Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. yande Aug 27, 2014

OK, here I am, there's no turning back now... No more WUS for me, and now, an hour or so later, I'm happy with the shift.

Yep, finally ousted, though not really given the reason why.. I figure I know what it was that saw me pushed over the edge.. Permanently.

Perhaps the only negative is that I had a great little "Omega Watch Box' turnover happening there on the Sales Thread, but... I can pick that up here also.

Again tonight I watched that "Hitler - Banned from WUS" video.

DMB was banned about a month or more before I joined WUS, How relevant that video is for me. That F'ing Cafe!! I chased up many of DMB's posts, I liked his style, (well, "the skirt" that is, his wife, did have a certain charm, but..!) Where's that smiley when I need it. I'll learn I'm sure! I chased up a lot of other WUS members that were outed at that time. I just wish I had the foresight some had, Changing up their signatures.??? I remember reading that Dennis.. Thinking WTF?? Well done...

I have always believed that "every adversity in life has the seed for a greater or equal benefit!!" Here Here!

I really want to take this opportunity to thank Simon - username "EDIT" for his PM to me today. I won't paste all the contents apart from...

"mark, just want to say that i wish I had had the balls to post what you did . what a pathetic action by some mod .............
    ................the forum's not much fun to be around anymore so I for one won't be contributing anymore. have you tried "the omega forum"? A much nicer place to discuss watches. regards simon. p.s always enjoyed your posts even if I didn't always agree with you."

Nothing like some honesty, and more the respect for saying so. You really made my day / week Simon. Thanks mate, for you could not imagine how much your words meant to me, especially at that time. Appreciated!!

I read Simon's PM, clicked a link, found out I was banned, and as you can imagine, Simon's PM just made me feel all that more right, satisfied. I put it out there!

Horologically, my favourite saying, belief, is, that no two collections of 3 or more watches are the same. So what one loves, another loves differently. There are no rights, no wrongs, well, apart from fakes,, and very rare pieces, now that's right, but generally, you get the drift I'm sure. Watch collecting is one of the most personally motivated collections I can think of.

Watch wise, things have been pretty quiet these past 12 months, ever since we bought our new house.. It's over 12 months since I have bought a watch, though I do have a few I want to sell, namely a couple of Sinns.. Haven't worn my flightmaster this year, then there is my Heuer Autavia MH11630 and Heuer Pasadena.. Just not getting the love they should.... But, at this stage, I think I'd prefer to own the watches, rather than the pieces of paper. Gosh, it's not even that anymore, it's just a number that some bank holds. Funny I have never felt the love of holding money that I have felt by holding a watch. I once held $6 Million in cash, but then again, the $15 million in Pearls that I held, now that was something exciting!

Some watch pics.. ok..

Who's got the keen eye...?
    [​IMG]

Something a little more anal..
    The Blue Seamaster 2531.80 and the Speedmaster 3510.50 have been sold.. The rest I still own. Love the Hummer, top right. Also Mark II, Mark 4.5. My wife;s 2262.50, go so well with my 2254.50. I love wearing matching watches, especially for occasions.

[​IMG]

My Argentinian Air Force Heuer Autavia MH11630 (Stated to have seen actual flight time during the Maldives (Falklands) conflict.. Image that! I've the original Bezel put aside, but it will be going back on asap. Show me the bezel and I will tell you about the Heuer, or something like that. Why i changed it, well, perhaps the same reason I had the hands re lumed... Eager and a NOOB, what ever the latter really means. I didn't know better, in my own words. I do now, thanks to the likes of you..

Heuer Autavia 11630MH_IMG_4221.JPG

Argentinian Air Force inscription..
    Heuer Autavia 11630MH_IMG_4211.JPG

This is MY Heuer (no name) Pasadena 750.501 (Sellers pic was just so much better than mine..) How that for a 40+ year PVD Coating?

IMG_9997.JPG

My little bit of indulgence... PAM 005

IMG_0572.JPG

One of my favorites. Gifted to me by my wife, who happens to be Chinese..
    1963 Re-edition Seagull Chinese Air Force Chronograph. (This pic taken by my friend Rudi) Very Sweet.

Seagull 1963 AF Re Issue_RUDI_MG_4172-2.jpg

So, apart from a couple of Tag Heuers, well, this one is the first real watch I bought.. Really? I hear you asking. A Quartz Tag.? Yep, coming from where I did, this was the first real watch I bought. Well there was that mechanical chronograph that I paid $120.00 for in 1977, name began with a Z.??? I've thought about it, and I really can't or do not want to remember what that Brand name was. Could it have been a Zenith?? Regardless, I know I have been a WIS for many a year before i arrived here..

This is the watch that kicked my WISdom off, some many decades later..

Tag Heuer 1500 2 Tone_IMG_0888.JPG

Below is perhaps my greatest horological achievement.

I'd sent my (2254.50) watch in to have the Second hand replaced as the tip had faded. I supplied the second hand. 3 months later it came back, whereas previous it ran near COSC, it was near 1 minute slow per day. I sent it back.. Perhaps 4 months later I got it back, (I exaggerate not) and wearing it perhaps the third time, it just stopped. I gave it a shake on my wrist and heard clunk clunk clunk. It was still under "stated" warranty, but this saga had not been as long as my Omega flightmaster Cal 911 that I sent to the same watch repairer! So I'm thinking of cutting my losses and sending it to someone else to have my watch fixed.

A month or more later, after much, much thought and visualisation, I was pretty sure what the problem was.. A loose screw. I carefully removed the back, which fortunately came off easily, as it should, with no scratches. Holding the watch carefully, (I was over carpet) I removed the back, and the iron cover (farraday cage) and there it was, a tiny screw, and then, a movement mount.

[​IMG]

Re-installed, resealed, and the watch is on my wrist tonight, as it has been for the past 2 to 3 weeks! I was rapt! I believe the 2254.50, to be the most beautiful SMP, due to its no nonsense simpleness. Hence it has been on my wrist for 2 or more weeks! That's saying something.

IMG_9931 cropped.jpg

But that is about the limit of my watch making expertise, apart from strap and bracelet adjustments. Oh, I did re install a misplaced Chrono stopper circlip on my 1963 Seagull.

So that's me. My watches, my experience.

Personally, I'm still Floggin Me Nuts for a living. My wife and I travel to China every February, or there about, for a month of excitement, culture and food!

My goal of my membership here is not to be so sensitive. think twice before I post anything, relax, have a laugh, and attempt to contribute, at least 25% of what i get to take out. I've some great acquaintances here, and lets hope those friendships grow.

Regards, and I'm not apologising for the long post, for I felt it was owed.

Pics all back now...

2. NigelH Sep 1, 2014

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 1, 2014

Welcome to the madness, Nigel !

Cool watch, great pix for your first post.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 1, 2014

Very nice... you picked well for your first! It is indeed a reference 145.022. Wear it in good health!

5. Dablitzer Sep 1, 2014

Beautiful classic! Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll fit right in! :)

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 1, 2014

Hi Nigel and welcome, I'm from the Kentish boarders with London. Do you have any spare links for the bracelet? It looks like it needs a couple added. Of course, if you're a Gillingham supporter, it could just be a result of their pies. ;)

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 2, 2014

Welcome Nigel, very nice Speedie.

I hope Stewart and his other Kentish boarder mates don't scare you off.

(spelling joke;))

After a while cruising this forum your tastes will expand.

Get your wallet ready :D

8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Sep 4, 2014

Hi y'all.

Have been casting about for a nice watch forum so as to add to both enjoyment and understanding of collecting vintage watches. This one looks just right featuring brands I admire and would wish to collect.

A number of watches live around here with a collection of both trash and some few treasures. The favorite brands are Longines, Omega, IWC, and Zenith, in that order I suppose. Other brands are on hand too, collected on a whim. Glycine is one of those with four having been gathered in. The 1945-1970 time period is most esteemed with styles and models from the late '40s to about 1960 being particularly admired. Not a whole lot of careful thought was put into some watch acquisitions over the years so some of the watches are "barkin' dogs," redials, maybe even franken-watches. I can learn though.

Amateur photos have been collected of some watches and can be shared in future. I won't have much time to participate in the forum until later in the fall as we're about to be away on vacation for a few weeks. Who knows; perhaps a watch find will turn up while on the trip.

Other hobbies include reading and collecting antiquarian books, shooting sports and firearms collecting, and coin collecting. Oh, forgot an ongoing effort to collect all the different 20th century Gillette double-edge razor models. Love music, both playing instruments and listening. Classic rock and classical vie for playing time around the house here and the stereo is on far more than the television.

I'm grateful this forum is provided and appreciate reading all the forum thread participation.

9. Mothra Sep 5, 2014

Welcome to the forum and we definitely look forward to seeing the collection - the more barking the better. I love finding watch places to browse while away - never found anything to buy yet but I'm sure it will happen at some point. Meanwhile other members seem to randomly find deluxe constellations or 321 Speedmaster hanging from fenceposts as they walkabout... May you fond yourself in the latter category while on hols.

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 5, 2014

Welcome to the OF. As a new member from Texas you are required to send some Salt Lick Bar-B-Que to the moderators twice a year. We will send you details as the prescribed dates approach.

Salt-Lick.jpg

11. jopex Sep 5, 2014

Hi guys (and gals),

I am a new member here though I've been a member of the WUS (and some local watch forums) for a while now. I literally just registered and will take some time to go through the forum structure, rules and topics.

I've been interested in dive watches for a while now. My first 'nicer' watch was 2264.50 smp and it's one of the very few that I never thought about flipping. Design perfection to my eyes. Recently I picked up 2500 PO and it started Omega crave inside me so one thing led to another and I picked up 3570.50 Speedy Pro. I'm not a big chrono fan but I'm thrilled with it so far. Somehow it feels just right on the wrist, if you know what I mean. :)

[​IMG]

Other than these three I also currently own Seiko Tuna and trusty G Shock Riseman as a beater.

So hello from Croatia for now. :) I'm looking forward to future discussions.

Hexicon likes this.
  12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 5, 2014

Welcome! You've got a very nice herd!

13. Hijak Sep 5, 2014

Welcome Jopex! Very nice heard indeed.:thumbsup: You'll fit in nicely here.

14. speedbird Sep 5, 2014

Love to see some photos here too

15. jopex Sep 5, 2014

Thanks for the welcome and thanks to the mods for moving/merging the thread. Somehow I missed this introductions thread. :D

16. Fretworker Sep 16, 2014

Hello all, my name is Martin. I've been hovering around the edges for some time, never sure if I have anything useful to contribute in view of this massive fount of expertise, erudition and sarcasm - it's all covered here and it's a real pleasure to read, but I'll take the plunge. I'm in the UK, Cheshire and a retired lawyer. My first decent watch was an Omega Geneve that I bought in 1973 for my 21st birthday - it was the cheapest model and all I could afford then as a student. SInce then I've added a Rolex OPD, a piepan Constellation, a mid 50s "date at 6" Seamaster, a Seamaster SMP, a Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso and I guess if I continue to visit I just have to get a Speedmaster. Thank you to all of the contributors of this most enlightening and entertaining forum.

17. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 16, 2014

Welcome! Sounds as though got some very nice watches in your stable already.

You will find plenty of watch-addict enabling here on OF, and not just for Speedmasters or only Omega for that matter.

18. Fretworker Sep 16, 2014

Thanks for the reply, I referred to the expertise, erudition and sarcasm here - I overlooked mentioning the courtesy

19. Mothra Sep 16, 2014

Would love to see pictures of some of those.... welcome.

20. Fretworker Sep 17, 2014

Thanks Mothra, kind of you