Forums Latest Members

Swatch — omega “Mission to Mars” [VIDEO] HANDS-ON

1. apsm100 Noob taxpayer Mar 24, 2022

Love scrolling through dozens of "pre-orders" for these on eBay. :mad:

cvalue13 likes this.
  2. Dedalus05 Mar 24, 2022

Foolhardy more like. I find it very odd what I percieve as a complete lack of objectivity on here. These watches are just cheap and nasty plastic garbage. And they look it!! Perhaps Omega want a slice of the fashion watch market? But what it feels like is Omega trying to cut into the replica market to me.

Also, the superior attitude berating others for appearing concerned about "brand value" etc is tiresome. I like wearing a somewhat expensive timepiece as functional jewelry, and as a symbol of "status". There is nothing wrong with that. A somewhat shallow human foible for sure; but very "human" and entirely natural. I am unashamed of my vanity. And outside of actual collectors (a special breed), anyone denying that is part of the attraction of luxury watch brands are not being entirely honest with themselves.

That said, I don't think these will make much of a mark on Omega as a brand in any case. In a year or so, if we remember them at all, it will be with a touch of second-hand embarrassment for those that championed them today.

Nasty, plastic, cheap looking curiousities the lot of them. But super fun to argue about.

Edited Mar 24, 2022
    SpeedyPhill and blubarb like this.
  3. blubarb Mar 24, 2022

Be
    I actually think these may act as a gateway into digital watches - being the next affordable jump from a novelty watch to another novelty watch that actually does more than just give the time, which for the young is on their phones. Swatch could be helping lay the groundwork for a digital revolution reminiscent of the quartz crises. Personally I don’t have an issue with novelty watches but I’ll wait to get mine with my next McDonald’s Happy Meal. :D

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 24, 2022

Reminder set in my calendar. :D

YY77, Rudi99, Dedalus05 and 5 others like this.
  5. blubarb Mar 24, 2022

[
    Let’s see if these “bioceramic” non medical grade castor oil made PLC watches haven’t broken down by then. It’s pretty much the same stuff used to create artificial bone such as guitar “bone” nuts that around ten years discolour and crack.

Dedalus05 and apsm100 like this.
  6. michael e Still learning. Mar 24, 2022

These watches look great fun and I like them for that, I think we all need a bit of fun in our lives at the moment. If Swatch asked £700 each people would still buy them probably, so the price is not greedy at all.
    They are as much of a Real Omega Speedmaster as this is a real Ferrari though.

B0F760E0-2E61-4469-9AF1-BEE3F0F3EE6D.jpeg
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 24, 2022

Okay, second calendar reminder set for 2032! :)

Rudi99, mydeafcat, Newatch321 and 5 others like this.
  8. JwRosenthal Mar 24, 2022

It’s a Swatch guys, with styling guidance from Omega. This is supposed to be a novelty and fun for all- and they really put serious thought into it (the 11 celestial colorways is so clever).
    It’s like when BMW puts out those little kids cars

F32EF3CD-E1D8-4EA1-AE2B-815F6A322EEB.jpeg

Do those cheapen the brand? Will anyone confuse that with an M3?

Btw- if I could cram my fat ass into that little BMW and it was street legal, I would totally rock that thing.

SpeedyPhill, Rudi99, Elfrenez and 6 others like this.
  9. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Mar 24, 2022

Yeppers…big fan of those Beavis and Butt-Head jokers…

AB57EB51-70F1-4CDB-A75A-E95DE4566211.jpeg

49FF01CB-6848-4E51-B09D-F60679C6328E.jpeg

10. TheGreekPhysique Mar 24, 2022

Confused about all the negative opinions on this. I view these watches as something young kids/teens would love to have so that they can wear something that resembles the one that "dad" or "mom" has. A great way to have some family bonding if you ask me.

11. wrist time Mar 24, 2022

The bids are already crazy on some.

12. stonestone Mar 24, 2022

There’s a bunch of serious watch folks I’m in touch with here in Hong Kong (people who wear PPs, APs, Langes as well as Speedies), who, like me, really like these watches and we had all been strategizing whether we should get to the Swatch store 2, 3 or 4 hours before it opens Saturday. Then photos started circulating of people lining up *Thursday night* in front of the store in Causeway Bay. These are most likely folks paid to keep someone’s place on line, mostly on behalf of flippers who will then sell these at whatever markup they can get away with. That’s the downside of this particular experiment, alas. At this point I prefer to wait until they are available online.

805768EB-8F05-4F08-8A20-13C53BDCA1D8.jpeg
  13. Ree Mar 24, 2022

Hello, Omega? This is Tissot calling.
    Hey, I heard about your collab with Swatch, congrats on that one. People are really lining up for it! Genius.
    Well, here's the thing, we've got another brilliant idea. As you might have heard, Swatch will be doing it next with Breguet for 2023. So if you're free for another collab in 2023, would you consider us doing Omega x Tissot? We could do a MoonTissot Apollo 11, or James Bond PRX. Or you want a smartwatch with our T-Touch Platform? We think it'll be a huge success for both brands. It'll get the younger audience in. After all, we're family right?

Just kidding guys. Lightening up the thread.

Pun likes this.
  14. cvalue13 Mar 24, 2022

First, I genuinely applaud you for just saying it!

Second, if there’s anyone actually berating what you ascribe, that’s unfortunate.

But third, I instead see people saying “my luxury watch is no longer luxury if some down-market people can buy a plastic one that costs only $260” which seems an entirely different, out-of-touch, point.

That’s the vibe being harshed on, as I see it.

That vibe even seems backwards: today, hardly anyone in the real world notices or gives two sh*ts about your Speedmaster; after this collaboration, several more people will know and notice and think “damn, that’s a real one - those costs 1/4 of what my mom makes all year.”

[EDIT for unnecessary intensity spurred likely by my Hogs beating Gonzaga]

Edited Mar 24, 2022
  15. blubarb Mar 24, 2022

My long term take: Getting ahead of the curve, Swatch - clever. A stealth move by Swatch to introduce Digital watches to the lineup, whereby the owner can get a colourful plastic case and a digital dial of their choice, eg: Seamaster, Speedmaster, Aqua Terra or some other Omega design? Just saying, but saying it here first. If you go with this Swatch/Omega my royalty share will be 2% of all sales of that being 50% to my good self and 50% to the Omega Forums please. You're welcome, Swatch.

16. SkunkPrince Mar 24, 2022

tl;dc

apsm100, Scarecrow Boat and cvalue13 like this.
  17. blubarb Mar 25, 2022

Couldn't help myself...though may not evoke the sadness of the original

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 1.07.20 pm.png

Edited Mar 25, 2022
  18. JetLinks Mar 25, 2022

I was interested, but after seeing these cheap looking plastic watches in person it truly is bad for the Omega brand. There's plenty of Omega knock-offs being sold in China but I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of the people on this forum who value the things that Omega offer, want a knock off or replica

apsm100 likes this.
  19. rob#1 Mar 25, 2022

I can’t wait for the “I’m worried I’ve overwound my MoonSwatch” and “Will it run flat if I leave the chronograph on?” threads :rolleyes:

Dsloan, blubarb and Dedalus05 like this.
  20. Dedalus05 Mar 25, 2022

Not just out of touch, but downright oppressive. Feck those losers for sure.

From my point of view if I am in company and another guy has on a "MoonSwatch" opposite my Speedy I shall think on that great Irishman Oscar Wilde when he said that, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness."

Related question: If it has Omega on the dial and says Speedmaster does that make it an official 'Speedmaster'? As much an official 'Speedy' as my own? I would argue that it does.

Dsloan likes this.