Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 29, 2014

Thank You very much !
    While I am still alive and much handsomer, Uncle Buck was a nick-name I was given 20? years ago by a good friend, now departed.
    I didn't mind it, even though it was meant as an insult, because I think I have similar strengths and weaknesses as the character.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words.

2. panamavin Jul 29, 2014

Thanks for the welcome! Guess I should introduce myself now... I'm Vin and I'm an addict. When I got started I didn't like Omega that much. I'll put on the fire suit now and continue. But then after taking the red pill I realized Omega was home for me and the illusion was over. I'm about to be at 3 Omegas... The 8500 PO XL, Speedy Pro, and the AT Skyfall is in! This is a friendly bunch and I feel at home in this crowd. Now I feel better... Acknowledging my addiction is so healthy:D[​IMG]

My skyfall sandwich!

3. Icaras Aug 1, 2014

Hi!

A young WIS from Sweden. Been hanging around on different watch forums the last two years or so. Started off with an Genéve Dynamic (got an old thread on the forums about that), a couple of months later I bought a Seamaster Automatic from a friend of mine. And... after that I needed a "beater" so I bought a Citizen Aqualand (C022) which I thought and still think is a cool watch at the price point... you all know how the story goes ;)

Currently hunting a Speedmaster 145.022 with the stepped dial. Unfortunaly most of them is either missing the bracelet or the price isn't fair compared to the condition. If anyone has one and thinking about selling it, I'd be happy if you let me know!

Thats about it, here comes pictures of my current setup :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Was looking better in the phone :thumbsdown:)

[​IMG]

Niklas

gummo likes this.
  4. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 1, 2014

Welcome young Niklas, nice collection you have there :thumbsup:

Icaras likes this.
  5. Time+Tide Aug 6, 2014

Hi All,

This is David from Time+Tide (http://timeandtidewatches.com), a new Australian watch website that we launched back in April. The editorial team consists of Andrew, who is Watches Editor of GQ Australia (amongst other things) and Felix, who runs his own website and is a contributor for Hodinkee. I'll write the occasional article, but my focus will be on Calibre11.com which I have run for the last 5 years and helping on the business side with Time+Tide.

Thanks to Trev and Ash for allowing us to be part of ΩF.

dc

6. Mandy Aug 7, 2014

Hello, I've been pointed in your direction from another forum I'm a Member of, to ask your expert advice if I may? :)

My Dad has recently passed away and I have his gold Omega watch now in my possession, which I know very little about.

7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 7, 2014

Welcome Mandy, post a few pictures and if possible one of the movement and we shall see what information we can provide.

Mandy likes this.
  8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 7, 2014

Big OF welcome to all our new Hoffs and PeeWees!

Heh heh.

9. Mandy Aug 7, 2014

10. M.D. Aug 10, 2014

Hey everyone!

My name is Michael and I'm located in the NYC area. I've been on the forum for a short time now and finally found a moment to snap a quick photo for the introductions thread. Below is my current collection. A Luminox for the pool, my Speedy Pro which started my interest in Omega, a Dueber Hampden pocket watch (a gift from my uncle; I grew up near Canton, OH which is where the original factory was located), a Flightmaster 910 (a recent purchase which will be off to the spa soon) and a Memomatic.

Thanks for making the forum such a welcoming place!

20140810_142254.jpg

11. Crow Aug 11, 2014

Hello Gentlemen,

From France, I've been on the forum for months without joining it. I'm into watches since 2009 starting with a gift from my girlfriend a Tissot PRC200 quartz. A Hamilton Khaki chrono SE and then a Steinhart Flieger follow in 2010. The next year a Glycine Airman Base 22 Purist came for my birthday and my first grail watch : the Omega Planet Ocean 2500.
    2012 sees a Stowa Flieger baumuster B and an Omega Speedmaster 3570 coming.

Since that, the Steinhart Flieger leaves making a friend of mine happy (The Steinhart was a bit too big for my wrist), but no incomes in my collection. The AT Skyfall is probably my next one, we'll see...

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Icaras likes this.
  12. panamavin Aug 11, 2014

Jump on the skyfall bandwagon....we are a happy group! You can see my skyfall sandwich above....Cheers and welcome!

13. Crow Aug 11, 2014

I'll do ;)

14. omegabarmy Aug 11, 2014

Hi folks,
    I've been collecting watches (including Omega) for years now. My current Omega is in the course of reconstruction and service ( a 1960 cal 267 ). the innards just needed a good clean, lube and set up but the dial needs some TLC. I have converted both my good lady and my daughter in law to the Omega mechanicals and it lightens my heart to see them getting "wound up"!
    Here's the tatty dial before the treatment:-
    [​IMG]
    I'm in the process of looking at dial refurbs. I was tempted to wear it "as is" but I just can't!
    More pics as the work progresses.
    Mike

gummo likes this.
  15. gummo Aug 12, 2014

Hi!
    I´m middleaged man from Sweden. After selling my SMP300 that I´ve had for more than 15years I´ve got in to buying vintage watches. I´ve got a couple of chronos and pair of divers. This is my first vintage Omega with leatherstraps I´ve made on my summer vacation. Got It on a garage sale:)
    image (2).jpg
    Thanks for a inspiring forum!

marturx likes this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 12, 2014

Welcome mate and nice straps

gummo likes this.
  17. davidswiss Aug 12, 2014

Davidswiss
    I've been a member for a few weeks now and didn't really notice this thread so my apologies for the lack of an introduction. Here goes.
    I'm a retired telecoms tech. and started collecting when living in Vienna about 16yrs ago. I'm wearing the first watch I bought, a gold IWC cal. 89 with a "well used" dial and shark fin lugs, now. Since then I've collected mainly Omega, though I also have a couple more IWC, three Rolex (though one is for sale), two lecoultre and very nice Smiths WWW. I've not got a real favourite, but an almost unused cal.561 constellation pie pan, the speedmasters and this IWC are close to it. And the Smiths and the MK11 and the Yacht club, well you know what I mean.
    I've enjoyed the good banter and the excellent information that one gets from the various discussions and advice given. I've also been very tempted by some of the watches in the "for sale" area, though I don't buy so much now. Any way, that's me. Hello all.

18. destroid Aug 22, 2014

I started looking seriously at watches when some fellow car forum members posted some great examples they owned.

I have now moved up from Swiss analog quartz and an inherited mechanical. (Note the nice sunburst brushed black dial on the Swiss Army. Also note the sweet Peacocks and patina on the blued hands of the Elgin)

Swiss1.jpg

Just got this preowned Omega Aqua Terra >15,000 Gauss - the most advanced Swiss mechanical watch available:

Swiss2.jpg

This is actally the watch that got me into Omegas. Once I read and understood the advances of the Co-axial, Si14 balance spring, and the anti-magnetic 1.5 Tesla 8500 class movement I had to get one.

I tried one on at a boutique to make sure it fit my 175mm (6.9") wrist. The teak dial has a nice sunburst under some lighting and the yellow makes it pop. Maybe I like the "Bumblebee" since I grew up on the Transformers and movies like this:

[​IMG]

Thanks all for the huge amount of information and advice on this site.

19. abritdownunder Aug 23, 2014

Hello,

I'm Kevin, from the UK originally but living in Western Australia at the moment. I'm new to the forum but been an Omega fan for a long time. I've still got my first Omega, given to me by my dad in about 1976. I have a slowly growing collection of watches, will get some more photos to share soon, and fountain pens (I love fountain pens too!) My taste in watches is mainly for Omega but I also like Rolex, Tag, as well as Rotary, Citizen and Tissot. The star of my collection is a still working Commodore LED watch from circa 1975 (bought brand new!)

I'm looking forward to learning more about Omega, and watches in general, and to getting to know other enthusiasts of Omegaology.

Thanks,

Kevin
    P8240012.JPG
    P8240011.JPG

dsio likes this.
  20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2014

Hi and welcome Kevin