Forums Latest Members
  1. Draskers Jan 16, 2021

Hi folks, many thanks for allowing me to join your forum.

I’ve been reading the odd post here before signing up, as I’ve been saving for either the Seamaster or Speedmaster for some time (no pun intended), and now want to read up further before splashing out.

I love both watches, but am not knowledgeable enough to know some of the basics, such as advantages of a column wheel compared to the shuttle cam, or the definition of hacking seconds, to make a informed purchase.

So that’s me.... I’m looking forward to chatting with you all, and learning more about these awesome watches.

Snooz likes this.
  2. Dan S Jan 16, 2021

Welcome to OF. Yes, there is a lot to learn. But the most important thing is that the watch gives you joy, so don't over-think it. If you are going to buy a vintage watch, you can start a thread and experts will let you know if everything is legit.

Taddyangle and marco like this.
  3. wagudc Jan 16, 2021

Welcome from California!

Taddyangle and Draskers like this.
  4. MRC Jan 16, 2021

Hey, hello! Good to "see" you.

OK, your questions: advantage of column wheel -- pulling power at the bar, assuming your pull target is a chronograph nerd at a watch convention in Switzerland. Eyes glazed over if not. To the manufacturer more cost unless you have cheap labour (eg Seagull) or high retail prices (eg Omega).

Hacking -- nothing to do with computers or horses. When you pull out the crown (that's the winder to most outside this knowledgable forum) the second hand stops. In theory this makes it easier to set the time to the second on your watch. Completely negated by the time it takes for the seconds hand to start up again after pressing in the crown which varies from 1 sec to 15 sec on my watches. And then, being a mechanical watch, it's 5 to 25 seconds slow or fast by the next morning anyway. If you want to know the exact time go to https://time.gov/ or buy a $20 Casio.

Now, what you were not told when you paid your EZ-signup fee of $0.99 is that we are all crazy here. And the fee goes up by $20.00 pcm for every post where you don't include a picture of some sort.

Do not think we are joking, we have enforcement.....

P2110026m.JPG

5. Draskers Jan 16, 2021

Cheers for the advice. I’m going to go for new rather than vintage... I’ve always liked the 321, but the new 3861 with its stepped dial is really tempting me, and then I can buy directly from Omega to ensure it’s real rather than unwittingly buying a knock off as I don’t know the differences well enough!

6. Draskers Jan 16, 2021

Wow. Thanks for all the info... I totally understand hacking now, but will need to read up more on understanding the mechanism more!

I like the photo by the way... it looks like the Vulcan Bomber at Coventry Air Museum, which is just down the road from me. I’ll start searching for some of my own photos I can post as so not to incur the fee!!!

MRC likes this.
  7. Dan S Jan 16, 2021

Hopefully you can try the watches on your wrist before buying.

8. mountainunder Jan 17, 2021

Hello Nice to meet you.
    Welcome to the Omega Forum.
    Let's learn and have fun together.::book::

I too am trying my best to save money to buy a watch.

9. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 17, 2021

I love the Speedmaster watches, and while a have a few, I find myself more often wearing the Seamaster watches. This is due to lifestyle, for example, wearing a Speedmaster kayaking or swimming/snorkeling is a no go for me.

So maybe no decision is needed, you buy both a Speedmaster and a Seamaster.

20201203_145432.jpg

Snooz likes this.
  10. MRC Jan 17, 2021

This one is at Newark Air Museum http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/ and I lucked out because the cockpit was open to visitors that day :)

I like all the Whittle stuff at Coventry http://www.midlandairmuseum.co.uk/jet.php must go look at that when normality returns.

Draskers likes this.
  11. Draskers Jan 17, 2021

I’ll be trying them on for sure... just got to wait for all the shops to re-open again first!

12. Draskers Jan 17, 2021

Hiya. It takes a fair bit of saving doesn’t it! Which style are you saving for?

mountainunder likes this.
  13. Draskers Jan 17, 2021

Ha Ha... wouldn’t that be nice! Need to enjoy buying my first Omega before even considering the next, though it’s a great idea for the long term!

Thanks for saying hi.

Taddyangle likes this.
  14. Snooz Jan 17, 2021

Great photo! :thumbsup: I agree - both is the way to go!

Taddyangle likes this.
  15. mountainunder Jan 17, 2021

ST105.003 Ed white::love::

Taddyangle and Draskers like this.