To Polish or Not to Polish. Omega 2531.80 Serial 49xxxx

New Member here,

I just bought my first "modernish" Omega. The 2531.80 Omega Seamaster. ( Previously only owning a 1950's sub second ). What is the general consensus around polishing and restoring? I just bought it and waiting for it to finish shipping (FedEx killing me 🤦) . To say its "well worn" is an understatement. Would polishing greatly take away from its potential resale incase I needed to sell for extra funds? I've seen other forums where people talk about omega sc disasters with over polishing. Is this a common occurrence? I also am not planning on wearing it daily, only for special events like weddings and date nights.
Edited:

Omega service you will get it back all polished looking like a new watch.

Your call, what do you want, looking like a new watch or cool and tooly looking like a diver should look like (in my book and others will differ)…

I agree totally with @STANDY
The choice is yours, but my 2 cents worth says don't polish. It should be worn as is.

I’m massively against polishing vintage watches, which this almost is. However from that picture it already look to have had a severe polish so I’d consider a good/correct polish to restore its original finish.

There is a typo in the heading. It’s a 2531.80

I don’t like a tatty Bond SMP personally so would leam towards polish but use someone skilled and reliable ideally Omega. It’s an early one that, prob 1994-5. Maybe 1109 movement rather than the later 1120. I actually think that is in pretty good condition for it’s age (the bezels usually fade, some nicely) but I wonder about the bracelet. Those are prone to extreme stretch as the pins and collars wear. The tritium dial is nice but there may be some minor lume issues with the hands I can see there.
Edited:

I would echo toward what you feel right. Nothing wrong with a polish (if done by Omega) if you want it to shine and as we are not talking first gen Speedmaster why not. Personally il I feel it has a charm in its current condition but the clasp does look messy.

I get my bracelets refinished more often than the watch case and I would have done that one a long time ago. I should think you can get that done for perhaps $200 but you need an expert for this bracelet.

I also am not planning on wearing it daily, only for special events like weddings and date nights.
Think this goes some way to help you decide.
If it was a daily beater I would say leave as is. It looks fine
If you intend it to be more for dressy occasions then I guess I would want it to look more refined.
Just my thoughts

I’m massively against polishing vintage watches, which this almost is. However from that picture it already look to have had a severe polish so I’d consider a good/correct polish to restore its original finish.

I second this opinion. The case and bracelet should have both brushed and polished parts.It looks like someone has gone cheap and just polished everything. That destroys the character of the watch/bracelet, IMO. I would have it restored to the proper polish/brushing.

Some of you stated it's already been polished. If that's the case might aswell polish correctly ::facepalm1::

Yep, if you're concerned about polishing and resale, looks like that train already left the station....Go ahead and have it refinished and enjoy.

We're having a terminology disconnect here.

Polish means "make shiny". That's it. Period. You can argue, but you're wrong.

The not-shiiny part you might call "brushed" as if a wire brush were applied. Watchmakers use abrasive wheels and belts to refinish those sections.

The Bond bracelet is possibly 5% polished and 95% brushed The brushed pieces are masked, and the polished parts are brought to a bright shine. Then those parts are masked off and the rest of the bracelet is brushed.

That's how it's refinished. That order matters only to the person doing the work, the end result is the same.

This is what it's supposed to look like:

Very bad juju to post before delivery this time of year.

I would have it refinished. It'll look great, whereas at the moment it looks a bit battered. Just my opinion though... I like nice, clean, tidy...each to their own!

I am going to stick my neck out and say based on those pics, I don't think that has ever been (badly) polished/refinished, just worn so much that the brushed and polished sections have kind of merged into one!

ps several of us here are using the word polished as shorthand for refinished. Of course watches have multiple finishes, some start shiny, some don't. In the same way that redial is short for repainted dial rather than a replaced original which is known as something else. Thanks for the permission to argue Tom, since I can, I will!

pps fix the heading so the model number is right!
Edited:

If we’re being pedantic, it’s also important to note the difference between refinishing and refurbishing a bracelet. A good refinish will restore the correct brushed and polished sections but as these bracelets use friction pins and sleeves, one that has seen significant wear like this will likely need the pins replacing as well as cosmetic attention if it’s to be worn.

I would agree to get Omega to polish it as part of a service. If this was a watch from the 60's I'd say leave it. But I'd consider this a modern watch. Something to consider with a polish from Omega is that they will make it shiny yes, but also the brushed surfaces will be touched up properly and the edges will be crisped up a bit. Then, you can put your own scratches on it which will show your personal history with it over time. My 2 cents.