Forums Latest Members
  1. jrmjrm May 3, 2020

Looking for thoughts on this Constellation. Dial looks original to me but with some spotting which I don't mind. Crown is original. 18 million serial number seems to match case ref. no 14393 and cal. 561. Other than what looks like case polishing are there any glaring issues with this watch? It's being sold by Omega Addict asking USD 1350. I appreciate any input! Thanks! IMG_0005.png IMG_0006.png IMG_0009.png IMG_0010.png IMG_0011.png IMG_0012.png

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 3, 2020

Are the hands domed or faceted?

3. jrmjrm May 3, 2020

Faceted I believe

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 3, 2020

Minute hand looks domed to me

5. jrmjrm May 3, 2020

Are the hands incorrect?

6. jrmjrm May 3, 2020

Any other thoughts? I’ve been looking to buy a pie pan Constellation for a while now but am relatively new to the hobby. I appreciate your time!

7. Al13 May 3, 2020

The case looks really polished to me and several markers have already faded. Hands too.
    IMO the price is not bad for a serviced Connie, but you can find one in better condition

8. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 3, 2020

My concern is the hands, original hands are faceted and have longer cuts (for lume or black paint)
    The ones with short cuts are after market, I believe.

9. jrmjrm May 3, 2020

I appreciate the input! Thanks all so much. So it sounds like the case polishing and probable replacement hands would be a deal-breaker?

10. jrmjrm May 5, 2020

Another quick question. Is the lume plot to the right of the date window indicative of a re-lume/re-dial? I’ve been searching and haven’t been able to find any other dials with a lume plot like this one.

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 6, 2020

no, this is a known variation on lumed pie-pan (and dome) dials.
    Some Connies have a short index at 3 - most likely the variation is down to different dial makers

12. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 6, 2020

I think it is an add on by Mr Addict

13. JohnSteed May 7, 2020

I like the case, medallion on caseback and pie pan dial looks sharp. Crown ok and a scalloped crown also fine for 14393. I’d say case polish is sympathetic though I don’t mind the typical wearing marks usually seen of r 50+ yr old watch. Quite prefer those ..... Although Hr/Min hands look like replacements but not sure.

@jrmjrm ...Did you pull the trigger?

14. jrmjrm May 7, 2020

Yes I actually did end up pulling the trigger. I'm not yet a hardcore collector (still a med student) so the reliability and included service were important to me. I didn't mind the case polishing too much because I feel like most of the angles and design are preserved (will take a couple years of wear for the "brand new" shine to wear off, though!), and I decided that the hands could be replaced with correct ones down the road and it wasn't a huge issue. I actually love the patina on the dial, which was my biggest reason for pulling the trigger. In person, especially, it has a deep champagne/sunburst hue, and in some lights it even gives off a hint of a salmon. While I know that this is not the "totally original, untouched" connoisseurs piece, I am happy with the purchase, and this watch will definitely get lots of wear! I really appreciate all the input from the community!

15. JohnSteed May 7, 2020

Congrats...Look fwd to additional pics when you get it. Best wishes in your journey, collecting and (more importantly) in med school !!