Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 23, 2022

You know you watch too much tennis when...

1 - you know the names of almost all the umpires.
    2 - you know who the umpire is just by the sound of their voice.
    3 - well, this...

IMG_4159.JPG

Watching live on line and on the TV, while recording another match on the TV...::facepalm2::

2. TimeODanaos Jan 26, 2022

AO Q-F: Felix A-A 2 - 3 Medvedev. What a match. Who knows, maybe a few minutes rain break turned it, maybe not. I would happily wish the "big three" a pleasant retirement if we can see more of these two guys at the top of the game.

Archer and LesXL like this.
  3. afnios1 Jan 26, 2022

Great game,Tsitsipas also made it,an easy win today.

4. TimeODanaos Jan 26, 2022

My daughter's very keen on young Stefanos, can't imagine why... ::love::

afnios1 likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 26, 2022

That was an extremely high quality match. Not the outcome I wanted, but Felix should be very proud of the way he took it to Medvedev.

If you watched the on court interview after, Medvedev stated pretty clearly that the rain break, and closing the roof are what turned this around for him. Cooler with the roof closed...which affects the player and the ball flight.

So two great efforts by Felix last night, and Denis Shapovalov the day prior in the quarters. I think it's only a matter of time before we see one of those holding a trophy from a major, maybe both of them.

TimeODanaos likes this.
  6. 64Wing Jan 27, 2022

7. afnios1 Jan 27, 2022

Med vs Stefanos will be a great match,12 h left....Gooooo Stef

8. Wryfox Jan 27, 2022

Pickleball is taking over around here(Florida). Nearby is now planned the largest pickle ball court in the country when it expands. It was the largest when it was built too, just getting bigger. $14million USD total.

Anyway, its a smaller version of tennis(smaller court), played with what looks like a ping pong paddle and whiffle ball.

It is ridiculously popular here, more than tennis from what I'm hearing. Tons of tennis courts being converted. Professional players and tournaments. Silly name, big money.

Fun fact, Pickleball was named after the founder's dog, Pickles.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 27, 2022

Not surprising as it's a great game for seniors. If playing doubles it is very easy for people with limited mobility, since a full pickleball court takes up less than 1/2 a tennis court, so you can nearly stand in one place and play the game. Since both the ball and the racquet are dead, it's very easy for people to learn compared to tennis, where both the ball and racquet are live and have bounce, so learning to control the ball using spin is very difficult. In pickleball, it's extremely easy by comparison.

I know several very good competitive pickleball players, who have taken up tennis to improve their pickleball skills.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 29, 2022

Great evening to watch!

11. TimeODanaos Jan 29, 2022

Barty = someone who gives all of sport a good name, for sure.

lindo and Archer like this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 29, 2022

Her game looks effortless. My wife said it's a bit like watching Roger...just sort of glides around the court. incredible accuracy in the services, and some great shot making.

13. TimeODanaos Jan 29, 2022

Very relatable, level-headed and pleasant person too it appears. I didn't know before about her Indigenous heritage, which adds further interest. It was good to see her stand up against such a physically strong opponent.
    Come to think of it, that dangerous deep backhand slice is very "Roger" indeed!

Absolutely no idea who will do it tomorrow - can't wait to find out.

lindo likes this.
  14. TimeODanaos Jan 30, 2022

:eek: Well, I thought it would be close. Mind blown - need a bike ride after that. What a wonderful sport, and well done 'Stralia.

15. afnios1 Jan 30, 2022

What a great final,Nadal's iq is way too high....Respect

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 30, 2022

Respect for both players. Just shy of 5.5 hours of gruelling tennis.

Although I’m not a Rafa guy necessarily, I wanted him to win this. He won’t hold the record alone for very long I suspect, and very likely will not have the most when it’s all said and done, but I was happy to see him pull this off.

First set looked like Medvedev would have this done in 3, so an amazing comeback.

lindo likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 13, 2022

In his 9th tour final, Felix finally gets the win! He played incredibly well all week, and the final was the most dominant performance. He broke Tsitsipas in the first game for the match, and didn’t look back...

3F196FDE-B3ED-4A80-919C-B17B4CFDE9CD.jpeg

TimeODanaos likes this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 28, 2022

Congratulations on Canada for a Davis Cup win… :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bet @Archer is proud…

Archer likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 28, 2022

2022 Davis Cup.jpg

Thanks! Yes Canada has had a very good year in team tennis. We started by winning the ATP Cup in Australia in January, beating Russia in the semi's and Spain in the final. Then Felix Auger-Aliassime was an instrumental part of Team World winning the Laver Cup in September, Teaming up with Jack Sock to beat Murray and Berrettini in doubles, then beating Noval Djokovic in straight sets in singles on day 3.

Now to win the Davis Cup for the first time, an event that we have been competing in since 1913, well that was a great end to the tennis year for me.

As an aside, Felix also beat Nadal at the ATP finals, so that makes him the first (and only now) player born after the year 2000 to beat all of the big three...Federer (who he beat in Halle last year), Djokovic, and Nadal. His streak of 3 titles in a row (and making the semis in the event after that) this fall has put him solidly in the top 10, and I think he is going to contend for majors very soon.

Shout out to Denis Shapovalov who played a very controlled match against Kokkinakis yesterday, and of course Vasek Pospisil, who is the veteran of our Davis Cup team now - he always comes through in doubles, and back in 2019 when we made the final and lost to Spain, he came through big time in singles as well.

Maple syrup.jpg

TimeODanaos likes this.
  20. TimeODanaos Nov 28, 2022

Always thought FAA was headed for the top table. Hope CDN-AUS relations will remain cordial!