Forums Latest Members

Using Brasso to polish cases and plexiglass

1. dantaspaulo Jan 4, 2014

Hi all,

I've read something about people using Brasso to clean cases and polish plexiglass, but a couple of questions came to my mind and I was wondering if you could help.

1. Can I use Brasso on both the case and the plexiglass without opening the case to remove the movement?
    2. Has anyone used Brasso on gold-capped/filled watches?
    3. Any major warnings?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Paulo

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 4, 2014

I would not use brasso on anything besides the hesalite crystal.

3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 4, 2014

Hi Paulo,

I use Brasso Wadding on crystals with great results, always careful to keep it away from any gold but that is just my concern that it will remove as well as polish. On the gold I use a gold polishing cloth which is extremely gentle.

4. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 4, 2014

The one time I tried it on an ss case, it left noticable swirl marks. Since then I've been using cape cod polishing clothes for stainless cases and jeweler rogue cloth for gold/gold filled cases.

5. dantaspaulo Jan 4, 2014

Thanks for your thoughts! I've been using a Tiffany's polishing cloth for both gold-capped and SS, but some of my crystals are scratched and I ended up thinking of Brasso. How do you use it? I know it might sound like a dumb question but I've never used Brasso before. Just get some on a cloth and polish the crystal?

6. pascs Jan 4, 2014

I've used car paint scratch remover paste on both the stainless steel case and the hesalite crystal with good results, cheaper and easier to get than polywatch :D

I had a very badly scratch hesalite crystal on a project watch, i first used 2500 emery paper and then the scratch remover paste, crystal came up like new

7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 4, 2014

dantaspaulo likes this.
  8. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 4, 2014

I wouldn't let that stuff near my watch, if it gets down the stem into the case it'll not react well with the oils in the movement, it'll also greatly shorten the life of plated or gold filled watches as it is rather abrasive. I bought a Waltham that was lovingly cleaned regularly with the stuff and we found residue throughout the movement when we opened it up..... and no lube left.

9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 4, 2014

Brasso wadding ? Seriously doubt careful use would ever produce the problems you mention. Liquid used carelessly as with most cleaners I would agree could cause problems.

10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 4, 2014

Yeah it had to be liquid. And it was everywhere!

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 4, 2014

I'll use Brasso only on crystals as a first polisher, then follow up with Polywatch after the heavy scratches are smoothed.

I don't think it will hurt solid gold if not aggressively rubbed, but I wouldn't chance it. Keep Brasso away from any rolled gold, gold plate, gold filled or capping. You're likely to go right down to the base metal if you are not very careful.

My understanding is that they changed the formula a few years ago. New stuff is not nearly as effective as the old, I'm told.

Stick with Polywatch.
    gatorcpa

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 5, 2014

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 5, 2014

As for polishing cases, gold or plated cases only get a wipe with Cape Cod or similar.

Stainless cases can be polished with leather pads or blocks and various grades of rouge, brushed surfaces can be done with 600 wet and dry on a soft backing and the item held in a soft wooden jig. That way all marks are in one direction. I haven't tried starburst finish on stainless yet but have a design for a jig to do that, will post results (if it works ;))

With any case finishing, I remove the crystal and movement to do it, and ultrasonic clean after and prior to re-assembly.

dantaspaulo likes this.