Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. ulackfocus Sep 29, 2012

S'alright, no worries. I'm a typochondriac myself and frequently have to edit my posts after rereading them.

2. MKelley Oct 2, 2012

Hi all,

I'm Mike, from So. California, retired Appeals Officer (IRS). Started collecting watches about 5 yrs ago, with Tag Chronographs. Since retiring, I've ventured into entry level Blancpain. Began vintage collecting after joining several online forums. My first vintage was Rolex Oyster Perpetual. Now with assistance of many members from this forum, I have begun to learn about and collect vintage Omega.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 5, 2012

So just out of interest... when you order your vintage Omegas off eBay interstate, do you pay the use tax or whatever it is when it gets to you? ;)

4. MKelley Oct 5, 2012

Yikes, I've been outed:eek: Just kidding:p To answer your question, when the seller is also in Calif., some seller charge the prevailing sales tax, which could be 7.75% - 8.25%, depending on where you live. Mine is 7.75%. Some Calif sellers don't charge the buyer sales tax. According to Calif. Income Tax Law, if the seller doesn't charge sales tax the buyer is supposed police themselves, keeping record of their Ebay purchases, compute, report and pay the prevailing sales tax as a use tax on their tax return. At this point, I have not heard that the state taxing agency is cracking down on this. Truth is, I suspect not many actually police themselves. As for me, I'm a 35 yr., retired Federal bureaucrat, trained to uphold all tax laws. So, what do you think...does he or doesn't he?:whistling:

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 5, 2012

Well I guess if you got caught... you could always appeal ;)

6. MKelley Oct 5, 2012

Exactly, my good man:thumbsup:

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 6, 2012

And you wonder why America is going through a budget crisis!

8. ulackfocus Oct 6, 2012

Americans have always hated taxes. It's one of the reasons this country fought for independence. Throw a ton of tea off a freighter into the harbor.... fail to report a few out of state purchases..... that's how we roll. :p

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 6, 2012

And besides, we don't have a VAT or national sales tax, so this does not directly enter into the Federal budget deficit. But lets not end up getting into politics here. ;)

10. MKelley Oct 6, 2012

Whew, almost afraid to open the front door:rolleyes: ...except of course if I'm expecting an addition to the collection.

11. Mothra Oct 12, 2012

So here goes - been watching the forum like a hawk for a few weeks, but didn't look at the modern section for a while so missed the introduction thread.

I'm Stuart - I'm a technical software sales person based in reading, near London, in the UK. I'm happily married with a 5 year old future inheritor of my collection, which consists of only a couple of vintage omegas. However, I'm already starting to think the 6 watch collectors case I asked for for Christmas may have been a mistake... My route to vintage watches has been circuitous...

I tend to blaze through hobbies with a new one coming along every couple of years, burning like a star then slowly settling down to a gentle glow. I've qualified as a Ski instructor, am a senior Scuba Instructor Instructor (double word is deliberate there) and have studied at night school for additional degrees and A levels in things like marketing.

A couple of years back I broke my back while fitting a new loft hatch. I was immobilised in a metal frame for six weeks, then slowly rehabilitating (still in metal frame) for a further six weeks. I knew I would go nuts lying in bed watching day time TV for six weeks, so I needed a project - I decided to plan a trip to India to buy a Royal Enfield Motorcycle, then ride it home. There was quite a lot of theoretical planning required, but one thing leapt out - Royal Enfields break down all the time and I didn't know much about fixing bikes. I decided the best way to learn was to restore one - and this bought me another week or so while I worked out what to restore. I settled on a 78 Kawasaki z650, which took twelve months to restore, was really enjoyable but expensive - and I now have a showroom condition motorcycle I could never sell taking up a huge amount of space in my garage.

I wanted to do more of something similar so I looked at watchmaking. I signed up for the Timezone course, and fairly promptly broke the sample watch they send you. I was spending enough on tools so looked around for cheap, not terribly desirable watches to practice on. I've settled on Smiths Empires (loads around, can be picked up for a pittance) and have managed to completely dismantle one - I'm still trying to put it back together.

I wear a 57 broadarrow reissue - Omega is the most attractive brand to me - and I couldn't help but notice some really desireable vintage watches. Then I saw a vintage pie pan (probably on Desmonds site) and I was smitten. When I found my first watch fair I was in trouble - I talked myself out of buying a 564 pie pan, then beat myself up for not going for it until I bought the exact same watch at the next fair.

I'm starting from a position of complete ignorance, and originally only wanted something which looked pretty on the wrist - I intend to wear these puppies - but slowly but surely I'm being sucked into wanting it to be right as well. I've always had the viewpoint 'so long as I don't KNOW something is, lets say, a redial, I'm happy' - but as I pick up more knowledge and get better at spotting stuff I'm starting to become a little more discerning.

Thanks in advance for all the learning you guys are going to give me over the next few years - good luck with the collecting. This site has more of a community feel and more gracious sharing than anything else I've seen out there. I'm pleased to be talking with you all.

MKelley likes this.
  12. MKelley Oct 12, 2012

Welcome, being fairly new to the forum myself, I can tell you, you'll find it informative and fun. Those in the know are very kind to share their knowledge and expertise, which I've learned could take a very long time, depending on your interest and time available. I've also learned, from this forum, one can acquire the "bug" to collect vintage Omegas very quickly. Pretty soon after, you my find yourself being declared an "Omega Addict", it's up to you. Again, welcome and enjoy your time on what I think is the best watch forum on the internet.:thumbsup:

13. imt58 Oct 12, 2012

Beware that Kwak could be at risk! I've a classic 1982 BMW and a modern one. I have been taken hook line and sinker so one of my bikes is now at risk!

I am also relatively new to the forum. These guys are immense and have saved me from 'poor' watches. They also have lots of patience although this dwindles from certain members when they think you have settled in. Their bark is worse than their bite though! (You know who you are :p).

Welcome aboard.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2012

Welcome new guys, we're glad to have you!

15. ulackfocus Oct 12, 2012

We bust balls, especially me. :D Your free pass expires after a month.

imt58 likes this.
  16. MKelley Oct 12, 2012

So noted:whistling:

17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 14, 2012

Hi,
    I am Herianto, currrently living in Jakarta, Indonesia. Just got watch collecting bug recently, and leaning toward Omega.
    I have one Constellation and one Seamaster GMT. Speedmaster moonwatch would be my next purchase. However I have weak spot for Constellation so I plan to complete the series ( tall order with my restrained budget ...:)). Connie Manhattan, Double Eagles and the vintages would be in the list. This forum is GREAT source to learn all about Omega watch and knowing Omega fans all over the world.

Looking forward to discussing with you all......

Cheers

Here is my collection (sorry for the low quality pic........need to learn better photography)

My collection.jpg

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 14, 2012

Nice set of watches, and welcome Herianto! We don't have too many members that have Constellation Manhattan's so its always nice to see something a little different now and then, they're a very nice watch, particularly with the Cal 2500 movement

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 14, 2012

Thank you dsio for your warm welcome. I read somewhere that Asian people loves Constellation watch, especially with claws.
    If I am not mistaken it was introduced back in 1982 for new Constellation series they called Constellation Manhattan.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 14, 2012

Very correct. Its been said by Omega that if the Constellation line (with the claws) were a watch brand in its own right, it would be the fourth biggest watch brand in the world, which shows how significant it is for Omega. Its hugely popular throughout China, HK, Japan, the Philippines Indonesia and the like.