The Old Genéve´s.... lets see them :-)

Posts
496
Likes
677
Hmmmm aren’t I ahead in the queue gbesq you already have about 5!
I have none yet.
 
Posts
3,646
Likes
7,749
those were AFAIK seen up until the late 1940s and were usually in the 7-8 digit region. Is that 6 digit number not more likely to be a number relevant to the external case maker

Sorry to contradict. 6-digit numbers are not uncommon on gold automatics from that era. Its different with earlier hand wound watches which had 7-8 digit numbers but mostly no ref# in the caseback.
 
Posts
809
Likes
9,406
The first generation Geneve is in my opinion one of the most beautiful Omega watches. The movement also looks somehow more beautiful compared to other models of the time
 
Posts
809
Likes
9,406
Sorry if this is off topic, but I don't know where to ask this question. I noticed that after the posts of most people the title of the topics is red, and after mine and the minority black, what is this related to? Maybe there is a fee for the maintenance of the forum that I do not know about, and I would like to contribute? Is it related to the number of posts on the forum?
 
Posts
1,325
Likes
1,872
Sorry if this is off topic, but I don't know where to ask this question. I noticed that after the posts of most people the title of the topics is red, and after mine and the minority black, what is this related to? Maybe there is a fee for the maintenance of the forum that I do not know about, and I would like to contribute? Is it related to the number of posts on the forum?
I think black just means that you have read that particular thread in its entirety
 
Posts
10,745
Likes
16,730
Sorry to contradict. 6-digit numbers are not uncommon on gold automatics from that era. Its different with earlier hand wound watches which had 7-8 digit numbers but mostly no ref# in the caseback.
I am sure they are not uncommon (in fact I have a few myself) but are you saying they were stamping a factory case serial up until the 60s or later? If so can it be used for dating purposes? I had rather assumed it was the case maker who was stamping the number and thus no use since they would all be working to different schemes. The earlier 7-8 digit case serials can be used for rough dating purposes in a similar way to movement serials, it would be interesting to know if the later 6 digit ones might also be utilised.

Note the watch in question which is apparently from circa 1958 is a manual wind so I wonder at the theory that the 6 digit numbers are more normally seen on autos.
Edited:
 
Posts
8,245
Likes
29,122
The first generation Geneve is in my opinion one of the most beautiful Omega watches.

At the risk of being (typically) pedantic, I would separate the automatic and manual-wind versions, as the latter were the true, "first generation" Genève.
Edited:
 
Posts
809
Likes
9,406
At the risk of being (typically) pedantic, I would separate the automatic and manual-wind versions, as the latter were the true, "first generation" Genève.


I think you know what I meant ? But I have to admit, you're right.
 
Posts
496
Likes
677
Seems like all the good ones have homes no disrespect to the owners but all I can find are things like this:
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,376
Seems like all the good ones have homes no disrespect to the owners but all I can find are things like this:
Patience is key. It took me four years to find mine and I stumbled upon it browsing a dealer's website of all places. It's the only watch that I've ever purchased from a dealer. I've seen a couple good examples come up for sale on the private watch sales forum over the past few years, but they go fast. What makes these early Geneve references so hard to find in good condition is not only dial deterioration in many examples but also that most of the time the chamfers on the lugs - which really set the early Geneve cases apart and make them unique - have been polished away.
 
Posts
496
Likes
677
Y agree am also after a Longines 7171 and often twisted lug edges are very soft
 
Posts
2,814
Likes
6,941
Another addition to the collection, a jumbo 2748 ref cursive Geneve with a two tone waffle dial and pink/rose gold accents. I like how the patina pairs with the accents

Side by side with the black waffle dial 2748..

 
Posts
763
Likes
10,296
Sorry to contradict. 6-digit numbers are not uncommon on gold automatics from that era. Its different with earlier hand wound watches which had 7-8 digit numbers but mostly no ref# in the caseback.

Note the watch in question which is apparently from circa 1958 is a manual wind so I wonder at the theory that the 6 digit numbers are more normally seen on autos.
Hmm, interesting, as noted, mine is an earlier reference with the manual wind caliber 267...¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

Here's a pre-service photo of the movement (number obscured).
Thank you, I appreciate the engagement and discussion!
 
Posts
2,454
Likes
9,972
A trio of 2748s in stainless, vivid yellow and veritable rose gold, I’ve never seen one in platinum or WG.
 
Posts
620
Likes
4,971
I was wondering if there has been a Geneve with a depressed sub second? I came across one with reference 14713. Looking it up in the Omega database does not give more info. Anyone here?
 
Posts
620
Likes
4,971
OK, like you mentioned in tour ad: there not many offered on the market. So I was a bit surprised so see a specimen.👍
 
Posts
620
Likes
4,971
Just arrived per mail:


I pulled the trigger because to me the price was right. Crown not original, but otherwise look ok. Unless some of you can blow me of my cloud😀
Ref 14713 caliber 267.