Forums Latest Members
  1. KIMBER Mar 17, 2015

I just got back my Speedy from a minor service. It included a detail,crystal polish,gaskets,regulation. The watch was in a very good condition prior to sending off. I had no service history on it and just bought it used off the Bay. The bracelet had a few scuffs here and there but nothing major I couldn't take care of myself. The crystal was perfect as I polished it myself. I had no idea how well it was as far as being sealed which was a major concern of mine. Not that I planed on swimming or diving with it just hand washing. I had checked it with Kello a free app. which I was able to use to read it as -3.4 sec per day. After examining the watch now they polished the bracelet with out removing the scratches which are now more pronounced. Big deal I can fix that. My problem is now the time is at +16sec. in a 24hr. period. Will the timing level out after a while of running by itself or do I need to send it off to someone else?
    Thanks from the new nOOb.

2. Sapientia Cordis Ev3rclear's Fake Second Account Mar 17, 2015

check if the watch is fully winded up. regarding the +- per day its possible that the watch was not running regularly before the service, meaning that it went well "dial upwards" (-3 sec) but bad "crown down" (+100 sec) and runs now "better" than before - but its just a guess.

if you are skeptical check if your watchmaker does omegas on regular basis. you can also ask another watchmaker to look into the watch and see if there is any dirt left inside or the juwels are properly oiled. there are watchmakers for instance that call "running down" the watch a service where a screw is removed so that a fully winded watch unwinds itsself in 30 secs and "bombs" the dirt away... often parts break during this "process".

what you also can do is provide a "high quality" picture of the movement so that our forum watchmakers can examine it. they typically see fails within seconds.

how much did you pay? a proper service of a speedy is between 100 and 300 euro.

Eric_navi likes this.
  3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 17, 2015

Nice to see the experts chiming in so quickly.
    Time to move on Al, there's a new kid in town.

Edited Mar 17, 2015
    cicindela, lwong, imexian and 5 others like this.
  4. redpcar Mar 17, 2015

"regulation"? Do you mean service? My understanding of regulation is simply putting it on the timer and dialing it in. A very good question is the amount you paid and was it a reputable shop.

5. KIMBER Mar 17, 2015

Thanks all! I paid $250 and it was a light service not a full break down and clean.
    I believe the regulation was the timing which I now have an issue with.
    I tried with mister Archer who is not taking any more work. Also another company who I was referred to by a seasoned member here and was also declined as well. So further research brought up the person I sent it to.
    I have never opened up a watch case before but I see that happening REAL soon.
    Thanks again for all the input guys.:D

6. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Mar 17, 2015

I very strongly suggest you do not do this. To start with it will need new seals and what are you going to do once you have opened it?

7. KIMBER Mar 17, 2015

Take pictures for starters. And continue to search for another watchmaker to repair the repair. Sound good?

8. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Mar 17, 2015

Have you been in touch with the person who did the service? What were their comments? What will you do with the pictures you take?

Nobel Prize likes this.
  9. Hijak Mar 17, 2015

This is priceless!:eek:

juju and Buck2466 like this.
  10. Eric_navi Mar 17, 2015

But... Is +15 seconds really that bad for a vintage watch?

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 17, 2015

Considering Speedmasters are not chronometers to start with and that the watch wasn't actually serviced not really, I'd rather +15 than -3.4 anyway as you can just hack (in this case backward pressure on crown) to correct the time rather than having to set forward and wait a minute hacked to correct.

KIMBER and Eric_navi like this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 17, 2015

I would think +15 is quite a bit. But I also agree that you could.bring it back.to the se guy. Mistakes happen.

13. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Mar 17, 2015

OK. One more time......... I'm Mr. Archer (Tom is OK). Archer (Al) IS an Archer! Thanks!

TNTwatch likes this.
  14. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Mar 17, 2015

Should have said "an Archer and THE Archer"........

15. imexian Mar 18, 2015

Well tough Al and everyone but i'm sending all mine to Septic Coil.....
    Whats that saying? "How to win friends, and influence people" :p;)

16. KIMBER Mar 18, 2015

Best reply for sure. This is the best way to deal with it. I have other watches that will need servicing so I still need to find a watchmaker eventually.Thanks!

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 18, 2015

Honestly, a 300 Euro service is optimistic even for an 861.

If a watch I buy comes with a receipt for a 100 Euro service it gets sent to the workshop faster than I can take the strap off.

Who knows what a man with 100 euros can do to a speedmaster

18. KIMBER Mar 18, 2015

Scratch his hammer? Bend his butter knife? No good.

Eric_navi likes this.
  19. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Mar 19, 2015

20. KIMBER Mar 19, 2015

Thanks Tom. The got that performed the light service said it didn't require a full servic of $750. Since he had it he recomended a light service of $250. I shall check out Corner stone for my other Omegas thou.