The Flightmaster thread

Here is mine, with a story. I bought it off the local Facebook marketplace a few months ago. I got to sit down with the original owner while he told me all about his adventures getting his private pilots licence in 1974 and how his mother gave him this Flightmaster to celebrate. Unable to afford the flying hours, he never completed his commercial licence, but he flew with this watch in private planes for many years. He worked for most of his life in a huge zinc plating factory and his watch copped a proper beating. At some point it got water inside and stopped running and it got put aside. He and his wife were moving into a retirement home so it was time for the watch to go - yes, I asked if he was really sure about selling it.
I sent it off to Adam Lewis for a service and case kit (all the gaskets had melted). Adam found extensive water damage on the keyless works and setting mechanism so there were plenty of parts replaced. Although Adam does amazing case restorations on these, I elected to keep it as is, despite the many scratches and dings. Part of that reasoning was that the caseback is engraved with the owner's name and 1975. Having heard the story, I wanted to retain its history - especially since I have a photo of his pilots license to go along with it.
348789A9-2355-4479-B1AD-FDB661A3357E.jpeg A40DA940-0AFC-4800-95A8-43F132CB40D7.jpeg 211B0FB1-3731-4E73-A291-F805747A8FCF.jpeg C07E8EC0-0D18-45FD-807A-92C20D1768AF.jpeg 0C0E2EB0-B11A-4EC8-92CE-0E2312717717.jpeg

Great catch with a briliiant story and I totally agree with you - it should keep the engraving relatet to the PPL for ever. Very authentic piece. Congrats.

BR
Hans

Now I hadn't become a one watch guy, but I have worn my Flightmaster for three weeks solid since it came back from service. Getting the right bracelet sizing is critical to comfortable wearing, otherwise it can flop around and feel bigger than it needs to. Once I settled on a snug but not too tight sizing it almost disappeared on the wrist (ok, that might be taking it too far 😀
5011AE20-63CD-4C38-B9D9-4CECC6AB7148.jpeg

Hello all. I am new to this community and haven't posted here much. I want to poll the group here for an opinion to see if i get any kind of consensus.

I have a very early 1st gen cal.910. it has a solid provenance as a original owner watch, prior my getting it. This was a daily wear watch for most of its 53 year life. And boy, what a life! So, while it has never been polished and all edges are crisp, the mineral crystal is very scratched, and the case 'sunburst' pattern is very faint (present, but faint). BTW, it functions fully, and is accurate.

I know that I can have it serviced, and the case restored properly. I have read and understand all the comments about the Omega Factory service/restoration. I have spoken to a few private well reviewed (Omega Certified) restorers. But I am not sure I want to do that.

My question is based soley on maintaining its value over the long term. Conceptually, would you keep it fully untouched? Or restore? Perhaps just replace the crystal?

I will be posting pictures very soon.

your thoughts?

It’s your watch. Do what you want with ir.

The value of these is not astronomical either way. I restored mine and liked it much better afterwards. To some collectors that adds some value to others it takes it away. Done well it presents the watch as it was intended not how it became.

I’d say get it serviced and a new crystal and think what you want to do the next time it needs servicing.

Hello all. I am new to this community and haven't posted here much. I want to poll the group here for an opinion to see if i get any kind of consensus.

I have a very early 1st gen cal.910. it has a solid provenance as a original owner watch, prior my getting it. This was a daily wear watch for most of its 53 year life. And boy, what a life! So, while it has never been polished and all edges are crisp, the mineral crystal is very scratched, and the case 'sunburst' pattern is very faint (present, but faint). BTW, it functions fully, and is accurate.

I know that I can have it serviced, and the case restored properly. I have read and understand all the comments about the Omega Factory service/restoration. I have spoken to a few private well reviewed (Omega Certified) restorers. But I am not sure I want to do that.

My question is based soley on maintaining its value over the long term. Conceptually, would you keep it fully untouched? Or restore? Perhaps just replace the crystal?

I will be posting pictures very soon.

your thoughts?

It is hard to find unrestored examples, and most of those I have seen on line are not very good. I would replace the crystal, have the movement serviced, and ask the watchmaker (a good local one, not Omega) to freshen the case without renewing the brushed surface.

Alternatively, you could try freshening it yourself: you carefully run OOO steel wool along the direction of the brushing, which will reduce small scuff marks more than you might expect.

If you feel confident, pick out the more noticeable scuff marks and scratches, and very carefully run a piece of 800 wet and dry along the direction of the brushing. You will not remove them, but you will be surprised how much their visual impact is reduced.

The best thing about trying it yourself is that you are totally in control of how far you want to go. We see reported on OF regularly cases of instructions to watchmakers being disregarded, and once a case is fully restored there is no going back.

I have done this freshening up with a Flightmaster 911. I was pleased with the results: there are still small indents and scratches - the watch clearly had been worn for years - but I like it showing its age, rather than looking factory new.

IMG_0416.JPG IMG_1169.JPG

@NLS, entirely up to you and your priorities. I spent a while thinking about this with mine. It had some things that clearly needed addressing - a badly scratched crystal and melted gaskets inside the crowns and pushers that no longer kept out moisture so required replacement. When it came to case work I considered a full refinish after seeing the great work with them that Adam Lewis does. However, I decided the history that comes with the watch was more important to me than a pristine case. I haven't regretted that decision. I also feel that I would have been uncomfortable wearing a freshly refinished case. With all of its bumps and scrapes I don't need to worry about giving mine a few more.

Are you sure that red box matches with the watch? Enjoy it.

Well it's obviously not a Flightmaster box, but knowing something of the watches provenance and considering that the watch box, receipt and Omega papers all carry the 'Herbers en Jenniskens' name I have good reason to believe that this set has been together since originally sold in '76.

Omega Flightmaster ref. 145.026, cal. 911 from 1971/72 1f642.png

IMG_3351.JPG

First post here.

My current watch collection is a Rolex Explorer and a JLC Reverso Grande Date. Both took me years to buy as I enjoy taking a lot of time to reflect on what I want in watches - brand, type, model, etc. - and am particularly interested in watches with a history to it and not necessarily the most obvious / popular models.

For some time I have now been considering adding a chronograph. I was thinking of a Breguet Type XX for a while, recently got excited by the new Rolex Daytona (but don't want more than one watch per brand in my collection) and have started to really warm up to the Omega flightmaster more recently incl. by looking through this thread. Really like the design, how technology advanced it was, the 1970's vibe, etc. and that it's not too popular.

I will buy the Flightmaster Only book for Xmas so I can assess which specific type I'd like to acquire and will then start to hunt to get mine. I am curious, aside from Chrono24 / ebay / dealers, are there any specific places to look for a high quality flightmaster (i'd like to get one in very good condition, with box/paperwork, all original parts). Thanks

First post here.

My current watch collection is a Rolex Explorer and a JLC Reverso Grande Date. Both took me years to buy as I enjoy taking a lot of time to reflect on what I want in watches - brand, type, model, etc. - and am particularly interested in watches with a history to it and not necessarily the most obvious / popular models.

For some time I have now been considering adding a chronograph. I was thinking of a Breguet Type XX for a while, recently got excited by the new Rolex Daytona (but don't want more than one watch per brand in my collection) and have started to really warm up to the Omega flightmaster more recently incl. by looking through this thread. Really like the design, how technology advanced it was, the 1970's vibe, etc. and that it's not too popular.

I will buy the Flightmaster Only book for Xmas so I can assess which specific type I'd like to acquire and will then start to hunt to get mine. I am curious, aside from Chrono24 / ebay / dealers, are there any specific places to look for a high quality flightmaster (i'd like to get one in very good condition, with box/paperwork, all original parts). Thanks

What a sensible approach. You have started with two very good watches after spending sufficient time researching them to be sure they are what you want. Aiming to have a complementary spread of different styles and functions is an excellent strategy.

As for the Flightmaster, I bought mine for much the same reasons, and I love it.

IMG_1170.JPG
And if you like a bit of history, it was a favourite of the first man to walk in space....

Soviet cosmonaut.jpg

A final word - the sort of collection you are building will look incomplete without a Speedmaster Moonwatch. You can have fun researching the range available and the prices - not that long ago I bought a beauty from 1998 in superb condition for the equivalent of $US 3200.

Happy hunting

Well it's obviously not a Flightmaster box, but knowing something of the watches provenance and considering that the watch box, receipt and Omega papers all carry the 'Herbers en Jenniskens' name I have good reason to believe that this set has been together since originally sold in '76.

No problem.

Hi all,
Just discovered this site and am happy to find similarly addict… er minded folks about.

I have a couple Omega’s (new Speedy, an Aqua Terra, a vintage Classic, and a 1971 Flightmaster) and while shopping for a Planet Ocean I decided I want the proper bracelet for the Flightmaster.

Any ideas where I can find the period bracelet online for sale?