Forums Latest Members
  1. biggie Feb 17, 2020

Did I just offend a globalist? You're the reason this thread got off to a difficult start when it was totally unnecessary.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  2. Dan S Feb 17, 2020

You don't know how the thread began since the initial post was heavily edited after the fact (which is fine), so maybe it would be best to just make your contribution without editorializing. Would you like to indicate the currency of the prices referenced in your post ... you know, to actually make it useful? USD, GBP, Euros? Or would you just like to continue making offensive comments? Most of us understand what "globalist" is code for these days.

NYCwatchgal and MoclovFlop like this.
  3. MPWATCH Watch Lover Feb 17, 2020

The amount profited isn't the point of knowing the discount.

Understanding where you can go without being unreasonable is what I'd like to achieve.

If you ask for a 20% discount knowing they retain 18%-20% you have the knowledge that it's doable and the sales person wants to see what they can stick. Hopefully you can use this to revisit a few weeks later and try again knowing the deal has potential.

Let's try to regain focus and share what discounts were achieved. Please include currency / location as this could be a very helpful piece of the puzzle.

4. biggie Feb 17, 2020

The deal I got was from AAFES. It's the military wal-mart ( USA ), but they do carry luxury watches from Omega as an AD. The mark everything down as a standard price, and then they have occasional sales with more discounts up to 20%. You can combine these with a 10% one time Star card purchase where applicable.

Again, it's not for everybody. And I do have an American perspective that doesn't consider the international world. My apologies. Pay your UN obligations if you want to be taken seriously.

Thrasher36 and SeeMaster like this.
  5. SeeMaster Feb 17, 2020

I also got a great deal with AAFES. But I’m wondering what the whole sell prices are. If I get 40% off on a Omega, how much profit do they get from the sell?

6. biggie Feb 17, 2020

Should I put my post in USD? @Dan S

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 17, 2020

Judging from the above and from the fact that the USA is the only country (that I know of) that calls it "sales tax", I would say that @biggie is in the USA.

To both of you...

In other words, tone it down, please. I'm asking nicely. The next time will not be so nice.
    gatorcpa

89-0, jsducote, Farmer and 4 others like this.
  8. biggie Feb 17, 2020

Yes sir, sorry I got off track there. I get fired up sometimes!

9. Jeeper Feb 20, 2020

Were these items not purchased from a military store??
    I think OP is trying to gauge discount levels that dealers receive in order to give us an idea what may be achievable/realistic & available to all.
    I think we also need to remember that these outlets still need to make profit to survive.

Jeeper

10. mjb Feb 20, 2020

Simple, really. Print out the PDF. Use a sharpie or similar dark pen to hide the details. Fax that copy to yourself and then scan it into your computer, or better yet, take a picture of it with your phone and use a secure connection to load it into the computer. Then you can save it somewhere and later attach it to the post.

Yes. I am an I/T professional. You can thank me later.

LOL

Hey, look guys and gals, all of this stuff is really cool but let's be realistic. Most of us are not in the armed services. Many of us do not routinely fly to Singapore for business. Heck, my next scheduled business trip is to Atlanta, not really known as the hotbed of international watch sales.

I have two local ADs, both parts of jewelry store chains, one national, the other local. They refuse to negotiate past a certain threshold. I know from past experience that the local chain gives the manager little flexibility, and he had to call the main office to get permission to go more than 10% on a Breitling, years ago. OK, stop laughing. I was young and naive. When I bought my SMP from the national chain, I dealt with the manager and he refused to budge past 10%. On the DSOTM he wouldn't budge past retail, and then grudgingly agreed to cover most of the sales tax, but that was it. On a $9800 watch. Gosh.

So, you may mean well telling others that 20% or better is easily done at an AD, the reality is that every region and every country is different, and there are no set rules or guidelines. All you end up doing is making that guy that paid MSRP feel bad for his purchase, and that's not nice.

ahartfie and jsducote like this.
  11. 140dave Feb 20, 2020

You have a tough AD.
    I only have one in my area, no OBs, and their discounts always depend on how long the watch is in stock. You can usually get 10-20% off after a month, after a year 30-40%. Works well when You are after a fairly standard piece, not so well for LE.

I’m in California BTW.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  12. Impgreene Feb 20, 2020

Fax machines? They still exist? Don't they need a landline telephone, heard people used to have them too ………….

13. Impgreene Feb 20, 2020

Seems to me like this thread got off to a bad start and stayed on it - I assumed that people talking about ADs and high end watches wouldn't be so upset by the name of a distant country, least still when the watches under discussion (i.e. my 2007 ones) weren't even that high end compared to a lot of the stuff on the forum (especially not when you consider what I paid for them after the discounts!) ……………. if it helps I remember them costing me a fortune relative to my income at the time ................. and nobody mentioned 'routinely' ;-)

14. SeeMaster Feb 20, 2020

15. SeeMaster Feb 20, 2020

Well I’m here to help you all out and we can get you qualified for that amazing Military discount as I happen to be a recruiter. Lol let’s go! For real! Additionally I find that talking to different people weather is an Omega OD or maybe a Rolex AD being friendly asking the right questions and giving the right answers can lead to unexpected opportunities. As for AAFES deals as of the 1st of this year they did open it up to veterans not just those serving now.

But if any one knows the whole sell price the OD pay id also like this info.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  16. Impgreene Feb 26, 2020

Struck up a conversation with the manager of an OB about the Omega he was wearing.

He told me that staff at OBs get 1 watch every 2 years that they can buy at cost - and that cost is 40% of the ticket price.

He also said they get a 'wearer', that they dont purchase straight away but can wear and then purchase at a later date - they are given a 10% discount for every year they wear the watch prior to finally purchasing it.

Such info is the benefit of being the first person into an empty store in the morning it seems.

Thrasher36, ahartfie and Nathan1967 like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 26, 2020

Just to clarify, is that "40% of" as you wrote it, or "40% off" the ticket price?

One extra "f" can make a big difference...

Cheers, Al

18. Impgreene Feb 26, 2020

"of" i.e. if the ticket price is 100 the cost is 40.

Hope this helps.

Thrasher36 and Archer like this.
  19. Impgreene Feb 26, 2020

Obviously that doesnt take into account their overheads of running the store etc., so the '60' out of the '100' isn't the profit margin, '40' is just the base cost to the OB of the watch element of their overall costs.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  20. Braindrain Feb 26, 2020

Good info. Now I understand how those discount shops in Tokyo can sell brand new Omegas at their prices.