Forums Latest Members

How far do you (or your watch) Travel for a Service

1. KrodMandoon Feb 12, 2016

I dont even have a Speedmaster as yet.. but when I finally find one and pounce Ill probably be a bit precious about where it gets serviced.

But was interested to know how far members (or their watches) travel in order to get them serviced?

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 12, 2016

To me it depends on the watch.

Last year I dropped off a modern Omega for service to the San Diego Omega boutique. Not very far from where I live. It was expensive, but I thought the best way to go for me.

Last month I mailed 3 vintage watches to a watchmaker (member of this forum) to AUS because two local watchmakers failed to fix correctly.

For lower cost watches I send them to a watchmaker on the east coast for repair/service.

3. KstateSkier Feb 12, 2016

I've yet to have any of my Omega's serviced. There is an authorized Omega dealer (not a boutique) about 10 miles from my house. But I honestly think theyre a bunch of overpriced idiots. And frankly I'm concerned with ever leaving one of my pieces there.

Its my understanding you can ship your watch to the swatch US Service center and have it serviced by Certified Omega Watchmakers. That's most likely what I'll do when my 145.022 is ready to go for service.

4. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 12, 2016

For most of my watches, I use a local watchmaker (about 7 miles from where I live in Chicago) whom I've known for 9 years and who does excellent work (and to whom I've also directed quite a few Chicagoans on this forum). For some of my Illinois and Hamiltons I have used a collector-friend on the east coast with success (and less expense). For my early Rolex Oysters and bubblebacks I use another collector-watchmaker in Austin, TX, as he's pretty much specialized in these, and most other watchmakers seem not to like to work on bubblebacks, or do not have the patience!

5. Canuck Feb 12, 2016

I service my own, so not far, at all!

6. Pvt-Public Feb 12, 2016

For my pocket watches, for the most part only as far as my living room, since none are worth all that much. For the couple Omegas I own about 10 miles to a guy who does Rolex and Omega for a local higher end jeweler.

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 12, 2016

My vintage El Primeros go about 250 miles for a service.

8. ConElPueblo Feb 12, 2016

I send mine from Denmark to England. Have one in transit right now....

IMG_0010.JPG

(any excuse, right?)

oddboy and adam78 like this.
  9. Noisy Nova Feb 13, 2016

About an hours drive on nice back country roads.

10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 13, 2016

I used to send some of my watches from NY to Oregon for service.

11. laughing_cavlier Feb 13, 2016

Along a very nice set of country roads about 50 miles to Whitney near Oxford, England to a watchmaker I have been using for some years now. He is 76 and so I am dreading the day I have to find a new one! I have two watches there right now, not looking forward to the bill, as replacement parts were required!!!!!:eek:

12. proximal Feb 14, 2016

I live near Los Angeles; my Speedmaster is currently undergoing service in Ontario (Canada, not California).

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 14, 2016

Sent one off the other day Australia to Canada, the worlds a small place now days. A special watch to me sentimentally deserved the trip.

14. SeanO Feb 14, 2016

Perth Australia to Jawjah for my Gallet chrono's

15. keepschanging Feb 14, 2016

Over 9,600 kilometres. If I've spent a few thousand on a watch, then an additional hundred here or there on shipping costs, plus a few days here or there, are totally worth the comfort of knowing the watch has gone to the best of the best.

16. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 14, 2016

Various places depending on the watch and the work needed, but all within the continental USA. No one local to me, so all travel via post or courier.