Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on this Railmaster before I make an offer?

1. Engee Sep 12, 2020

I’m seriously tempted to find a way to sneak this home even though I don’t really have the money at the moment.

It’s a 2018 model and comes with box and papers. There’s a slight blemish on the bezel at 1 o’clock but I can live with that. I intend to wear the watch so it won’t be the first knock it gets.

Asking £2,250 which seems pretty good as most pieces like this appear to be on at asking prices north of £3k.

Grateful for any thoughts as to whether this is the right price, and, importantly, is too cheap to be true?

A1C2896C-ECA7-46A9-9D63-17C4F2397C7E.jpeg 49C1A35F-A06F-4641-958B-605CCF963287.jpeg
    redking, 0uss, Dedlock and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dedlock Sep 12, 2020

Price seems fine, but try looking at your ads and see if you can land a new one at a good price.

The watch is a very underrated piece in Omegas recent lineup. Its mostly overshadowed by the other seamasters which are flashier but I'd categorise this one as more dignified, modest and "toolish" but with its own design peculiarities that set it apart. Its not for everybody but to me it's quite special.

Albe100, Zapatta and Engee like this.
  3. Engee Sep 12, 2020

Thanks, I will do some further research. I know there are several variations of modern Railmasters. I know I want one with beige lume and my preference would be for arrowhead hands but this would do me at a good price. I’m surprised this version is under-appreciated. Like you, I think it’s a very handsome piece.

Dedlock likes this.
  4. Evitzee Sep 12, 2020

I've looked at this watch a couple of times as it's an attractive piece but it doesn't get much love for whatever reasons. Price seems reasonable and it looks legit.

Dedlock and Engee like this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2020

Serial number: 89748580
    Article ref: 22012402001001

Watch looks fine, and serial number matches the model, so I see no reason to suspect the watch.

6. Engee Sep 13, 2020

Thank you. I know this seems paranoid but would you recommend me having it opened to check the movement hasn’t been replaced by something else?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2020

Yes, that seems paranoid...:)

janice&fred, ConElPueblo and Engee like this.
  8. slwoodster Sep 13, 2020

You can always ask. Of course they can say no...

Engee likes this.
  9. Engee Sep 13, 2020

I wasn't thinking of asking the seller to open it - it looks like it needs a special tool. I was thinking of asking a watchmaker after purchase, with the agreement of the seller that i can return if it's wrong. If I decide to go ahead I will ask for this - refusal on the seller's part will be telling. If they agree then I will probably feel I don't need to.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2020

Most people don’t really understand what it takes to replace a movement with a completely different movement. It can get complicated very quickly, and the chances that someone has done this here is so remote, it’s not worth losing a deal that you really want over.

If you want to check to make sure someone hasn’t put some generic movement in the watch, it doesn’t require opening the watch. Have your watchmaker put it on their timing machine. If the watch frequency is 25,200 A/Hr, it will be a genuine movement.

If the seller refuses your request, I won’t blame them in the slightest. You want to have some watchmaker they don’t know open this, and send it back if you’re not happy, but what if the watchmaker damages something, or a small piece of debris enters the movement, you may go back on the seller for something not related to him.

I’ve confirmed the the serial number matches the movement, and others here have said there’s nothing wrong with the watch. I understand that people don’t want to get ripped off, but if you are this risk averse, you may want to consider buying from an AD instead of buying used.

Cheers, Al

11. Engee Sep 13, 2020

Thank you, Al. I'm not normally risk averse. In fact I think I'm probably too risk willing on balance, which is why I might be swinging the other way on this. I will take your comments on board and trust the guy if I decide to go ahead.

12. Shay Sep 13, 2020

https://www.fraserhart.co.uk/omega-seamaster-railmaster

It’s a bit more than you want to pay but it is new and with some chance you might squeeze some more discount. Yesterday I saw a trilogy railmaster for £4K at Fraserhart, but I don’t see it anymore.

Engee likes this.
  13. Shay Sep 13, 2020

https://www.watches-of-switzerland....2ZSaQWqDDOzayLCATu1b2qZF2mgABfgsaAtMKEALw_wcB

14. Engee Sep 13, 2020

Thanks, although I must say I'm not a big fan of buying new. Showroom deprecation and all that. I like nearly new where the original buyer takes the hit on the initial depreciation. That's why this one appeals. That said, the Fraser Hart offer with the steel bracelet is tempting, but out of my budget.

15. Shay Sep 13, 2020

Sure that’s very reasonable . Good luck

16. Stripey Sep 13, 2020

These have definitely been on sale quite a bit in the UK.

Shay and Engee like this.
  17. Engee Sep 15, 2020

Update: The watch was an eBay auction starting, as I said, at £2,250. I thought long and hard about bidding, but in the back of my mind was the question of why nobody else had if this was, as it appeared, a good price. About an hour before the auction ended I emailed the seller and asked if they would accept £1900 if the watch didn't sell. The auction ended without any bids, and I've not heard from the seller yet (auction ended yesterday afternoon). I'm thinking something fishy with this one and my caution well founded.

18. Shay Sep 15, 2020

Did you check if the seller had any reviews from “Selling stuff” on eBay?

19. Engee Sep 15, 2020

Yes, more feedback for selling than buying, including many watches. Listing said was a collecting thinning out. Maybe he just thought I was being cheeky so didn’t reply to my offer message but that doesn’t explain why he got no bids.

20. Shay Sep 15, 2020

That’s strange no one has sent a bid! It wasn’t meant, I am sure you will find something else.