Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. munichblue Mar 8, 2017

Hello, my name is Mike and since last Sunday I'm fifty years old. I was born and raised in Munich and my most favourite colour is blue, hence my username. Funnily enough I do only support Clubs wearing blue - must be a psychological thing... :whistling:

I started collecting watches 20 years ago when I bought a - guess what! - Submariner for my 30th birthday. Since then I owned and flipped quite a number of watches, some of them twice, but for some years I'm focused on Omega only now.

When I'm not browsing OF or other internet watch sources I enjoy living with my lovely wife and two cats. And then there's this job as a project manager but everybody have to earn a living and fund our expensive hobbies.

I follow OF.net since June last year and I'm really impressed about the high level of knowledge and competence of many users. I also like the relaxed atmosphere here. Happy to be part of the community now and look forward learning and enjoying interesting stuff every day. :thumbsup:

2. Tiger8888 Mar 9, 2017

A late introduction...I'm Mark, 56, living in Kent, UK, and have always loved watches. Historically, I have tended to keep only one or two, mainly Rolex and Omega, and regularly flip. In the past year I have recently changed that philosophy, the collection has broadened and vintage has been on the rise. I'm a novice but willing to learn!
    My small collection now numbers 10...this has changed significantly in the past year as I begun to truly appreciate what I really like (aesthetics, something unique, practicality and size), rather than following the "herd".
    Departures have been Exp 1&2, Sinn 104, various Squale, Steinhart Marine 38, Glycine Combat sub, Ball Engineer, DJ 1988 16220, FOIS, Tudor BB & BB36, O Seamaster 120 from 1969 (big loss), and a 1970s Zenith.
    Existing now: DJ 1987 16030, AT 8500, Deville chrono 1996, O 1970s f300 hummer, 1970s Tissot Seastar, Zenith 1972 2542, Accutron RR 1976, Zodiac Seawolf, CW Trident C60, G-shock (for the gym!). There may be a 1972 Longines Admiral incoming!
    I thoroughally enjoy this group, appreciate the enormous knowledge base, hope I may contribute in my small way, and am learning all the time.

Edited Mar 9, 2017
    nonuffinkbloke, ahartfie and marcn like this.
  3. Apollo13 Mar 10, 2017

Hey guys, my name is Sam. I have a problem... I have recently been diagnosed as an Omegaholic. I have been collecting watches for a while, started with Rolex & Tudor, found my way to Patek and only as of last year did I start collecting Omegas, speedmasters only. Though Patek will always be my first love in the horological world, I have recently been enjoying my Speedmasters considerably more! Very collectible, well-made and extremely aesthetically pleasing watches.

My first Omega was none other than the 2015 Snoopy, from there I have added an Alaska Project III (found the I considering, but my god its expensive), Platinum Moon Phase, Apollo 11 45th Anniversary, an Aventurine dial speedy and after I have found a Soyuz (meteorite not the 1975 ver.) I think I'll be done in the modern world other than the occasionally LE and I'll turn my attention to vintage. This all started because I am, admittedly a Sci-Fi nut and am a huge fan of NASA and the outer space exploration. Its fascinating, and there is just something immensely special about wearing a watch that is NASA qualified to go to space.

I have been watching this forum for quite some time, learning about all sorts of Omega related goodness and it has proven to be an invaluable resource to me, for that I say thank you to the wonderful burgeoning community here. I created this account and started posting initially because I wanted to reach my 200 post mark and finally inquire about this Soyuz (note to admins, this is not a sly attempt at bypassing the 200 rule, just telling a story folks) I'm so desperately after (not well priced on the 'inflated' chrono24 and none coming up in auction). However, after just a couple of posts, I am starting to enjoy this a lot and I think I will have to readjust my purpose of being here. I want to be part of this community and I hope I can contribute in some way to this amazing forum.

Seeya around ;)

nonuffinkbloke, Rodmar and Tiger8888 like this.
  4. 5starChad Mar 19, 2017

Hello everyone! Been a lurker for awhile and have recently gotten some helpful information from you great memebers. Thought it would be polite to introduce myself. My name is Josh, 27 for another month, and living in Dallas, Texas. Have always been into watches and went through cheaper watches. Always dreamed of putting an Omega on my wrist and so I went for a vintage as my first purchase. It was a champagne dialed 1969 Omega Seamaster ref 166.032. Loved the uniqueness of the sparkle dial. Have recently been working towards getting a more modern Omega. Currently looking at getting a Aqua Terra ref 2502.33.00. Love that blue on white! Definitely starting to think about a Speedmaster Pro in the future after seeing so many beautiful examples on here. I also just acquired a Seamaster ref 2501.53 after having a few too many and hitting up ebay lol. Thanks to the great people here I was able to confirm that the 2501.53 was a legitimate model after having some doubts. Thank you for the great advice and the fantastic threads I've gone through so far and look forward to being here for a long time.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  5. blacktiger Mar 22, 2017

Hi there!

I'm Dan, 19 years old based in Lancashire UK.

I posted on here a few days ago explaining my yearn for wanting to start a collection, but after searching through the various depths of the site, came across this "introduction" thread, so although I have kind of already introduced myself, and apologises for doing it the wrong way round... I thought I would do it anyway!

I've always been a lover of watches since being a boy, where my first watch came when I was 5, my father took me into a, and I'm no longer ashamed to admit, a cheapy store to buy me my first piece, an idea iea it was to get me something cheap as after a few months of digging in the garden, it didn't end well! Before I was allowed it, I I was asked to read the time, from one of the clocks on the wall, sure enough, those years prior learning meant I got it right...and so started my love for the ticking specimens.

My story is so similar to a fellow, and far more clued up collector named Jake (@Jwit ), a really helpful and approachable guy. Like him, my first "proper" watch was an 18th birthday gift from my parents. A watch that many on here will curse but one I will cherish. It's a Hugo Boss Chronograph, in other words, a plated gold fashion watch, it's this one in case anyone is interested.

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/websto...stainless+steel+&+gold-plated+bracelet+watch/

Anyway, if you would like to see my first post, I started a thread about being a complete novice...I have already had some fantastic advice and posts with a whole host of tips and information. Maybe one day I'll look back on this introduction with a collection, of 2-3 really nice Omegas or other brands that I shall be also cherishing! I love the older Connie's and since seeing @Jwit F300HZ I love that also.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/com...vintage-omega-budget.55006/page-3#post-673543 <--- My first post on OF

Apologies for such a long introduction, more like my life story but oh well, hope you know a little more about me now. :)

If you want any more information about me, drop me a PM :)

Thanks for reading,

-Dan

nonuffinkbloke, ahartfie and Jwit like this.
  6. Bunsen Mar 24, 2017

Hi everyone,

My name is Bunsen and I am living in Hong Kong. I have been a collector for sports memorabilia (football) for years, but just started my interest in watches, mainly Omega.

I am a James Bond fan and science fiction lover, fancying space travels, and of course anything related to lunar landing. Thus my choice of Omega is natural.

My first watch is the blue CK2998 LE, purchased recently on my trip to Nagoya Japan. I originally planned for a Seamaster Professional 300, but this blue one is like a "love at first sight" :D

So here I find my self fall in love with the Speedy! And very glad to discover this place with very knowledgeable people sharing the same passion

Cheers !

nonuffinkbloke, marcn and munichblue like this.
  7. SouthernScot Mar 24, 2017

Sorry messed up that first reply, anyway welcome! I'm new here myself, I'm sure you will enjoy your time on this forum. Love your CK2998.

Found out how to delete messed up post!

nonuffinkbloke and Bunsen like this.
  8. Laughj84 Mar 25, 2017

Hi, I am Jack a college student and watch nerd. I love all things Nomos, and I love this forum for learning about Speedies!

9. Nathan5830 Mar 25, 2017

My first watch was a McDonald's digital watch when I was 8 years old. I put in the middle of my bmx bicycle that idea worked fine until it rained one day... I've had many through the years. I graduated to a couple tag heuer but hate quartz watches bc of the constant battery change! Any this watch collecting is a disease but it's fun too. Now I've gotten into automatics as of currently.

10. Sheepdog812 Mar 25, 2017

I've been luriking and reading for a while so I guess it's time I made an introduction. My name is Kevin and I am 43 years old and a 22 year veteran police sergeant in Kentucky. I've been a fan of watches for as long as I can remember and of Omegas since college. I sold my first and only Omega last year (SMP 300m quartz) to help fund another purchase. Finally getting back to being in a position to replace it and am looking at either an SMPC or a PO. My choice seems to change daily but that is part of the fun of the hunt, I'll know it when I see it. I have my eye on a couple listed here, but I'm not telling which ones :D I'm on a couple of other watch forums under this name also and belong to several dive watch groups on FB. I currently have a blue Seiko Sumo, a Dievas Shadow and a GShock Mudmaster (work watch). I usually tend to stay in my lane and not post much, but I do lurk and read and research a fair amount. I'll be sure to post when I make my decision and show off my new purchase. Best wishes to everyone!

jflores and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  11. palmettoman Mar 26, 2017

Hello all,
    My name is Bryan and reside in the good ol' USA. I've been collecting/selling watches for a few years and recently got my first Omega - a SMP 2264. It's such a great everyday watch...nice, but not too nice to worry about getting banged up. I'm a member of several other watch forums, but don't normally post too much. I've enjoyed reading the content here and plan to hang around for awhile. Best!!!

Edited Mar 26, 2017
  12. Burgo79 Mar 29, 2017

G'day ladies and gentlemen.

My name is Les and I live in, "a land down under".

I recently made a f300 purchase and hence my recent attention to this site.
    Unexpectedly my first Omega has officially granted me entry into the electronic chronometer and Seamaster watch circles in one terrific manoeuvre. My attention has now shifted from vintage mechanicals to hummers and I have another f300 already inbound- I can't wait!

Looking forward to exploring this great site.

Kind regards,

Les.

P.S. I just got lost in the "About Omega Buckles" post by omegastar. Big fan. Great post. Thank you!

ahartfie and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  13. dnuggett Mar 29, 2017

Hello there. Bee lurking for a long time, reading, and gathering knowledge. Long been a fan of fine mechanical craftsmanship and design. I have recently added two Seamasters, both Bond blue wave dials. The newest is on its way. I'm looking forward to starting a good collection. I may have to use my first Seamaster 168.1623 to pay for the GMT 2535.80.00. I'll just need the GMT in to see which I want to keep.

nonuffinkbloke and dsio like this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2017

Welcome mate, set an avatar when you get a chance :thumbsup:

15. Ranger230 Mar 29, 2017

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for a while and decided to join your forum. I like nice watches and have yet to to buy an Omega, which lately I'm very drawn too. I typically find myself gravitating towards the diver style watch as it fits my life style. I currently own a Rolex Sea Dweller, and a Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine.

I'll continue to try and grasp knowledge from this forum as I feel way over my head.

nonuffinkbloke and Sheepdog812 like this.
  16. OversighT Mar 29, 2017

Hi everyone--
    My name is Troy and I'm from the US (currently living in Pennsylvania). Collecting has always been a thing for me... when I was a kid it was baseball cards. Once I went off to college the collecting bug left me which is probably a good thing because I could focus on school and learning how to live on my own. A few years after I graduated my wife gifted me with a Citizen chronograph and I've been adding to the collection ever since. My tastes run the gamut... I have a couple of smart watches (probably my least favorite watches), a number of quartz models from brands like AVI-8, Nixon, and MVMT, a novelty Philadelphia Eagles watch that my kids got me for fathers day last year, a Timex weekender... I just love watches. My favorite watches in the bunch are my Hamilton Khaki Pilot (grey dial), a Botta Tres Carbon, a Maratac Pilot, and my most recent addition the Speedmaster Tintin. My Omega wish list continues to grow and I know that being a member here is NOT going to help that problem :).

I have not found my way around the forum yet so I'm really looking forward to diving into all of the content here and learning and contributing as much as I can.

Bucket list item: taking a watchmaking class and assembling my own watch.

See y'all around.

T.

Kreindog24 and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  17. Kian Mar 29, 2017

Hi,

my name is Kian and I'm a newbie :)

I currently live in Singapore. Started getting into watches when I received a Zenith el primero grande date as a gift, it looks beautiful and I love it :) Since I enjoy having mechanical watches I have started to look for my second watch.

I have always like to have an Omega watch. My el primero has quite a few complications so I was looking to have a simple dress watch. Since I can't have it too simple I'm looking for a watch with date function. Been searching around vintage watches and quite like 60's Omega dress watched. I'm not an expert about calibers or collectibles but manged to find a watch I like in 18ct rose gold, would appreciate your opinions about the watch and its price:

https://www.chrono24.sg/omega/18k-rose-gold-manual-c-1962--id5901972.htm

Looking forward to getting more involved :)

Thanks,
    Kian

Greatoldone and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  18. shatterstate Mar 30, 2017

Hey all,

New to the Omega world, I'm hoping I can contribute in a productive manner. Until then I'm looking forward to learning about all the nuances of vintage Omega from the pros...

Jwit and Greatoldone like this.
  19. kuma-kun Apr 3, 2017

Styggepyggeno1 told me that this is the place to be even I'm not really an Omega-fan and actually just have 2 of them, both kind of accidentally.
    My interest is mainly in Japanese watches which I find interesting and most often to reasonable prices.
    My most watches are from the 50, 60 and 70's but a few older and newer watches are there as well.
    Hope I can contribute some here and enjoy the good atmosphere.

[​IMG]

/Bjorn.

BrianMcKay, Burgo79, Jwit and 2 others like this.
  20. Smoothness Apr 4, 2017

New to the forum, soon to be new to an Omega, which will be my first 'real' watch. New to not having a lot of money...wait, no. Not new to that. I'm just here learning and reading and wishing I had some of these watches. And learning what I like, and how to acquire them with the best deals in mind. Slow build. Slowwww. I've always wanted an Omega, and decided to jump in (about time). ha. Watch pun. My eyes are set on a Seamaster Bond version. Sigh. I haven't even bought it yet, and I'm already looking at an "AND". I kinda need a Speedmaster too. And a Planet Ocean. Probably. Slowwwww build.

Jwit and nonuffinkbloke like this.