Forums Latest Members

The Ultimate Guide To The 1969 Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 Gold BA145.022

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 30, 2021

[​IMG]
    This article is all about the gold Omega Speedmaster Professional Apollo 11, reference BA145.022-69. The gold commemorative watch was presented to all the active NASA astronauts in 1969, to the US President and Vice President, as well as to some other officials. It also became available to the public, with a slightly different inscription on […]

Visit The Ultimate Guide To The 1969 Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 Gold BA145.022 to read the full article.

2. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Nov 30, 2021

Thanks for that nice article,

always great to read about the true Original :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

BR
    Hans

3. pdxleaf ... Nov 30, 2021

Thanks for the article. In spite of the watch being well-known, i learned something new, particularly about the various backs.

You gave us a flavor of the astronauts reactions to receiving these watches, which must have been pleasure as they put them on immediately. There was no silly debate about gold not being a good material for a tool watch. Nor did they store them away in a closet; straight to the wrist!

Does anyone know how the astronauts were able to keep their watches? Civilian and military federal employees are under the same laws about accepting gifts as were Nixon and Agnew. It's great that they were allowed to keep their watches but I haven't understood how they got around the law. NASA was (and still is) particular about gifts.

I agree on the value. While it is still alot of money, considering what people pay for a gray market Daytona or other watches, this a a relative deal.

Thanks again. Love Tuesdays!

4. M'Bob Nov 30, 2021

Robert, what would you speculate the price difference would be between watches with the less common “Conquest” back and the model with the more common back inscription?