to experience the loss a loved one to COVID. My father came down with double-lung pneumonia in mid-march and it damn near killed him. He was on a ventilator for three weeks and in hospital for a total of seven. Being that he and my mother live in NYC, we feared the worst...He was eventually tested for covid anti-bodies, but the results came back negative. Given his pre-existing health conditions, if he did have Covid, it surely would have taken him. He's better now and slowly regaining his strength up on the canadian border in northern New York, far far away from all the craziness in the city. But march and April were worrisome days for my family.

Last we left off, my mother had the 13ZN in her possession and was to get it appraised at a local auction house. With my father falling ill, the appraisal fell to the very bottom of her priority list. I drove down to the city after Memorial day weekend and busted them out of there and headed for the northern border, where they have a summer home on the St. Lawrence River. It's one of the most beautiful freshwater rivers in the entire U.S. (in my humble opinion). Anyway, as a result of said road trip, I now have the watch back in my possession and am waiting for the dust to settle before resuming my appraisal endeavors. Thanks to the folks from this forum, the renowned watchmaker and Longines expert, Alkis, was recommended to perform a precursory inspection. Just curious if anyone knows how he is doing and if he is still in operation with everything going on down in NYC? Hoping the next time I post on this thread will be with bigger news, but just wanted to touch base in case any one was wondering whatever happened to that guy with the 1938 13ZN...

Regards,

River McK

MTROIS, Civic4982, 1jansen and 13 others like this.
  18. Radiumpassion Aug 5, 2020

There are more important things in life than 13ZN chronographs, even
    steel cased one`s with original dials. Thank you for the update and I`m
    sure we all hope for your fathers full recovery:thumbsup:

Syrte, KingCrouchy, Rumar89 and 2 others like this.
  19. Andy_timeman Aug 5, 2020

The piece is exceptional, rare, valuable, most unusual, in great overall order and an absolute beauty....even better it is a family heirloom and has a story to tell.

20. imfagent449 Aug 6, 2020

Wow, look at that dial and hands.