Forums Latest Members

The mystery of my jammed Moonwatch pusher

1. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Sep 11, 2020

I’ll try and keep this as concise as possible; I’m just curious to know if anyone has experienced similar...

Several weeks ago, when stopping my 3yo Moonwatch’s chrono, the pusher jammed. A cursory glance told me the watch had actually run out of power, so I gave the crown a spin and after that it seemed fine. A week went by. I used the chrono a few times but no further issues.

Then, when starting the chrono, the same thing happened, only this time it wouldn’t budge. No amount of fiddling or crown action made any difference, so the next day I took it to the local AD. They tried to shift it; no joy there either. Off it went for what we all assumed would be a full service.

Four weeks go by and I haven’t heard a thing, so today I called in at the AD as I was passing on the off-chance they had any updates. Long story short: Omega said they couldn’t find any fault with the watch. They’d taken the back off, pushers out, put it back together, tested it repeatedly etc. They were about to do a “partial service“ (waterproof gasket, new pushers, £200) and then I turned up. I basically decided that if there’s nothing wrong with it, they can just send it back and I’ll save myself a few quid for the time being, thank you very much. Apparently the service centre wondered if I’d pressed the pusher in at an angle somehow... but I wouldn’t even have noticed if I had. The mystery remains unsolved...

Fin

schoolboy and janice&fred like this.
  2. janice&fred Sep 11, 2020

Hang out for a bit as I'm willing to bet Archer has come across that symptom before and can make an educated guess whether pusher replacement might be the cure.

madjestikmoose, schoolboy and Mad Dog like this.
  3. tyrantlizardrex Sep 11, 2020

I had a stuck pusher which turned out to be caused by a dislodged screw from the movement. Full service (as it was long overdue one), And all was right again.

Thankfully the wandering screw did no damage.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 11, 2020

First off, the state of wind won't have anything to do with the start/stop, or reset functions working.

Interestingly, I had this question from someone last month on a forum - can't recall if it was here or not. I asked for a good clear case back shot, and was sent this:

1.jpg

Little zoom, brighten, and crop...

0.jpg

et voilà...

Dial foot screw had come loose and was jamming the pusher. Note that this screw is mobile, so if the problem goes away, that doesn't mean it's fixed...

Cheers, Al

5. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Sep 11, 2020

I did contact @Archer before taking it to the AD, he was as ever a big help. Hoping now that it isn’t a loose screw that they’ve somehow missed... :unsure:

GrouchoM, Thrasher36 and schoolboy like this.
  6. janice&fred Sep 11, 2020

Well it may have been exactly as Al pointed out in his example, and Omega just attended to that as well as installing new pushers. Hopefully you're all set now. :thumbsup:

schoolboy and madjestikmoose like this.
  7. schoolboy Sep 11, 2020

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the forum Archer !

8. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Sep 15, 2020

Well, the watch is back. Been on my wrist for the past hour. Pushers appear to be functioning normally. But I'm not sure how to feel about it, to be honest.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 15, 2020

How about pleased that the watch is fixed? That would be the rational thing...at least to me.

10. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Sep 15, 2020

I get you, completely. But part of me thinks, “the watch isn’t fixed. Because they said it wasn’t broken. Except it was.”

Thrasher36 and Tekashi_145.022 like this.
  11. mjb Sep 15, 2020

It's always annoying when that happens. I brought an integrated amp in for service as the "surround sound" channels were not working properly. After two months they said "eh, can't fix it" and so now I just listen in stereo (it's too nice and expensive to just throw away). But they also fixed the burnt out light and gave it a good cleaning without mentioning that, so I would expect that when Omega had it they tightened all of the loose screws and didn't bother to mention it either.

madjestikmoose likes this.
  12. Gasman Sep 24, 2020

If it happens again give it a squirt of WD40 and pull it out with a pair of pliers

13. schoolboy Sep 24, 2020

What?

isnt wd40 súper bad for the seals?

14. Pazzo Sep 24, 2020

Surely he was kidding. ... :)

15. Pazzo Sep 24, 2020

Personally, I don't think that anything was actually broken.
    Calm down and enjoy your watch now that you have it back.

16. schoolboy Sep 24, 2020

I had a watchmaker spray wd40 below my Seiko skx bezel to loosen it up

he did this without my permission and I was pissed and wondering how he as a watchmaker doesn’t know that harsh chemicals cause damage to the seals

Thrasher36 likes this.
  17. Gasman Sep 24, 2020

Yes I was kidding. I put a smiley face after it but it didn’t show in the post

18. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Sep 24, 2020

I’m calm. And enjoying it. It seems to be working fine now. But I’m curious as to why anyone - Omega especially - would think there was never anything wrong with it. I assure you I didn’t just imagine the pusher was stuck fast, and neither did the staff at the AD when I took it in.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  19. Graemega Sep 24, 2020

Yes, and in other news they’ve just removed ‘gullible’ from the dictionary.

Gasman and Thrasher36 like this.
  20. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Sep 24, 2020

Reminded me of the classic "Airplane" line: