Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 12, 2022

group.JPG
    Its an interesting group.

I review them here on the site:

https://speedmaster101.com/speedmaster-blog/

Questions:

Which one do you think will go highest % over estimate?
    Do you think each will sell?
    Which is your favourite...I know mine(!)

2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 12, 2022

That Alaska. Pity about the missing lume on the top of the step ... but still ...

I also wonder : the '914' gold ... why does that number ring a bell? Has that not perhaps been sold/offered recently?

M'Bob, Seaborg and Spacefruit like this.
  3. tad Apr 12, 2022

Phillips are pretty conservative on their estimates so will be really interested to see what the Alaska fetches. Undoubtedly they would have done all their homework on provenance so one to watch.

Spacefruit likes this.
  4. tad Apr 12, 2022

Forgot to mention, thanks for the write up. Always interested in your perspective on auctions.

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 12, 2022

Agree. I thought the same thing….who will sleuth it?

6. Seaborg Apr 12, 2022

Alaska ::love::

Spacefruit, JanV and eugeneandresson like this.
  7. Davidt Apr 12, 2022

At first glance I liked the 2998-1 with pulsations bezel, but the dial puts me off at that estimate.

The top two for me are the Alaska and the 18ct BA. I assume most will go for the Alaska so I’ll throw me lot in with the BA. I’ve always liked this reference, particularly when it has the original burgundy bezel in good condition, along with bracelet and is overall reasonably sharp and in good condition.

If I had the spare cash to drop of a watch of this value, knowing I’d wear it once in a blue moon, it would very possibly be one of these. I’ll say this sells above estimate by the highest margin as it’s a great watch, produced in limited numbers and gold + a colour is about as hot as it’s been in years. Hammer of $75k

8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 12, 2022

My sleuthing skillz are rotten today (I am finding nothing)...however, the more I think, the louder the bell rings...

Spacefruit likes this.
  9. cristos71 Apr 12, 2022

I'll take the Soyuz at the €12K low estimate please.

JimmyTwoTimes, YYTIN, Seaborg and 4 others like this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 12, 2022

I'd be surprised if the date model with the 3200a/3300 movement (lot 273) makes its estimate since it is in effect a Broad Arrow prototype with the F Piguet derived movement, not a Lemania one which might hold it back a little. Mind you it is about time the Broad Arrows got some recognition. I like them more than the Grail.

M'Bob and Spacefruit like this.
  11. cvalue13 Apr 12, 2022

“In fact when you think of the brown dialled 2915 selling for over $3 million, this [NASA-tendered Alaska] is a far more interesting watch by comparison, and one that I don’t think any buyer would regret buying.”

+1000

M'Bob, Caliber561, stonestone and 2 others like this.
  12. machamp6650 Apr 12, 2022

When I first saw these my eye was immediately drawn to that Monza daytona-lookalike - love the OP's distinct lack of interest in this one:

finally the white dialled speedmaster Monza which will probably appeal to certain people

:D

cvalue13 likes this.
  13. Watch my Whisky Apr 12, 2022

I think the Monza will surprise.

14. stonestone Apr 13, 2022

Excellent write-up of the whole lot. The Alaska is amazing. Given my budget, I will probably have to settle for the Moonswatch Mission to Mars, however.

fizz, MDubs, blufinz52 and 4 others like this.
  15. vitriol Apr 13, 2022

indeks1.jpg
    indeks2.jpg
    This piece is clearly marked as "not for sales" - has the date model ever made it to be a serial production? If so, it wasn't 145.0022/345.0022 reference I assume?

M'Bob likes this.
  16. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 13, 2022

Yes but with the date at 6. The 42mm broad arrow models have 178.0022 case numbers because they are chronometer rated. It’s not a Moonwatch movement with auto winding and date complication added, it’s totally different internally. For example they run at 4 Hz rather than the more pedestrian 3Hz of the 1861 so are a little smoother in operation but then faster isn’t always better.

Omega never to my knowledge released a date equipped Moonwatch clone like that prototype in 42mm but there were models with different dials and hands in that 42mm case and a 44mm version with the Moonwatch style dial and bigger case. No production Broad Arrow model had Professional on the dial. There was a one off LE that used this movement in the 42mm case with the rotor removed to make it manual winding. It has a lovely ceramic black dial I recall.

some info one one later 42mm example

https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-speedmaster-broad-arrow-178-0022/

Here is the 44mm

095465E1-D018-4665-8ADB-C709DD0F43E0.png
    Edited May 31, 2022
  17. gmmy775 Apr 13, 2022

I enjoyed the review, particularly your insights on the Project Alaska. I get the Phillips Newsletter, so I will have to go back and see if I wasn't paying attention when this auction was announced.

18. Slevin kelevra Apr 13, 2022

Thanks William. Alaska is a special watch for sure.

19. Caliber561 Apr 13, 2022

Alaska...

The Monza is pretty neat, and given the high contrast it makes sense that it's so eye-catching. If it is a unique piece, I'd think it'll blow past that estimate handily given the appeal.

Spacefruit likes this.
  20. pdxleaf ... Apr 13, 2022

A very fun thread! Thanks.

Yes, each will sell.

Favorites. Least favorite first, date and monza. Not a fan of dates, especially on a speedy, so rarity doesn't make it better. It's still an awkward date. Monza is not bad, just not a favorite with the yellow. Seems a little washed out compared to the subdials. Don't like comparisons to rolex, but even though it is inevitable, this Omega does it better. The rotary monza was a fun engine. The revs were insane. Not sure it was worthy of a watch, though. Also skeptical of so-called prototypes. But it'll sell.

Alaska, like everyone else says, is great. Not sure it'll be an overall high percentage winner but it'll do well. What's not to like (other than the FBI knocking on your door and taking your watch.)

Gold speedy is nice and will sell. Can't imagine it being much higher than 50k when you factor in the buyers premium.

Ultraman will sell. Me, I'd rather have Eugene's put together racing dial. Big bucks for Ultraman is a tough sell for me, at least when the choice is the moonshine vs Ultraman money.

I don't know the 2998 market well. It seems out of my reach so I tend not to follow it. The 2998-1 hands are beautiful, like you said. I have noticed that an otherwise nice watch with bad hands will always be disappointing. Once you see bad hands you can't unsee them, especially if everything else is nice. It's like they jump out. These hands elevate the whole watch. I would guess that a buyer would get warm fuzzy feelings whenever they looked down at their wrist wearing this. It's a favorite.

The apollo-soyuz is my favorite and best buy. The pushers are awkward but could be replaced. It has the right case, which is the biggest issue when missing. It is number 076, per Phillips extra pictures and was previously sold around 26k. At 20k i might be a buyer. The serial number is right, the dial and hands properly aged, it even has dirt around the pushers. I think this has the potential for highest percentage over estimate.

Like you said, pictures are very good. After asking for additional pictures, they sent me a folder of high quality picture from multiple angles. Kudos.

Thanks for this thread. Fun to imagine owning any of these, even if fantastical.

Good luck to the sellers and buyers.