This can't be a Real Seamaster can it?

Hi. I came across this vintage OMEGA Seamaster DeVille at a second hand store. I thought about getting it at the time I saw it but something told me not to. The price was $500 and I could have probably negotiate it down some more.

My concern was that dial is not original or is a knockoff. The Seamaster script and DeVille on the bottom do not look like the typical font that was used on the Seamasters which usually feature a "Hook" Shaped "S" and a serif "DeVille" and not the script as shown.

Also, there is NO "Swiss Made" On the bottom.

I find this highly suspect and am very reluctant about this particular watch.

The funny thing is, there's one that's similar on eBay (eBay item number:123808067449)
and it has a lot of people bidding on it. So now I'm wondering if it IS real and there was a year that the lettering was different (1966). So many people bidding suggest that it may be real.

Sorry about the slightly blurry photo... however it does show what I am talking about.

Run! Run like the wind!

(It would deserve a prominent place in the Redial Hall of Shame)

The dial has been damaged at some stage in its life, so instead of having it done professionally, Joe Blow got his 10 year old daughter to re-create it with her painting set.

The dial has been damaged at some stage in its life, so instead of having it done professionally, Joe Blow got his 10 year old daughter to re-create it with her painting set.
I disagree. I believe it was his wife, the calligrapher.

SO someone is likely to make a very bad purchase on the one that's currently listed on ebay...

SO someone is likely to make a very bad purchase on the one that's currently listed on ebay...
Which one? I'm sure there are, at least, half a dozen at any given moment.

This one. Item number 123808067449. Lots of bidders too. It has the same script Seamaster as the one I looked at.

Looks like the same redialer did both. It would be nice if mjkravit pointed out that it was a redial, rather than an original dial.

Too many redial on ebay. When the deal is too much a deal... 😀

*Obvious redial to those in the know who already know, I know. But I highly recommend anyone looking to buy a watch New or Vintage from any interweb seller , does their homework firstly . The web is such a mine of knowledge its unreal , & can really help the untrained eye become very wary of such postings. So now you know how you know .

* Lots of knows I know , but you know what I mean .

*Obvious redial to those in the know who already know, I know. But I highly recommend anyone looking to buy a watch New or Vintage from any interweb seller , does their homework firstly . The web is such a mine of knowledge its unreal , & can really help the untrained eye become very wary of such postings. So now you know how you know .

* Lots of knows I know , but you know what I mean .
Yes i KNOW!

Everybody can Identify a redial, need some experience and attention only, not so many skills.
Old things (dials too) where made with extremely mastery and care, what that not in most of the things done today

I am so grateful for this site. There are so many bad watches for sale on the internet out there - I would say half of them - which can lead to a bad decision. Education is key. I am in the process of learning everything about the Seamaster DeVille series before I make my first purchase. It's very easy to get burned from what I can see.

Thanks again guys. This site is great. Hopefully I won't sound like a newbie a few months from now.

THe other alternative is to buy from a reputable dealer.... but from what I can see, that costs a premium. It's easy to spend $1,200-1,500 of an already gone through 60's DeVille that's near perfect. I'm trying to avoid that step and learn what I need to know so I can make an informed purchase when a authentic good deal comes around.... and they do come around.

Everybody have to learn and grow always, we never finish to learn.

You need just to pay attention and ask when you cant value. Modesty and caution are never too much in this world

No one knows everything when they start out in the world of watches , & I am sure you will soon find a great piece .

This one. Item number 123808067449. Lots of bidders too. It has the same script Seamaster as the one I looked at.

I suspect iffy auction here, too bad this watch to be real this price...

Everybody have to learn and grow always, we never finish to learn.

You need just to pay attention and ask when you cant value. Modesty and caution are never too much in this world
I think I got this in a fortune cookie, once.

I suspect iffy auction here, too bad this watch to be real this price...

Yup. Looks like it. The thing is the seller has a 100% rating so that can throw someone off into thinking this is a real deal and good source for a watch. Of course the seller might not be educated on watches as a lot of these sellers sell estate finds not knowing what they have.

The guy that was going to sell me the watch that I first listed above claimed he didn't know anything about them...

Buyer beware.

I think I got this in a fortune cookie, once.
I hope the lottery numbers on the back of it paid off. 😎

Oh, my. The eBay auction ended on that watch. Some poor sucker just spend $762 on a Frankenwatch. Poor bastard.