Forums Latest Members
  1. chunkythebulldog Feb 22, 2020

Bit of background

Over the past 4 years I've shopped with the same AD for the majority of my watches and picked up about 12 watches from them. Watches varied in price from Tudors up to Patek. In addition I've bought rings and various bits of jewellery for my wife plus passed their name on to friends, family and work colleagues who have subsequently purchsed from them. This AD isn't the closest to my house by a long way but have always enjoyed shopping there

In January they started stocking a new brand and I enquired about a particular watch. The Managers response was this is a boutique only piece (it isn't) and I can't give you a penny discount. Fair enough I'll leave it.

Today I called in to a shop I've bought AP's from in the past (other AD doesn't stock AP) and they had the same watch in. Tried it on, still liked it and asked for their best price. He came back with a £6000.00 discount plus a free strap.

Now on a scale of 1 - 10 how pissed off would you be with your main AD bearing in mind I've spent a vast amount of money with them and stayed very loyal.

2. Walrus Feb 22, 2020

You should let your regular place know, sounds very uncool

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 22, 2020

I’d have a chat with them.

chunkythebulldog and Thrasher36 like this.
  4. Evose Feb 22, 2020

Sounds like you need a new AD. Assuming you’ve spent the money you’re suggesting, they should be rewarding your loyalty. I would voice my concerns and find another place.

Thrasher36 and MTROIS like this.
  5. Om3ga321 Feb 22, 2020

Petervl and chunkythebulldog like this.
  6. Braindrain Feb 22, 2020

Yes, let them know you've bought from somewhere else. They will obviously not care or else they would've offered a discount in the first place. However, know if you ever need to buy anything else from them, bridges will be burned.

7. Buck2466 Feb 22, 2020

The only thing I would let them know, is they just lost a long time customer.

8. CaptainWinsor Feb 22, 2020

11. Especially in today’s retail market.

9. Evitzee Feb 22, 2020

I would go back to the AD and inform them of the best price at the other dealer and, considering your past loyalty and purchases from them, are they willing to work with you on price. Talk to a manager. If they say no then you know where you stand with that dealer. I would then strongly inform them in person and in writing that they have lost a long term customer (and let them know how much you have spent with them over the years). That's about all you can do. It is disappointing that some retailers just don't value long term customers.

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 22, 2020

Just buy the watch where you got the £6k discount and wear it to the AD. Say nothing, they will know. Sounds like you need to spread your loyalty :thumbsup:

You are always loyal as you can afford to be..
    You should never have to remind someone about your loyalty

11. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Feb 22, 2020

Can we see a picture. This would be closest I’ll ever be to having one.

Eve and ConElPueblo like this.
  12. kippyk Feb 22, 2020

I was purchasing stereo equipment one time (three pieces) and asked a local audio store for a 10% discount (Rotel equipment). I offered to pay cash and even wait for a shipment if they did not want to use their in store stock for the transaction. No dice. I explained to the sales person the many reasons why it was a bad business decision for them to reject my offer. He did not budge. I then went to another store, and the salesperson gladly gave me a 10% discount for the same items. The first store turned down easy $.

13. killer67 Feb 22, 2020

Don’t be mad - graciously accept a mind blowing 6000£ discount and realign your expectations of your “best AD” or former best AD now

oinkitt and chunkythebulldog like this.
  14. Rumar89 Feb 22, 2020

Literally today I walked into my local watch store as they called me to let me know they had gotten a 4-liner 14060m in. This is a place that rakes me over the coals on service costs, but they’re local and the work is good. They also pretty consistently mark up used pieces over market by 10-20%. Tried to haggle, and their response was we don’t discount stainless Rolex’s period. Just walked right out. Most likely I’ll never go back.

15. killer67 Feb 22, 2020

sadly someone will buy the watch which entitles and reinforces them in saying we don’t discount SS Rolex. Losing customers is not as important as it used to be

Rumar89 and Evose like this.
  16. Muddlerminnow Feb 22, 2020

[QUOTE="killer67, post: 1446618, member: 49963" Losing customers is not as important as it used to be[/QUOTE]

The way the economy seems to be heading, treating loyal customers well will be back in fashion again soon.

cvalue13, Davidt and 8100_RPM like this.
  17. Rumar89 Feb 22, 2020

Naively I assumed getting gouged on service costs would buy me some goodwill. Apparently, what it entitled me to was getting gouged on watch prices too with a host of pathetic explanations for why their pieces are overpriced. Thanks, but I’ll pass.

18. Evose Feb 22, 2020

Really disappointing. This Rolex craze is causing irrational behavior and once it’s over, they’ll realize just how significant their losses are.

Rumar89 likes this.
  19. killer67 Feb 22, 2020

You did the right thing - now I’m not sure if that will change their future behavior but @Muddlerminnow may be right; economies ebb and flow and I can’t wait for them to call you in nine months with another interesting piece to buy
    You’ll know what to do :D

Rumar89 likes this.
  20. Walrus Feb 22, 2020

He was a regular customer and they lied to his face, I wouldn’t let that go without at least a mention. There are plenty of ways to verbally address it calmly.

Rumar89 likes this.