Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

I'll start things off...

Hello, my name is Trevor, and I have a mechanical watch fetish. I'm a designer by trade building mostly websites, and working with various e-commerce platforms. I live on a sailing yacht with my wife and Bengal Cat.

My previous watch was a Rolex Datejust w/silver dial, domed bezel. I sold this one, but always regretted it. My current is a Seamaster Chronograph 2598.80 (which I've just changed over to a 2599.80/blue bezel). My next will likely be a Planet Ocean (or perhaps ceramic Submariner).

I'm an admin/mod on the forum along with a couple of others. I'm also mostly responsible for the design you're using now (hope you like it).

We wanted to put together a watch enthusiast community with a good/usable design, run by fully competent sysadmins on great hardware, and powered by a modern forum (software) platform.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Cheers :)

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

Hi I'm Ashley, I'm a Linux systems engineer and handle the back-end operations of the site.

I don't have a wife and my cat died two years ago. And it wasn't a Bengal, it was a socially inept Siamese.

I got into watches with a TAG Heuer F1, which died, I was given a quote for over $2,000 to repair it (a $300 watch) so I purchased an Omega Seamaster Divers Chronograph instead, and since then have also picked up and completely rebuilt a Rolex Submariner 1680 and a vintage Omega Constellation Pie-Pan.

My next watch changes every day of the week, but could be a Rolex Milgauss GV, or a Patek 5036, or an Omega Hour Vision, or a vintage Omega Speedmaster Pro (Cal 321).

We hope you guys enjoy it, and we really are open to other brands even though its an Omega forum in name, I personally consider Omega and Rolex to be two sides of the same coin and have a deep appreciation for both.

Look forward to meeting the rest of you!

Waltesefalcon, blubarb, Yak1 and 32 others like this.
  3. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Mar 24, 2011

I'm Chris, part time student, part time watch salesman, full time WIS! Got bitten by the bug about three years ago now, mainly as a result of my work at the shop - I wanted to learn more about watches to become a better salesman, and it helped me appreciate watches for what they are, marvels of engineering with, more often than not, a great story to go with them! Shortly after, I was gifted a Rolex Datejust 116200 on Oyster with a black Arabic dial, a watch I never intend to sell.

My love affair with Omega began with another gift: a steel Seamaster Dynamic, which came with a choice of steel bracelet or rubber strap - essentially, you unscrewed the head from the bracelet, and transferred it over. Clever system. That's been put into retirement for now, as opening up the watch to change the battery is a nightmare. However, it hasn't dented my love for the brand: I would quite happily own several models from the current range.

Current watches I own as well as the above mentioned are a couple of Rotaries, a melted Seiko Black Monster (long story), a Seiko 5 orange sports diver, and a Tissot PR50 NASCAR chronograph. I would love my next big purchase to be a Speedmaster Pro - sums up everything that's great about Omega, in my opinion.

Looking forward to contributing some reviews here, got plenty in the pipeline, and I hope the forum can grow and become the definitive place to discuss Omega watches

Chris

blubarb, Duracuir1, EricCsN and 9 others like this.
  4. himmelblau Mar 25, 2011

My name is Brian and I'm an Omegaphile, don't ask me why, as I don't know. I must have fallen for subliminal advertising in my youth.

I'm ex-military and served as a gravel belly in the Royal Marines and as a vehicle mechanic and vehicle electrician in the REME. My civilian trade was as an electronics technician. Apart from six years voluntary ex-service welfare from 1994 - 2000, I have been unable to work due to health problems contracted in the military. My head and knees share a common condition i.e. internal derangement.

I have always been interested in watches but caught the WIS bug early in 2010 which I find as expensive as my other hobby, photography.

Unlike Trev or Ashley, I don't have a cat; instead I have a dog named Beau who is very pious being that he is a Parsons Terrier.

Duracuir1, EricCsN, DaveK and 10 others like this.
  5. omegagmt Mar 30, 2011

Hi all,
    I've been a member of a number of other watch forums and stumbled across this site. I truly love omega watches. Of course James Bond drew me into these wonderful timepieces. This is the watch that did it for me.
    [​IMG]
    I just recently put it on a Bond strap. I've owned this watch for over 10 years and have never taken off the bracelet. I've ordered a number of maratac zulu straps to spice it up. Make it easier to accessorize with my daily routine or mood. Not that it doesn't go with everything already.
    [​IMG]
    A lume shot. Even after 10 years it still hasn't lost its glow.

DaveK, TGX, rominvicta and 6 others like this.
  6. rxpete Mar 30, 2011

Your watch looks great on the NATO. I have a PO that I put on one but never considered doing it to the great white.

I see so many lume shots of this watch and people being amazed by it. I have to tell you I was really disappointed by it. My PO and electric blue blow this watch out of the water when lume is concerned. I guess it's because it's not c3.

Besides that I love mine more and more as time goes on. I wore it all day today. I went great with a shirt and tie and now with jeans and a t-shirt.

Ssolanos likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2011

That's interesting, the one I tried was like a torch compared to my Seamaster chrono diver, which is actually very faint in spite of being very new (2007). Are there differences between years in the lume?

8. rxpete Mar 30, 2011

I just bought mine NOS this summer along with a NOS electric blue. The lume on the great white is a white lume and green on the electric blue. The EB is easier to charge, is brighter, and lasts much longer than the GW. It's to the point that it's difficult to read the watch in the dark. ..and that's after wearing it in a bright environment prior.

9. omegagmt Mar 30, 2011

Check my avatar pic. Keep in qwerty mind that this watch is over ten years old. My seiko monster will blow any omega's lume away.

10. rxpete Apr 2, 2011

How did you charge it? Mine will get like that on a bright summer day or after charging with a flash light, but it won't last very long. My PO and Electric Blue charge more easily and last much longer.

11. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 2, 2011

My 2599 is from 97. The Queensland sun seems to get it charged up the best. It doesn't glow brightly for very long.

harry12 and cgilbert like this.
  12. omegagmt Apr 3, 2011

Sunlight will do fine. For real intense lume, I'll use a UV flashlight.makes it a torch for a good five minutes and then will continue for about 30 minutes.

13. ssscottg Apr 21, 2011

Hi,

My name is Scott and I have been wearing Omega Watches since 1989. Whew that is a long time! My first Omega was a Quartz Constellation. Nice watch. I bought it new for about $900, then quickly received a replacement from the store because it was malfunctioning. Shortly after I bought my wife a De ville which she wore for 15 years without issue. In 2004 I bought a new Cindy Crawford Constellation for my wife with a MOP face. Very nice watch that she really likes.

My Constellation ran nice for for about 11 years until I went swimming with crown pulled out. :eek: It was never the same. But it was my reason to buy a Y2K Seamaster Quartz. This watch has run like a top for it's whole life.

In 2009 I bought a 1998 Rolex Date-adjust which I have been wearing daily. This watch was almost new when I purchased, because it still had a legible green sticker on the case back.

I joined the forum because I am thinking about buying another Omega for my collection. I was hot for a vintage Seamaster, but now I am thinking Speedmaster Chrono.

So that's my story. Well at least the wrist watch part of the story! ;)

And now some pictures

kenny Sadie Hawkins Dance 031.JPG kenny Sadie Hawkins Dance 037.JPG kenny Sadie Hawkins Dance 041.JPG

kenny Sadie Hawkins Dance 039.JPG kenny Sadie Hawkins Dance 044.JPG
  14. omegagmt Apr 21, 2011

Welcome to the forum Scott.:thumbsup:

DaveK likes this.
  15. navin56 Jun 30, 2011

hi
    I am navin and i am 13 years old. I and fasinated by mechanical watches movements and have a rough knowledge on servicing them.
    I mostly practise on replica japaneese movements and the next month on restoring my grandfathers pocket watch.

ScubaRawb, Jeeper, DaveK and 5 others like this.
  16. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jun 30, 2011

Hey Navin, welcome to OF. Hope you'll be sharing some of your watchmaking progress with us.

Cheers

17. navin56 Jul 1, 2011

ya sure :)

18. Rishi Jul 15, 2011

HI
    I'm Rishi and new to the forum, finally convinced my dad to let me "take" over his pre-moon speedy pro. cheers to all.

IMAG0026.jpg

mmrols, DaveK, nonuffinkbloke and 3 others like this.
  19. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jul 17, 2011

Congrats on the Speedy Pro, and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Hope to see some progress shots of that speedy/321 as you get it fixed up.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 17, 2011

Or... you could sell it to me :)

Its a shame that all of these vintage Speedys have family connections and are unlikely to come onto the open market, this is exactly the type of watch and history I like.

Stumbellina and nonuffinkbloke like this.