Forums Latest Members
  1. Eldo Jan 8, 2020

Hi all; I'm new to the forum. I'm in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, and fortuitously added a Flightmaster to my collection last month. I'm still very excited about it, and actually got the "Flighmaster Only" book from my wife for Christmas as well, so have been enjoying learning all about my newest addition. From what I can tell; 145.036, thinking it's either late '73 or '74, as it still has the sunburst brushing, and has the "trapezoidal" recessed Omega symbol on the clasp. This watch was a one owner, apparently never serviced (but still working), completely original watch gifted by Air Canada to the original owner upon his completion of flight training. It does have the "chrono creep" issue with the chrono hour register, and runs a bit fast, but I'm just loving it! I'm pretty torn as to have it serviced and brought up to date, or leave it in it's original state.

+wDrDBcSQEWCOMcUsxRq+A.jpg W5Xj1zjTTb+o1XIU+PPuSA.jpg QU29+lkWSKW%s%y28knvXw.jpg t%a5HPt2SROv1BXUkD8FkQ.jpg ShrYVy9OQnuVPTwz+I+lQA.jpg rVzNKKRSQs65aL7JV0Y75Q.jpg 2xGsftQ3SaOHGJYaBO1PIA.jpg RcXqDz1qStyKFcgoLLhz6A.jpg NXdqu2X5RWilyDERn8a4WQ.jpg rALpwuh7TfSwy4MVZ9pXZQ.jpg
    Edited Jan 13, 2020
    chronoboy64, JimJupiter, kov and 4 others like this.
  2. simonsays Jan 8, 2020

I would advise you to forgo waterproof ness and keep the original crowns and pushers. The new ones are much too shiny and really spoil the look of the watch for me. A little modelling paint can bring the originals back to life.
    Avoid any polishing, when the case is as good as yours Its much better with a few dings and the original finish.
    A good movement service and a new mineral crystal is all it needs.
    Oh and if you want an original Tritium GMT hand to replace your one with missing lume PM me. I have a few spares.

kov, Yak1 and Eldo like this.
  3. ttsp52 Jan 8, 2020

I agree with simonsays lovely looking watch. I would not do any more that a movement service, new crystal and paint on the pushers .

Yak1 and Eldo like this.
  4. gefmey Jan 8, 2020

+1

Eldo likes this.
  5. Fryewerk Jan 27, 2020

It came today! Saw my first Flightmaster in person at a jewelry store a couple of weeks ago and since then have been trying to track down a better version. Got the Flightmaster Only book and checked all the bits to make sure it was looking proper. This one has been well cared for, with original face, hands, pushers, but the crystal has been replaced. Of interest is the Holzer band, which I'm considering put to rest for a bit for a leather racing style replacement, but after sizing it- this slinky Mexican metal band is very comfortable so I think I'll give it more wrist time. I'm fascinated by all the different iterations and the graceful aging that seems to be unique to each watch. delete.jpg delete2.JPG delete3.JPG

flqt-9000, brownip, yev131 and 12 others like this.
  6. Yak1 Jan 28, 2020

Gorgeous! Congrats.

Fryewerk likes this.
  7. vintage.eye Jan 29, 2020

Hello, I am searching for replacement inner black bezel for Flightmaster Mk1 Cal910 (the one for Cal911 doesn't fit). Does anyone have one they would be willing to sell?

s-l500.jpg
  8. Parmenion Jan 30, 2020

Morning all, my first post despite a long time spent reading through the forum and trying to educate myself.

I have a newly acquired Flightmaster which has an 1162 bracelet. I've tried to like it but the poor quality of the bracelet (compared to more modern offerings) and the inability to get a comfortable fit are really affecting the watch's enjoyment for me.

I've used a leather band which works well but I'd also like a metal bracelet. I know the very latest Omegas have an adjustable clasp to help get exactly the right fit and even some of the older models can be modified to accept the newer clasp, so, my question is.....

…..can anyone suggest an Omega bracelet that :

A. suits the watch
    B. has an adjustable clasp
    or
    C. can be modified to accept an adjustable clasp

A mesh bracelet is a no-go.

Grateful for any and all help.

9. simonsays Jan 30, 2020

I would say that the only bracelets that suit the watch are the 1159 and 1162. Finding one that is original and in good condition is key to it feeling of a suitable quality. The service versions feel more and more like they were made of coke can ring pulls the newer they are.

The original bracelets also suffer from stretch and bent end links which also make it feel less than the ideal companion. Once they are stretched they are for the bin(or eBay) in my opinion.

Spend some money on a good original bracelet and enjoy!

The adjustment available seems very adequate to me, I don't think many bracelets offer finer? It just cannot be adjusted on the fly quite as easily as modern offerings.

A nice replica Corfam style leather strap, or original if you can find one, also looks great.

datocompax likes this.
  10. Parmenion Jan 30, 2020

Thank you.

Do you know, by chance, how the 1162 is sized? I'm used to either friction pins or screws and I can't seem to see how links are added or removed when the bracelet has neither of these.

11. simonsays Jan 30, 2020

The early version has screws and the later friction pins(just for the last few links, maybe yours have been removed?), but for precise adjustment change the length on the clasp by changing the spring bar position. 1EB82E1B-7580-4C69-904F-977BFC8B22B7.jpeg

CJpickup57 likes this.
  12. Parmenion Jan 30, 2020

Thank you, I'll have another look.

13. Bachman Jan 31, 2020

Hey all, first-time poster here as I just recently came into the possession of an old flightmaster. I've been looking through the forum and I appreciate all of the pictures and information you guys post on here. I do have one question that hopefully you all may be able to help me out with or offer some advice. The flightmaster I have seems to be in relatively good working condition with one exception. The lower hour hand of the chronograph feature seem to be stuck between the three and six position while every other dial works perfectly. The lower pusher on the right hand side also doesn't seem to do much of anything. I think it's the chronograph reset? Have any of you experienced this type of thing before and if so how did you fix it? I have looked at the omega restoration prices and they seem quite high which has me a little worried. I can post pictures but it's just your standard 145.036 with 911 movement piece and typical wear. Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited Jan 31, 2020
  14. ttsp52 Jan 31, 2020

Hi
    It sound like it needs a service. The 861 with an add on moment are not cheap to service. If i were you i would factor the service cost in to the price of the watch. By doing this you know that its been done and can enjoy the watch.

Bachman likes this.
  15. Bachman Jan 31, 2020

Yeah, I kinda figured that might be the case. Unfortunately, I live pretty far out from any decent watch repair shops so I'll have to look into sending out someplace. I also need to do more research more on what all I should actually get replaced/repaired as it seems like sometimes that can be detrimental to the piece. Thanks for the speedy response!

16. Yak1 Feb 1, 2020

jaguar11, CJpickup57 and hanky6 like this.
  17. sonicosa Feb 1, 2020

I know next to nothing about these watches, but I stopped by a shop yesterday to try on some Junghans and they had one on the window. Felt pretty comfy on the wrist.

20553B1E-DC5E-4906-90E1-36FAD09308EF.jpeg

jaguar11 and Yak1 like this.
  18. Parmenion Feb 3, 2020

Can anyone tell me if a service replacement bracelet is likely to be the same as a NOS version?

19. gefmey Feb 3, 2020

Specifically for the flightmaster, the 1162 service bracelets have different logos and markings on the clasp. Originals have the Omega logo either completely raised, or within a trapezoid shape. They also usually have the number 11 in a circle. The service bracelets have the logo inside a square and the number 32 in a circle. Other than that they are pretty much identical. Newer bracelets also have the numbers etched rather than stamped.

20. Parmenion Feb 3, 2020

Many thanks !