Take your watch swimming underwater?

Took me two years to track it down, it’s the original factory bracelet for this model, made by JBC.
F1E70ABC-246A-4CB6-96BC-372D0D4DF5A7.jpeg

It sat on eBay for a bit at a high price and I made an fair offer- he accepted. Another immediately popped up on eBay on a cheap diver and apparently others knew what it was and it got bid up so I didn’t grab that one too, I should have- I’m two links short. But I have a long JB clasp that works on it so I can use it while I wait for links or another parts bracelet.

If someone wants one of these, I've got one that I don't use. Came on a Seiko, IIRC.

The Speedmaster Professional isn’t a dive watch and there isn’t a big risk of water intrusion in space. I have no concern about getting caught in the rain or washing dishes while wearing my Speedy, but I wear my SMPc when I’m sea kayaking just in case of capsize and it always gets a thorough rinse in fresh water afterwards to remove the salt.
373C7438-0274-41CB-8116-09B96862065B.jpeg
Edited:

Ever wear your watch when you’re in the water?

I don’t mind doing it with my Oyster Case type Rolex watches, but have never done it with my other watches even though they claim to be waterproof. The Rolex watches have a winding crown that screws on to the case like a submarine hatch.

Anyone put their Speedmaster underwater? Or other Omega watch?

I wear all my watches in water even if none of them have a screw down crown or pushers. Apart from my Citizen (basher) watches, the one that has seen the most (under) water is my X-33 G2 which has the lowest water resistance rating and most pushers. My Speedmaster has a 50m rating and 100m on my De Ville. Don't own any mechanical divers at the moment though.

I even wore my cheap, Yonex branded watch I got for free with a racket into the shower after games. Although after a few months the glass fell out while taking out the recycling. I didn't notice until I was in the shower and the dial had filled with water. Whoops!

I did go swimming few times with my 2254, but more because i didnt want it lying around alone on the beach. If i was planning going swimming on these ocasions i would have probably left the watch at home, as i dont see a reason of taking unnecessary risk.
But since i often have to shower my kids, my watch often gets wet, so its nice to know it can at least take some splashes. Therefore my 2254 gets most of the wear nowadays.

IMG_20200516_152014.jpg

Those who choose to no longer wear a watch in water, have made the choice after a favourite watch leaked on them. Best of luck!

Those who choose to no longer wear a watch in water, have made the choice after a favourite watch leaked on them. Best of luck!

Isn't that what a full service is for? After it leaks...and the tears. 😁

I did go swimming few times with my 2254, but more because i didnt want it lying around alone on the beach. If i was planning going swimming on these ocasions i would have probably left the watch at home, as i dont see a reason of taking unnecessary risk.
But since i often have to shower my kids, my watch often gets wet, so its nice to know it can at least take some splashes. Therefore my 2254 gets most of the wear nowadays.

IMG_20200516_152014.jpg

No unnecessary risk involved

A Seamaster is rated to 300m, PO is rated to 600m and your average Dive Computer is only rated to 200m

No unnecessary risk involved

A Seamaster is rated to 300m, PO is rated to 600m and your average Dive Computer is only rated to 200m
I didnt check water pressure for almost 2 years, so there is some risk involved 🙄
I dont trust that Helium Valve 😁

Pool or sea the PO is always on the wrist,

FB8E2B51-DB98-479F-870C-F7DD8944CFA0_1_201_a.jpeg

Pool or sea the PO is always on the wrist,

FB8E2B51-DB98-479F-870C-F7DD8944CFA0_1_201_a.jpeg

Are you sure that’s not a large gin and tonic 😉

I was having a few socially-distanced drinks with some friends the other night, and the conversation got existential, as we all know too well follows alcohol consumption.

After a break in the chatter, discussing life-meaning, death, and relationships, I said, “I just have one question: is 50 meters 50 meters?” After a bemused pause, one of my friends said, “Bob...what the fuck are you talking about?”

I didnt check water pressure for almost 2 years, so there is some risk involved 🙄

This is why the Aqua Terra at 150m WR, screw down crown and no HEV is a much more practical option in some ways. Only a saturation diver needs a HEV, whether it's manual or automatic. For everyone else it's just another hole in the watch that requires a gasket that can fail over time. Even the automatic HEV in a Rolex can leak since it still requires a gasket. Rare, but it happens as reported on the Rolex forum.

“Bob...what the fuck are you talking about?”

I mutter that under my breath quite often...😀

It's a very good idea to get the watch pressure tested regularly, because there's no obvious sign that a gasket has failed, well other than water inside the watch. Just keep in mind that testing isn't maintenance, and since water resistance is not a permanent feature, it must be maintained.

This means replacing of the seals - in your watch there are 5 total, and 4 that would be replaced if the watch came to me - I would not replace the crystal gasket unless there was an obvious reason to do so. But the others are the case back seal, the crown seal, and both seals in the HEV.

Note that the HEV is actually not a common leak point - it's almost always the crown that is the seal that goes first.

Cheers, Al

It's a very good idea to get the watch pressure tested regularly, because there's no obvious sign that a gasket has failed, well other than water inside the watch. Just keep in mind that testing isn't maintenance, and since water resistance is not a permanent feature, it must be maintained.

This means replacing of the seals - in your watch there are 5 total, and 4 that would be replaced if the watch came to me - I would not replace the crystal gasket unless there was an obvious reason to do so. But the others are the case back seal, the crown seal, and both seals in the HEV.

Note that the HEV is actually not a common leak point - it's almost always the crown that is the seal that goes first.

Cheers, Al
I was somehow thinking of servicing it, and thought as soon as its starts running funny i will bring it for serice.. but the watch runs stable as hell. I know its no indication that the oils are not dry.
Knowing few lokal watchmakers i am afraid it will get worse after servicing and i dont want to send it to Omega as i dont want the to refinish the watch it still has its factory finish. So i stretch it ever since.. 😗

I was having a few socially-distanced drinks with some friends the other night, and the conversation got existential, as we all know too well follows alcohol consumption.

After a break in the chatter, discussing life-meaning, death, and relationships, I said, “I just have one question: is 50 meters 50 meters?” After a bemused pause, one of my friends said, “Bob...what the fuck are you talking about?”
I have found myself trying to share a funny story from this forum with the lady, or friends- and as I laughingly share it I realIze that it doesn’t translate...you had to be there.

And outside of this group- nobody I know would ever think I have any desire to snorkel.

For me wearing the watch in the Gulf, then into the pool and finally soaking it in a bowl of tap water is my last day of getting the bracelet clean and sparkling.

I have found myself trying to share a funny story from this forum with the lady, or friends- and as I laughingly share it I realIze that it doesn’t translate...you had to be there.

And outside of this group- nobody I know would ever think I have any desire to snorkel.

SNORKEL!!!!!!! 🤦🤦🤦 BTW - I just read the entire thread - hilarious!!
2715f481-0c3e-40fc-9161-89134d46cabb-jpeg.1023647

That one looks familiar...brother from another mother...

Wish I could take credit for all those Snorkel’s in that thread, alas I only have that one and the new reissue....now if @hmmmcamu wants to leave me his collection in his will.....😗