Forums Latest Members

To Polish or Not to Polish... that is the question?

1. gorene Feb 18, 2014

I have owned my Ed White Speedmaster since new. Never been serviced to my recollection nor used for many years but shows some use from its early days.
    I have been wondering whether to sell and while looking at the many fantastic pictures, both on this forum and elsewhere, it seems to me that most of the watches have been polished to some degree. Both collectors and dealers
    While I fully understand that a collector will much prefer an untouched example of any vintage article it does seem to me that, having acquired it, their aim is to restore it to be as near perfect as possible without destroying its provenance of course. This does seem to often include some degree of polishing.
    If I am correct is it better to have this done (carefully) before selling or am I confusing selling privately with dealer sales?

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 18, 2014

My opinion....

As a seller, I would keep it in original condition and let the new owner decide to polish or not.

As a buyer & watch enthusiast, I would prefer, and would value more highly, an unpolished example, all other things being equal.

The market is not limited to enthusiasts or collectors, and there are certainly buyers who prefer the shiny new look of an expertly polished piece.

Barking mad likes this.
  3. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 18, 2014

I agree with Darlinboy but suggest enthusiasts may take more interest and consider paying more if it were left untouched.

Cheers

Time Exposure likes this.
  4. Davidt Feb 18, 2014

I agree, I'd definitely be more keen on an unpolished example, dings and all, over a polished one. It's part of the history of the watch.

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 18, 2014

I would add that when you sell it, emphasize its history and lack of polishing, and add a romantic story: original owner, used it racing at the local drag strip, lost the box and papers in your move to the Congo, whatever provenance you can attach.

Davidt and TLIGuy like this.
  6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 18, 2014

NEVER polish a vintage speedmaster.
    If the case condition is bad enough that a polish is deemed necessary,
    DON'T buy the speedmaster.

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 18, 2014

In my experience, if the Speedmaster has become the Abusedmaster over the last 40-odd years, it still commands crazy money if presented as an Unmolestedmaster. It's kooky, but who can explain?
    Except (as in collecting anything), it's only original once...

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 18, 2014

Sorry, just realized much of the advice we gave you now is the same advice we gave you in November last year, and will probably be the same advice if you ask again in another three months.
    So what gives?

9. gorene Feb 19, 2014

My question is partly rhetorical but I suppose is being put to the wrong audience. I understand what you are saying, as I did in November. At that time I was a complete novice and, compared with you guys, little more now. It is just that the majority of watches I have seen since then appear to have been polished. I realise that many restorations are historical but I seldom see untouched examples....why not if they are worth more and do collectors generally keep them untouched......just curious?. I am not having my watch polished.

10. ulackfocus Feb 19, 2014

The majority of watches are polished because the majority of customers are NOT collectors and prefer "Ooooooo, shiny!" over original.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 19, 2014

An unpolished case can always be polished later (and many watchmakers overpolish or refinish the case wrongly).
    A polished case can never be restored to its unpolished condition.
    In fact I believe the fact that the vast majority of vintage watches have had their cases polished (and in many instances overpolished) helps to drive up the prices of original unpolished examples.

TLIGuy likes this.
  12. John R Smith Feb 19, 2014

I think that perhaps we are missing the distinction between polishing and cleaning. Polishing to my mind involves the use of a buffing wheel and abrasive compounds to remove all scratches and wear marks. The risk with this approach is that sharp edges and clean facets will be rounded and softened, degrading the integrity of the original case design. As has been rightly noted above.

But it is perfectly possible to clean a case, using appropriate compounds for the case material applied by hand, to remove dirt and light scratches, and keep all the edges and facets intact. Especially with a stainless steel case, which is a hard material. Deep scratches and marks will of course remain, but the end result will be "shiny" if that is what you wish.

13. gorene Feb 19, 2014

If that is the case when selling....why not polish and get more customers?

14. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 19, 2014

You may get more customers but a lesser price. However if you keep original and unpolished and market to the right audience::money::

15. alleged Feb 19, 2014

Why not provide some pictures and get opinions on how it looks now?

16. ulackfocus Feb 19, 2014

See below:

Bingo. Collectors will pay more money for original than the casual watch schmoe who wants a pretty watch. Casual schmoes can stick to overpolished frankens that cost too much for what they are.

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 19, 2014

Polish the watch = selling it at Walmart.
    Leave it pristine and unpolished = selling it at Bergdorf Goodman.

I leave it to decide where the watch might fetch a higher price.

18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 19, 2014

Don't need to read anything but the thread title. Don't even need to know what watch is being discussed. Don't polish.

Next!

19. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 19, 2014

oop, I went ahead and scanned the thread:(

How many customers do you need to buy your single Ed White?

20. gorene Feb 19, 2014

Only one and I have already have that and not looking for more. Thank you for asking but you didn't answer my question.
    John R Smith gave me the most sensible answer and it didnt require sarcasm.
    I will consider this closed