Forums Latest Members
  1. MPWATCH Watch Lover Feb 7, 2020

Hey OF,

Wishing you all a happy Friday. Today I wanted to discuss what authorized dealers are getting their merchandise at and I figured the community would be able to piece together each brand and it's discount. I do not know if I am correct in my numbers but posted below is a starting point.

EDIT : Thank you @dan02 for the constructive criticism to improve the quality of my results. I've provided my personal experience regarding each brand and where I sourced the numbers from. I'm not confident in there accuracy but have come to learn a general range that seems some what constant on new watches.

AD Cost (Current models in production only)

Rolex -38%
    The highest discount I've ever received on a Rolex is 27%. Discrediting the over retail models, the lowest discount I've received is 7% off on limited steel ladies/oyster perpetuals. I've heard from several authorized dealers 38% is their cost.

Omega -45%
    The highest discount I've ever received on an Omega is 34% off on any non-limited model. I know the person quoting me has to be making at least 5% - 10%. I've had one AD tell me 40%. I don't really talk to many Omega AD's. Need to change that in 2020.

Breitling -40%
    The highest discount I've ever received on a Breitling is 38% off on any non-limited model. Again, I know the person quoting me has to be making at least 5% - 10%. I've never had an AD tell me a discount. I know discontinued watches get dumped at 60% all the time.

Patek Philippe 35%
    I've sold 4 brand new Patek Philippe models in my career. I mostly offer used examples. Through the watches I've quoted out I've never received more than a 22% discount. That's mostly for the high dollar dogs that the majority aren't interested in.

Cartier -40%
    The highest discount I've ever received on a Cartier is 30%. Just today I lost a sale because a customer received a 35% discount from an AD. He showed me the invoice and has been a wonderful customer of mine for several years. Not sure if the AD had a hard month or if he owned him money but my discount got crushed... It was a 2020 steel 26mm watch so I would have assumed my discount was good.

If we have any hard evidence to add to this thread it's greatly appreciated.

Best,

Thomas

Edited Feb 7, 2020
  2. Dan S Feb 7, 2020

If you're serious about having a useful thread, maybe it would be best to include only actual first-hand data. Then you can collect it as people contribute and update the first post in the thread.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. MPWATCH Watch Lover Feb 7, 2020

I'm in search of the information. Maybe you're having a hard time understanding the original post. What I provided is actual first-hand data. I've been selling watches for 6 years. This is what I loosely know. Nothing posted online is definitive which is the entire purpose of the thread.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  4. MPWATCH Watch Lover Feb 7, 2020

Additionally, my hard data means nothing since I know someone is profiting off of the discounts I'm given. I've never purchased a new model at full discount or even close....The only times I have learned the discount is through discontinued models that go past AD cost.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  5. Dan S Feb 7, 2020

Yes, I definitely "had a hard time understanding", so thanks for clarifying. When you wrote "I do not know if I am correct in my numbers", it suggested to my tiny pea-brain that you were not presenting actual first-hand data. You know ... since you didn't know if they were correct.

sdre, STANDY and connieseamaster like this.
  6. MPWATCH Watch Lover Feb 7, 2020

I'm sorry this thread is so bothersome to you. If you have any information on discounts that would be extremely helpful.

Thank you & Happy Friday

Thrasher36 likes this.
  7. Dan S Feb 7, 2020

Great thread. It was just your obnoxious response that bothered me, when I was actually trying to be helpful. Have a lovely weekend.

8. MPWATCH Watch Lover Feb 7, 2020

I apologize for coming off rude, I misunderstood your reply as well. Not my intentions at all. Thank you for the help & I'll be see what research I can drum up for this to be a tool for us all.

Thrasher36 and Dan S like this.
  9. verithingeoff Feb 7, 2020

Factual stuff I bought my Tudor Pelagos from an AD in Brisbane, all dealing done by phone. List price $6250, reduced to $4950 roughly 20%

Thrasher36, MPWATCH and Dan S like this.
  10. fat mike Feb 7, 2020

Helllo, I was wondering if in UK the AD price for a SMP is the same as on the goldsmiths? And it is possible to get an extra 20% off? Buying the watch for 3336 pounds?

Tks
    4C615C08-2689-44E4-84FF-390DDFAD53F0.png is the same as on the goldsmiths? And it is possible to get an extra 20% off? Buying the watch for 3336 pounds?

11. mjb Feb 10, 2020

I appreciate the thought and the effort, but I'm not really sure how this can be a tool for us. If my AD won't discount a watch (think Rolex) or will do no more than 10% (think Omega) then it doesn't really matter what their cost is - that's the least that they're willing to take.

By the same token, if I'm shopping gray market, then I simply look at all of the prices that I can find, and assuming comparable service/warranty etc., I go with the lower price. Again, it doesn't matter what their cost is, it's only the final number to me that counts.

Or am I missing something?

12. MPWATCH Watch Lover Feb 10, 2020

Although small, it's another piece of tedious information that gives us the understanding of what a great deal is vs a good deal. As far as the gray market is concerned, the lowest price is hardly ever the best option. (In most cases) Everything is cheap for a reason.

In conclusion, you're correct, the cost to an AD won't change what's available but it may give insight as to what retains value or is in higher demand.

Thank you for your input!

Thomas

Thrasher36 likes this.
  13. jsducote Feb 11, 2020

Your definition of "deal" appears to be predicated on whether or how little profit the seller makes, rather than the price paid. If a seller acquires a BNIB Speedmaster for $1000 and sells it to me for $2000, that is a great deal, even if the seller doubled his money.

MPWATCH likes this.
  14. Slowpoker Feb 14, 2020

From my experiences the only way to get a discount from any of these places is to walk into ome of their stores.

From Goldsmiths you probably won't get more than 10%, even that's a little high since this models popular they'll probably say 5%.

Your best option is to either go to the duty free and fly internally (often heard that this works but not 100% sure) or buy grey for that kind of discount.

fat mike likes this.
  15. lindo Feb 14, 2020

I thought I did well last year to buy a sapphire sandwich Moon Watch at 15% off from a local AD, then a Seamaster Diver a month later at 18% off from the same dealer. It was all too easy, and what this post is telling me that is that I could have tried a lot harder and done a lot better.
    Thanks for the post. I am seriously considering another visit to test how far I can get on a Planet Ocean GMT.

Thrasher36, MPWATCH and fat mike like this.
  16. Jonathan40 Feb 14, 2020

Poor seller so you should do better than 18% being a good customer. I think you should get around 25% for this model when negotiating. Good luck

Thrasher36 and lindo like this.
  17. guppydriver Feb 17, 2020

Really? Honest question that is more admiration than doubt. I travel quite a bit and am in the market for a SMP, and I have never come across an AD willing to go more than 20%, I’m probably just a crappy negotiator because I’m non confrontational. I got the Honolulu boutique to offer me 5 grand out the door with two nato straps and I felt good. Otherwise, $4400-4600 for a bracelet SMP ($5200 retail) is about the norm I get quoted. 25% off would be $3900, I feel like I would be laughed at with that offer, but some people say they routinely get 25-30% off.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  18. biggie Feb 17, 2020

Despite the awkward and possibly unnecessary beginning to this thread, it's a topic I'm extremely interested in. To speak for hard evidence, I was able to take advantage of a standard discount off of MSRP, and added 30% without paying sales tax. This isn't an everyday opportunity, and I'm copying from another thread I created but I will share the hard evidence.

210.30.42.20.03.001 is the first. No tax, cost out the door 3k.
    311.30.42.30.01.005 is the second. Again, no tax, cost out the door 3.3k.

These were purchased from an AD. These discounts are lower than anything else I was able to find online for a new purchase from an AD. Maybe you can do better if you have a relationship and history wtih a local AD.

Thrasher36 and MPWATCH like this.
  19. fat mike Feb 17, 2020

Amazig prices!! WHere is this AD?

MPWATCH likes this.
  20. Dan S Feb 17, 2020

Let's be explicit about the currency (and perhaps location) when mentioning actual prices. This is a highly international forum, based in Australia, but with many members in every other part of the world.