Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. speedybob Apr 10, 2017

Hello, I'm Bob, I'm new to the forum and new to Omega.
    I just purchased and picked up my first Omega, a Speedmaster Professional (the sapphire one) from an Omega Boutique here.

I always want an Omega watch ever since I saw it in Bond movie... in 2000 I think, I'm not a movie goer, I only watch movies on HBO so usually I watch most movies years after they're released :D

Anyway, after putting it on hold for seventeen years, last week I decided to actually purchase an Omega watch. I wanted to get a Seamaster 300M, the James Bond watch... but I don't know why, when I saw the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch, it's the one that's calling me and the one that I really like. So, it's the Speedmaster Pro that I purchased.

Bob

nonuffinkbloke and ahartfie like this.
  2. elom44 Apr 16, 2017

Hi I'm Nick, new to the forum. Also fairly new to watch collecting and resisting the urge to just rush out there and buy!Instead saving regularly and researching likely candidates.

Definitely more of a dress watch guy as I spend my working life in a suit and lean towards vintage. Of course that means I need to learn a lot more to avoid the numerous pitfalls that await the vintage newbie and I'm looking forward to doing that on this forum.

Thanks!

BrianMcKay, Jwit and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  3. epcwks Apr 16, 2017

Hello, I'm Eric.
    Small enthusiast with a couple Oris, a few Omegas a couple Hamiltons and some odd collectables.
    I visit here a few times a month. I'll upload a shot of one of my watches in a bit.

4. Edwinowl Apr 16, 2017

Probably do be this the wrong way round too but introduced myself in a different area.
    Anyhow, hi guys, Andy from Nottingham UK.
    Prob own about a dozen but my fab 4 are my prude and joy.
    69 Glycine GMT, 70 Speedy Mark 2, 97 polar explorer 2 and a 74heuer Silverstone.
    Lots to go at and I'm raring to get started and read.

Cheers. Andy

5. McJamesT Apr 18, 2017

Hi I'm James. New to the forums after getting my first Speedy on a dream trip (im 38 and have wanted to go since I understood Nintendo was in Japan in the NES days) to Japan.

I have a smaller collection- TT Rolex Sub, 90's SS Tudor Sub, my TinTin, a Seiko 5 Pilots Watch and a Seiko Quartz Sports Chronograph 150 and hoping to add to it now that life has gotten a little easier. Not big on photos, so sorry in advance. You folks seem like a great community (I found you as I had never seen a TinTin before a month or so ago and found the forum searching to see what i stumbled on) Feel free to reach out! I check this during the work week typically.

6. OddSpeedy Apr 18, 2017

Hello forum people!

I suppose this should have been my 1st post (excitement obviously got the better of me!).
    I've been into watches for as long as I can remember... it all started with a flea market knockoff Tag I purchased as a teenager. I've always had decent quality watches (Luminox, a Tissot chrono, a vintage Wittnauer) but never anything really nice. A Speedy has always been a dream of mine, my eBay has been full of Speedmaster Reduced models around the $1500 price range for years, I just never pulled the trigger. It turns out I didn't have to, last month I quite literally found a cal.321 Speedmaster! It's horribly dirty and the crystal is beyond repair, but it's a 321 Speedy obtained for $0, doesn't get much better than that! The watch is currently with a watchmaker for movement service, crystal replacement, and cleaning. I was apprehensive leaving it in someone else's hands, nightmares of picking up a polished case etc, but upon meeting him the first time all fears were gone. I can't wait to go pick it up! should be another week or two. Archive extract is also on it's way. I'll post updates and lot's of pics when I get everything back.

Many thanks to the mods here and also the people who run Speedmaster101 and MWO... your information has been invaluable to me as I dove headfirst into Speedmaster ownership.

-Patrick

BrianMcKay likes this.
  7. watch3s Apr 20, 2017

Greetings everyone!

Joined the forums because of my hankering for a vintage omega seamaster. Have done quite some research and "fishing in the bay". Made a greetings post the other day but looks like this is the place to do it. I have always loved mechanical watches and have a wide range in my collection from antique pocketwatches to more modern stuff. A speedy reduced was technically my first higher dollar watch purchase an Omega, although not the smartest purchase at the time it seemed like a good idea. My second Omega purchased was a gift for my brother's 30th birthday, his grail watch is an Omega Speedmaster. Now looking at my third. Looking forward to learning a lot and adding to my collection of watches. thanks everyone!

-Jack

Edited Apr 20, 2017
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 20, 2017

Would love to hear the story of the $0 Speedmaster 321

9. Heston69 Apr 20, 2017

Hi, I'm Richard, new to the forum but have been lurking for a couple of weeks now. No Omega's yet, but nearly bought a couple in a moment of weakness. Some homework, gleaned advice and resources linked and provided here have probably saved me from making some silly mistakes though. Learning bit by bit, which is quite satisfying.

Only two mechanical watches in my 'collection', a Seiko Sportsmatic 6619-7990 from Feb 1965 (which was my Grandfather's watch) and a Seiko 5 Superior 7S36-01F0. I've managed to do neither of them justice with my grainy pics.

Hopefully I can share my first Omega with you all shortly, so that I can live up to my avatar. I seem to have been looking at vintage Seamasters from the 50's or 60's exclusively, but anything from that period, with character, would be considered.

Thanks,

Richard

sportsmatic.JPG
    superior1.JPG

oddboy, BrianMcKay and ahartfie like this.
  10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 20, 2017

Hi Richard -

Welcome to the forum.

Don't forget to post on the forum before buying just to make sure everything thing is good with your possible purchase(s).

ahartfie and Heston69 like this.
  11. Heston69 Apr 20, 2017

Hi X350 XJR, thanks for the welcome. If I find anything that looks interesting I will seek advice and thoughts on pricing/authenticity etc. Hopefully will know more myself too.

-Richard

12. BrianMcKay Apr 22, 2017

I'm typing on a phone, so I'll just say that I've been interested in sports watches and diving watches since I was a kid. Timex, Citizen, Nike, and Seiko. Favre Leuba and Skagen to wear under shirt sleeves. I have a titanium, blue dial, 42mm Seamaster (2231.80). Maybe someday I'll buy a steel or titanium 42-43mm Planet Ocean. I would love a white dial, white bezel P.O.

Edited Apr 23, 2017
  13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 23, 2017

Welcome guys! Please post more pics!

14. XXoF Apr 23, 2017

Hi Guys,

I am Marc and although I registered on this forum some time ago already, I am still fairly new to it. So far I have been reading and learning about vintage Omega here and on speedmaster101.com (and the Moonwatch Only book is on its way) as I would like to own a nice vintage Speedmaster with the 321 movement.

I currently have this 145.022 as a daily watch:

IMG_5956.JPG

In addition I recently acquired this 145.022-68 Transitional which in my opinion has a very nice dial. And since my birthyear is '68 I just had to have it

IMG_6130.JPG

Looking forward to learning a lot more on this forum. And hopefully contrinbute as well!

Cheers,

Marc

Edited Apr 23, 2017
    kingsrider, oddboy and BrianMcKay like this.
  15. Heston69 Apr 23, 2017

Just to keep oddboy happy :) not the best pics but phone isn't brilliant, macro focus is very poor.

seiko1.JPG
    seiko2.JPG
    seiko3.JPG
    seiko4.JPG
    Seiko 5 Superior is signed fives times, including one on display back - shame about the integrated bracelet as I would like to see this on a NATO
    superior1.JPG
    superior2.JPG
    superior4.JPG
    superior6.JPG

kingsrider and oddboy like this.
  16. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 23, 2017

Nice! Like the case in that Seiko on bracelet!

Heston69 likes this.
  17. Heston69 Apr 23, 2017

It is a lot of watch for such a little outlay - on a different note, I was an underbidder on a 1969 Omega Seamaster on ebay, which has subsequently finished. Could I post this on the Vintage Omega section as I want to ask if I've dodged a bullet or its a good-un that slipped through the net? I bid before doing any real research as I saw it quite late.

oddboy likes this.
  18. Darryl Jenks May 3, 2017

Howdy friends. I'm grateful for this excellent resource. Thank you all for the contributions and willingness to share your knowledge.

I am in the market for a new 311.30.42.30.01.005 or a gently-loved 3570.50. Hesalite is the key feature for me.

I'm too ignorant to know what I'm doing with pre-owned watches, but would one day like to have a nice clean 1975 vintage Speedy. I'm going to try to educate myself before asking too many stupid questions about such a creature, but any gentle nudges in the right direction are appreciated!

19. Andersbackstrom May 6, 2017

Hi guys!
    I'm Anders. Live in Sweden and often hang around on klocksnack.se (the Swedish watch forum).

In my current collection, I only have one Omega :unsure:
    IMG_4641.JPG
    I do however love it! And I have one Omega on service at the moment:
    IMG_4639.JPG
    This will get a nice Pigskin strap.

Otherwise I have some watches:
    Tudor 7928 glossy dial from 1966
    IMG_4503.JPG
    And a 1675 from 1972:
    IMG_4573.JPG
    I might however sell this to get something less expensive...
    An uncommon Quartz-Zenith:
    IMG_4067.JPG

A small Enicar:
    IMG_4449.JPG
    A lovely Pointerdate Tissot from 1947:
    IMG_4323.JPG

And last bit not least, the wedding gift, a Nomos Metro 38 Datum:
    IMG_4353.JPG

Thanks for a great forum!

I know I have to few Omegas but I am currently bidding on a lovely Transferred Ranchero so cross your fingers ;)

IMG_4720.JPG
    R3D9 likes this.
  20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 6, 2017

Welcome mate there are certainly plenty of other Swedes around along with others from Nordic countries.

Andersbackstrom likes this.