Forums Latest Members

Complete novice looking for his first vintage Omega. Budget?

1. slique12 Mar 21, 2017

Some members have rightly advised you to be patient and learn which will also give you time to save up a bit more towards your 1st vintage watch. And while it may be tempting to bump up your current budget, I would advise against that. When starting out in vintage watches, I believe it is better to start small relative to your personal budget so that any mistakes you make (and we all make some) aren't significant in case you ever need to sell and buy another watch.

Of course, if you have your mind set on a more expensive brand (Omega is an example) then you may have no option but to raise your budget to manage a decent, authentic example.

blacktiger likes this.
  2. kkt Mar 21, 2017

Do all those brands have spare parts from 1960s models pretty readily available?

blacktiger likes this.
  3. slique12 Mar 21, 2017

If the watch has a common/popular movement then your chances improve but at this point we are looking at discontinued brands/models that are over 50 years old so I would guess it's not that easy to source many parts.

blacktiger likes this.
  4. Bumper Mar 21, 2017

Hello Daniel,

Longines, IMHO, are still a little undervalued, esp the 50's to 60's models. The quality of their movements is comparable to Omega & in some models, even better.

Here is your classic Omega workhorse, the 30T2. Legendary movement, etc, etc.
    30T2.JPG
    Here is the Longines 280,
    Longines 280.JPG

And here is the Omega 30T2 in all its chronometer rated glory.
    30T2RG.JPG

So, difference between the standard 30T2 & chronometer rated 30T2? Apart from the regulator, you have polished screws, edges of all the bridges are polished/rounded off, the most noticeable are the teeth on the gears, beveled, polished & lightened like a car's flywheel.

So which of the 2 non chronometer movements has a better finish? Which looks nicer to you? Which looks like it had more time & effort spent finishing & polishing. The devil is in the details, train yourself to pay attention to the little things, (and this should also apply to the rest of your life, your wife, kids, your job) and trust your eyes. You may not know much about something, but humans tend to notice quality. Easiest way to explain this is ; shopping with the wife.

When i'm out shopping with her, be it for a sofa, a tv, furniture.... the most expensive thing in the shop always catches her eye. It's because it looks good, you can't disguise quality.

good luck, do lots of research. :thumbsup:

Jwit, blacktiger and RancheroMaster like this.
  5. blacktiger Mar 22, 2017

Wow hah thank you so much! To my untrained eye, the Longines looks certainly on par with the above Omega you sent, the bottom polished bevelled finish is of course stunning, hence the price. Am I right in thinking to gauge a watch by its quality and price one of the main things to look at is the back without the case to see the inner workings? Like you said, it's all about training the eye into seeing quality, not being told I suppose!

In the workings, you can see where it says "X Amount of Jewells", what does this mean? Is the higher the number the better the watch?

Thank you! :)

6. blacktiger Mar 22, 2017

Also, that comment on shopping with the wife made me laugh, very true statement indeed! ;) :)

7. RancheroMaster Mar 22, 2017

I agree with what has already been said - at that price range you're best looking for a Longines. The finish quality of their movements during the 1950's and 1960's was exceptionally good, arguably better than Omega. Cyma is also an interesting brand who made some excellent movements.

Regarding the jewel count - above about 15 jewels it doesn't really matter. 17 jewels is regarded as 'fully jewelled', and is the standard minimum for a high quality vintage watch.

Bumper and blacktiger like this.
  8. blacktiger Mar 22, 2017

My dream first watch is of course set on a stunning Omega, however I would assume that many of the fellow watch collectors have that one piece they long for, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the idea of acquiring a top quality Tissot, rather than a lower end, higher maintence Omega. As I've said, which I do believe is true, if I can find a beautiful Tissot, that would mean more to me in the long run than getting burnt on a fake Omega or one with redials etc. That makes the wait and research into my second watch, which I hope would be an Omega even more exciting later down the road!!

Thank you so much for you post, all are helping me so much. :)

9. blacktiger Mar 22, 2017

Ah OK, so above is 15 is what I should be looking for. What does that Jewel count mean though?

In terms of Longines, would you be able to me what models/pieces I should be looking for?

Thanks! :)

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 22, 2017

A lot of Swiss watch brands worth looking into
    Swiss watch less than £50 at a antique shop ( paid $70 AUD )

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Vitezi, blacktiger and ahartfie like this.
  11. blacktiger Mar 22, 2017

That's a nice piece. I'll need to have a look at some antique shops around my area. When you were thinking about buying it did you know straight away it was original, if it is original for example. Or did you buy it on whim? If I saw that, I would only know the quality by the "Swiss Made" marker, aside from that I wouldn't have a clue!

STANDY likes this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 22, 2017

blacktiger likes this.
  13. blacktiger Mar 22, 2017

Yes, I've been doing lot's of it!

I'm considering staying away from eBay and sticking to finding some more trustworthy sellers on OF.

14. blacktiger Mar 22, 2017

Currently, I'm in awe at some of the watches on WRUW Today. I'm still looking for that perfect Omega for me with a budget of £300. However Tissot and Longines are also of great interest to me...I'll keep looking!

15. kkt Mar 22, 2017

Read about jeweled bearings here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_bearing

Some watch manufacturers put more than 17 jeweled bearings, hoping you'll think they're better, but actually diminishing returns sets in rapidly and it doesn't make noticeable difference.

blacktiger likes this.
  16. Bumper Mar 23, 2017

Then there are quirks like this ;)

Waltham 100 Jewels.JPG

blacktiger likes this.
  17. blacktiger Mar 23, 2017

Haha that's a bit much!

Am I right in thiking that only 17 of those jewels is what really matter in the watch?

18. Bumper Mar 23, 2017

well, thereabouts :)

blacktiger likes this.
  19. cristos71 Mar 23, 2017

Without knowledge and experience you are never going to find the perfect Omega within your budget. There isn't really a reference around where a perfect or very good specimen would be trading at £300. If you were to find a perfect example of some reference within your budget by the time you have done your research somebody else with the knowledge and experience will have probably snagged it. When bargains do pop up from time to time they are snapped up fast!!

My advice: Or up your budget, or lower your expectations.

Jwit, ConElPueblo and blacktiger like this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 23, 2017

Great advice above

I always thought a budget was what your on, after you buy the watch........;)

Jwit and blacktiger like this.