Forums Latest Members

Thanks for the motivation Al

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 27, 2020

After seeing Al's thread on a couple of lathe projects, I got myself fired up to do something about the darn shock mount springs that are usually a PITA to install.

Off to the garage I went and looked around and found a bit of 2.7mm ø bronze rod from an old clock chime.

I put the rod in a collet, tidied up the tip of my graver and started cutting a taper on the rod.
    A few minutes later I was getting there.

IncablocToolProgress.JPG

I found the hardest thing was getting rid of the tiny centre pimple when cutting the hole in the end of the rod.
    Darn phone wouldn't focus on the tip!

IncablocToolCollet.JPG

After getting it down to size and cleaning up the hole, I was all done.
    Viola! A new tool that cost me nothing but time. And electricity. And tooling costs.

IncablocToolFin.JPG

A close up of the tip for my pass/fail test ;).

IncablocToolTip.jpg

Cheers
    Jim

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 27, 2020

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks ;)

Nice one Jim :thumbsup:

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 27, 2020

If you cut the recess deep enough, you don't have to worry about the dimple...

Glad I could inspire you to make some chips!

4. Canuck Apr 27, 2020

I’ve never found it necessary for such a procedure. This tool likely doesn’t show up in watch tool catalogs any longer. This tool has an assortment of “nibs” and a dedicated tiny pin vice for just such procedures as fitting KIF, Seiko, or those annoying ETA springs used on Tissot. This tool is at least 50 years old. Advantage to the old f..t.

8F42CB0A-0EC3-42DB-AC86-9015DE936803.jpeg 3A476138-8F40-405C-9FE1-FA9EEE87FF00.jpeg 3E624E56-93FC-467A-B266-84C2AE0D4376.jpeg

JimInOz likes this.
  5. François Pépin Dec 29, 2020

Hi,

Thanks again god sharing (to both of you, Jim and Al)!

I do not like kif systems... at least on some JKC the Kiff like spring is fixed from one side to to cock, so you cannot lose it. I tried peg wood and acrylic batons. But now I use some tools like the ones showed by Canuck. As I was scared of destroying or altering the shape of the spring with these brass tools, I recently put some finger varnish in the top of one of them to have a softer surface. I still have to try it!

Cheers,
    François