Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster experts: Please weigh in

1. Roverholic Jun 11, 2020

Dear fellow forum members,

I am new to this forum, but a long term fan of the Omega Speedmaster. I saw one of these beauties in the UK about 8 years ago and have always wanted to get one. Being partial to automatic movements, I was thinking of the 'Speedmaster Reduced', but after researching on the forum and learning about the complications with the movement have decided against it.

I am looking for a Speedmaster Professional with the Sapphire crystal front and the simple Black dial/chronos. There are numerous models and am looking for some input on:

* The specific models that are worth pursuing.
    * Would prefer buying here or from a trusted source vs. eBay.
    * After researching the forum, I have already reached out to Kringkily, but open to any other trusted vendors or members here.
    * Finally, I am partial to a leather over SS strap over this beautiful watch. Would very much welcome some pictures from fellow members of the Speedmaster on a leather strap. I understand my favorite model will most likely be with a SS strap and this will be an addition for me to explore.

Many thanks for your time and input.

2. BatDad Jun 11, 2020

Welcome to the forum and nice work on setting an Avatar.

I’m no expert, but I might suggest
    “Worth Pursuing” is going to be subjective to your tastes.

Have you looked through the WRUW thread? I’d recommend starting there, you could also check out spacefruits speedmaster101.com site

one of the biggest challenges on choosing a Speedmaster is whether you’d prefer a new, recent or vintage.

Edited Jun 11, 2020
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 11, 2020

Well many would say you fall down at point 1 since most collectors shun the sapphire crystal models. With the exception of the Snoopy and Apollo 11 50th there aren’t from memory too many others that are sought after by the masses. The FOIS has its fans I guess but many would have preferred that with hesalite too.

I like them and have a sapphire crystal Broad Arrow Speedmaster but as I say don’t expect to be overwhelmed with suggestions. You might be best served by the std Sapphire Sandwich model.

Edited Jun 11, 2020
    imageWIS and Badwolf like this.
  4. Badwolf Jun 11, 2020

Sapphire does reduce the options. The FOIS is a great watch, mine has had plenty of wrist time. It would have been better with hesalite, as padders mentioned.

0698399C-620B-4533-A5CD-6BC8EBFE0A4C.jpeg

5. kelsey Jun 11, 2020

I think there’s no wrong option in choosing a speedmaster.
    No matter what you hear on forums go with what you like.
    I collect speedies and all are Sapphire it’s certainly what I prefer and still fully understand those who prefer hesalite.
    My wife has a version of the reduced and I often wear it myself and love it. Been eyeing off sometime getting one myself despite preferring manuals.
    If you like the reduced and prefer the smaller size and sapphire FOIS would be something you should certainly short list. One I my favourites and my daily :)

Goodluck and enjoy whatever you choose there is no wrong option.

BatDad likes this.
  6. machamp6650 Jun 11, 2020

My 2c would be that if you have a choice between SS bracelet and leather options for a similar price (e.g. on a sapphire sandwich setup), go for the bracelet. I hear you're partial to leather, and there are many great aftermarket options out there for good prices. Omega leather is more expensive but still fairly reasonable. But if you later find you prefer or would like the option of the SS bracelet, the best are Omega and they're usually very expensive to buy as parts. Good luck!

imageWIS likes this.
  7. Evitzee Jun 11, 2020

The bracelet model is only slightly more expensive than the strap version. If you buy from an AD or Boutique you should be able to negotiate a leather strap/dp buckle as a no-cost extra. Best of both worlds.

8. whyboddau Jun 12, 2020

Maybe you could look for an early 3573.50. These had a domed sapphire crystal as opposed to the later boxed sapphire crystal that produced the milky ring that is not as favored. As stated above, individual taste is subjective. Good luck with the hunt!

Stripey likes this.