Forums Latest Members
  1. GregS May 5, 2020

I have been searching but cannot find an answer. I have an Omega Speedmaster I bought in 1968. Tried to find the difference between the Speedmaster and the Speedmaster Pro. Everything I read was that the "regular" Speedmaster is an automatic. Not true. Mine is not an automatic. It has to be wound. Looks just like the Pro, but without Professional under Speedmaster. I wore this during my 30 military career as a pilot. So...what exactly do I have? It needs to be serviced too. Looking for a reliable dealer in Illinois. I understand DO NOT send to Omega or they will replace everything.
    Thanks for your help!

PC090024.JPG
    JanV, Kiwibloke, Cenzo and 8 others like this.
  2. Davidt May 5, 2020

3. Davidt May 5, 2020

Looks to be in very nice and original condition too, so your comment about not sending it to Omega is fair.

I’m sure some US based members will be able to advise on a watchmaker who can help.

BatDad and Seaborg like this.
  4. JimJupiter May 5, 2020

Thats a loveley example Sir. Do you remember why you chose a Speedmaster back than as Pilot a watch?

The difference between the Speedmaster and Speedmaster pro is more or less the shape of the case. Yours is a so known "Straight Lugs". The other one has an asymetric case with a crown guard.

Nico

Edited May 5, 2020
    Seaborg likes this.
  5. bazderome May 5, 2020

That's a very nice watch Sir with what looks like a cool story attached to it! What aircraft were you flying on ?:rolleyes:
    As Said above it's a Speedmaster 105.003 and it's in nice condition :)

6. alam May 5, 2020

interesting that these thoughts and curiosity took only 52 years to come out! :D nice Speedy you got there!

Eve likes this.
  7. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices May 5, 2020

How 'bout Chris Watch Repair in Chicago. One of the best. Obviously he has an Omega Parts Account.
    Needless to say: Do NOT Polish or replace anything other than broken parts and have those returned to you.
    I'm guessing, by now that you're aware you have a valuable watch. Get it serviced and wear it in good health.

Edited May 5, 2020
  8. Dan S May 5, 2020

Interestingly, if you purchased it in 1968, you would have had the option of purchasing a Speedmaster Professional at that same time. So perhaps you preferred the straight-lug case. :thumbsup:

9. Seaborg May 5, 2020

This is what looks like a very very nice and valuable 105.003 a.k.a. Ed White :thumbsup:::love::

10. CJpickup57 May 5, 2020

Did you end up having it “cleaned” in 2018 or were you unable to source someone? Looks like a very nice tool watch! Glad you used it all those years and it did not just sit in a box.

Also, thank you for your service!

11. Cenzo May 5, 2020

Great looking watch. Can't wait to hear more details about why you picked it and the stories of your ownership. Please share!

12. Dan S May 5, 2020

Here is some previous info on watch repair in that area, you can try searching for more. But actually, I think the best thing to do is to identify knowledgable members who live in your area (sometimes you can figure this out from posts in various threads), and then send them a PM. People are more likely to share their watchmaker's info in private.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-repairs-in-chicago.82735/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/horrible-service.22983/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-pro-repair.69575/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/how-far-do-you-or-your-watch-travel-for-a-service.35574/

Syrte likes this.
  13. ndgal May 6, 2020

@GregS please share more pictures of your watch.
    I hope that these #47 or #640 end links were made smaller to fit between the lugs and not the other way around...

[​IMG]

Edited May 6, 2020