Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2012

I would not let them touch that dial and perhaps not the hands either. Chances are the refinished dial will not resemble the old and even if it does, it could seriously effect the value of the watch. Do you have any pictures?

2. Parsley Sep 21, 2012

Hi. Thanks for the welcome and reply. My "friends" will not be joining me!!!! If you remember a kids programme many years ago it featured a "friendly little lion" - work it out!! As to photographs, I will post them when the watch is returned. Just hope that what I'm laying out is going to be worthwhile!!

3. Parsley Sep 21, 2012

Oh $hit - wish I'd seen that reply re the dial sooner. Now I'm getting a little paranoid!! What I will do tho' is to ask for the "old" parts to be returned with the watch.

4. rbird7282 Sep 21, 2012

::facepalm2::

5. rbird7282 Sep 21, 2012

I only have one friend that is into watches and he's the one that got me started. I've told him about this forum several times but he seems to think he'll spend too much on watches, which of course is not my problem. He's got about 25 watches, so I've got some work to do to catch him.
    He should just come to The Dark Side and be done with it.

6. MarkJnK Sep 24, 2012

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

dsio likes this.
  7. imt58 Sep 24, 2012

Look at this one!
    http://omegaforums.net/posts/20660/

Welcome aboard. It took me ages to get started. The top guys on here have immense knowledge. They've saved me from a local watchmaker dealer offering a 1958 that turned out to be an early 70's, e-bay dealers purporting to be the real deal, likewise 'renowned' internet dealers offering 'original' bastardisations. Eventually I was steered to a great 56 Seamaster of which I am the new proud owner and eventually the confidence to buy a 78 gold dress watch.

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 27, 2012

Hi all
    While I've been giving my 2 cents for a while, I thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Daniel, live in Canberra, Australia. I'm a public servant (no surprise there for Canberra), married, with a 1 year old daughter. At the moment, I've taken 4 months leave, to be a stay at home dad, so my wife can go back to work full time, before she drops down to part time next year.

Apart from watches, my other passions are politics, wine and cooking.

I got my first good watch in 2008, with my first bonus, a Seamaster 2849. I bought it from a bricks and mortar place in Melbourne and have since discovered a) I overpaid, b) it has a replacement dial. :(

I'd often thought about buying another piece but never did anything about it, thinking it was too expensive (based on a few bricks and mortar retailer prices). What drew me into the forums was a desire to get a beads of rice bracelet for that 2849, and well, I got suckered!

In the last few months, I've now bought:
    A) Seamster 2757, with a bump cal 355. Original black dial
    B) Omega 2328, with a square/rectangle cal R17.8
    C) and of course this one http://omegaforums.net/threads/my-september-arrival.1896/

While I have promised the Missus that I won't buy anything more this year, my wish list at the moment is:
    1) a birth year Speedy Pro (1981)
    2) a arrow head Connie pie pan
    3) a C shape case, but not fussed between Connies and the Geneves I have seen in this shape.

What else are people interested to know?
    Daniel

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2012

What part of the public service just out of interest?

10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 27, 2012

The Department of The Prime Minister and Cabinet.

Note, I am a public servant, working for whomever the PM of the day is, not a political staffer!

But I've also worked in a range of other departments, including on the free set top box program for pensioners, but my main interest is health policy.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2012

So, just out of curiosity, were you the one that leaked this?

12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 27, 2012

Ha!
    It has been confirmed that the Department had no role in filming that, and was never on the departmental computer systems, so the leak couldn't have come from the department.

I've worked for both sides of politics, and my passion - above health policy for sure - is good government. I am at the PM's department and not the health department, because I enjoy government and policy for the sake of it. As such, I am a VERY strong believer in the apolitical nature of the public service.

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 27, 2012

Oh and I should have added, I will be up in the sunshine state for the long weekend, for a friend's wedding in Emu Park.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2012

Man Ive never even heard of Emu Park lol, my dad actually spends a bit of time in Canberra working with DEEWR from the private sector side, offering advice and consultation, he's been working with the same program heads in that shop since the Howard years and there really isn't much that changes.

15. Amarok Sep 29, 2012

Hi I'm Richard. I live in Cape Town South Africa and am very new to Omega. I have been considering purchasing a new watch for while now and finally decided on the Speedmaster Date which was delivered on Thursday 27th. While reading up on the Internet about Omega I spotted this forum I thought I would join up as the members seem to be very knowledgable about Omega watches and are covering some interesting topics.

dsio likes this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 29, 2012

Hey welcome Richard, which Speedy Date model is it?

17. Amarok Sep 29, 2012

The model is a3210.50.00 with a 1164 movement.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 29, 2012

Ah cool, Valjoux 7750 base movement, same movement in my 2225.80 Seamaster Pro Chronograph, they're an extremely solid piece of steel, ridiculously strong

19. ulackfocus Sep 29, 2012

Nice watch. It has an 1164, based on a Valjoux 7750 which is a solid performer. :thumbsup:

20. Amarok Sep 29, 2012

1644 should read 1164 - typo error