Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Squealing noise at winding end

1. FedFod Feb 5, 2020

Hi all,

since a couple of months or so, when I wind my new Speedmaster until the end, in the last 3 turns or so it makes a very strange squealing sound.
    I attach a video for you to hear that.
    The watch is new, bought summer last year.
    Thank you for any insight!

2. Canuck Feb 5, 2020

You don’t really provide enough information for anyone to come to a positive conclusion. But I’ll take a stab at an answer. Your Speedmaster possibly is a manual winder, and the hook at the outer end of the mainspring is broken off. Friction of the outer coils against the barrel wall is sufficient to allow you to wind the watch maybe half way, at which time the outer coil of the mainspring loses its grip, and ZIP, the spring runs down. I very much doubt you’ll get (at the best) a ten hour run after winding it. What has been the maximum run time on a winding since the “squealing” phenomenon started?

FedFod likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 5, 2020

If the watch continues to wind, and never comes to a hard stop where it can't be wound any longer, the mainspring is broken.

That's what it sounds like to me in your video - broken mainspring.

Cheers, Al

Als 27, ChrisN and FedFod like this.
  4. Dan S Feb 5, 2020

This thread reminds me of an old "Car Talk" episode. Don't know if those aired in Canada.

Two brothers had a show on public radio where people called in to ask car-related questions, often asking for diagnoses of mechanical problems, including sound effects. Then the brothers would try to guess the problem and give advice. The funny thing is that there was rarely any follow up so you never learned if they got it right. Probably sounds boring, but it was actually very entertaining and never got old. The brothers were totally self-deprecating, and had a great rapport with each other and with the callers. It aired for decades, but they finally retired several years ago.

Uniqez, apsm100, 89-0 and 2 others like this.
  5. FedFod Feb 5, 2020

Unlikely the car episodes, here there's a follow up : )

So, thank you all guys for the answers. Sorry for the lack of infos, yes it is a manual wind Sapphire Sandwich, latest ref.
    The watch doesn't continue to wind. It reaches a point in which I can no longer turn. Usually 3 turns after (edited "before" into the correct "after") the sound starts.
    I wind it in the evening and in the morning, it keeps perfect time throughout the day.
    So I can say it keeps the winding for at least 14 hours.
    I will not wind it this evening to see how long it will run, and update you. Thank you very much!

P.S. I will visit a watchmaker at the half of February in any case, and show it to him.

Edited Feb 5, 2020
  6. Duckie Feb 5, 2020

Sounds(no pun intended) like a broken Mainspring then.
    It's not rocket science.
    I assume it's quite possibly a warranty repair.
    Either way, it will be an easy fix but if not under warranty they may prefer to do a service on the watch.

7. FedFod Feb 5, 2020

Hi Duckie, which elements make you think it is a broken spring?
    Thank you!

8. Duckie Feb 5, 2020

Wow, that was quick.

If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck and flies with the ducks. Well, you know the rest of the story:)

Besides, there are a number of indicators that can indicate a broken Mainspring and this example presents with a solid set of them.
    So on the balance of probability;)

Hope you can get it repaired by someone reputable that has access to genuine parts.

9. FedFod Feb 5, 2020

Ahah yes I'm at the computer and looking apprehensively at my watch.

I could send it back to Omega since it's under warranty.
    Could you tell me what makes it look like a duck? I mean, a broken mainspring?
    Only the sound? Because the watch winds and runs normally, apart the ducky, hem squealing sound

10. Duckie Feb 5, 2020

Just send it in to Omega.
    That's your best option if it's still covered by warranty.
    Omega will do everything that's necessary to ensure your best interests are looked after.

11. FedFod Feb 5, 2020

Ok thanks! Do you have any idea what are the times for this kind of things with Omega?
    I've read some horror stories with watches sent to Omega coming back in worst conditions than before or after months...

12. Canuck Feb 5, 2020

Your reply, and I quote, “The watch doesn’t continue to wind. It reaches a point when I can no longer turn. Usually three turns before the sound starts” makes absolutely no sense to me! Wind the watch 60 or 70 turns, until the winder will NO LONGER TURN! If you wind it 60 or 70 turns, and are then able to continue winding, occasionally hearing that WHIZZING (my word) sound, your mainspring is broken! It should be simple proof as to your problem!

13. FedFod Feb 5, 2020

Oh I see what you mean!
    my phrase should have been:
    The watch doesn’t continue to wind. It reaches a point when I can no longer turn. Usually three turns AFTER the sound starts
    which means, after turning it for 60 or 70 times, it will reach a point when it doesn't turn anymore.
    It happens around 3 turns AFTER the sound has started.
    Sorry for the confusion

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 5, 2020

It's okay...I understood what you meant. The mainspring isn't broken then...

FedFod likes this.
  15. FedFod Feb 5, 2020

Thank you Archer! Do you have any idea what could cause the sound?

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 5, 2020

I've listened to the video a few times, but it's difficult to hear exactly what is happening if it's not a broken mainspring...

When you do find out what it is, please let us know.

Cheers, Al

FedFod likes this.
  17. MRC Feb 5, 2020

Click and Clack "The Tappet Brothers"! I loved that show when I lived in NJ & MA. They had a high regard for French cars NOT! Ree-no and Poo-got.

Luckily they never got onto British cars or I'd have been shouting at the radio.....

FedFod and Dan S like this.
  18. Duckie Feb 5, 2020

Oh, so the Mainspring actually ceases to wind any more and the Winding crown comes to a complete stop.
    That's good then:)
    Other than the sound it makes right near the end of a full wind. I assume the watch is running normally:thumbsup:
    In that case it's not going to be a broken Mainspring:cool:
    It will be interesting to find out what's going on then. Please share?

FedFod likes this.
  19. speedytoronto Feb 5, 2020

I’ve been meaning to post about a similar if not same issue. I bought a new Speedy hesalite last April. For the last few months when winding the watch the last few turns make a squealing sound, as if a rubber donut is being twisted. I’ll try to post a video.

FedFod likes this.
  20. FedFod Feb 6, 2020

Exactly! Precisely like if you twist a rubber donuts.
    It’s kind of encouraging to see I’m not the only one.
    Anyway, I didn’t wind the watch yesterday evening, and this morning was still running, which means it ran for about 24 hours.
    So probably it’s not a broken mainspring luckily : )
    I’ll keep you updated if I find something out