Posts
963
Likes
5,630
Inspired by putting on my speedy this morning and wondering, "when did I last wind this?". Beyond telling time, I've discovered that the two things I miss most when not present on a mechanical watch are a running seconds, so that I can quickly see the watch is actually running, and a power reserve indicator. While neither is required for me to enjoy a watch, these are the ones that most often come to mind if I'm wearing a watch that lacks them.

Anyone else?

 
Posts
24,797
Likes
55,079
I agree about the running seconds. I don't have any true dress watches, so this might be my only watch without running seconds and I'm tempted to run the chrono.

 
Posts
963
Likes
5,630
I agree about the running seconds. I don't have any true dress watches, so this might be my only watch without running seconds and I'm tempted to run the chrono.


Same. When I wear my Junghans Chronoscope I find myself running the chrono just to see something moving.
 
Posts
9,236
Likes
76,922
For me, it is having a calendar function.
+ 1
But date, not day ….. even at my age I’m reasonably good on what day it is 😦
 
Posts
2,622
Likes
2,802
In addition to being too insane to wear a watch without running seconds(I'd always think it was stopped!), and preferring a date, I have two complications that I use the crap out of:

1- chronograph: When wearing one of my chronos, I use it 2-3 times a day. I don't STOP it often enough, so it is probably running more often than not.

2- When I'm traveling, the GMT is amazing. I like to call home/text my wife/etc, so it is really nice to at a quick glance tell what time it is at home, particularly because I travel to different time zones typically so cannot memorize how far away I am. its also really nice on the plane to track takeoff and landing zone.

OF the 'complications' I own, the diver bezel is probably my least used, and I have divers mostly because they tend to be more 'do rough things' kinda watches.
 
Posts
15,931
Likes
47,833
+ 1
But date, not day ….. even at my age I’m reasonably good on what day it is 😦
I agree. Over my decades of repairing watches, on a number of occasions, I have had watches I’ve repaired, returned to me because the calendar is erratic. This happens when the owner loses sight of the fact that a 24-hour day is comprised of two 12-hour segments, calendar normally changing at midnight! The date is changing at noon. We’ll, duh!
 
Posts
168
Likes
585
I use my diver bezels a fair bit for rough timing (grilling etc.) and as a fidget tool. I do wish that power reserve indicators were more common - I like them.
 
Posts
963
Likes
5,630
2- When I'm traveling, the GMT is amazing.
True, when I used to travel more for work I definitely appreciated a GMT function especially for quick reference when figuring out when to call home. I haven't had to do much business travel lately so this one wasn't front of mind, but a good shout.

OF the 'complications' I own, the diver bezel is probably my least used, and I have divers mostly because they tend to be more 'do rough things' kinda watches.
I've never used a dive bezel for it's intended functional purpose, but I do like the aesthetic of a good dive watch. Function, shmunction.
 
Posts
917
Likes
4,955
Well I don't know how I would ever cook my daily poached eggs to perfection without using the bezel on my Seamaster. At least that's what I tell my wife. 😂
 
Posts
432
Likes
1,044
I use the dive bezel often. Very practical.

Countdown bezels I don't like, however.

Date would be my answer but I just can't see them well. Even with my readers and a watch cyclops.

Running seconds is an interesting topic. I've been wearing a Seiko 6318 chrono last few days and I run the chrono at all times as a sort of substitute.
 
Posts
4,495
Likes
10,986
I use my diver bezels a fair bit for rough timing (grilling etc.) and as a fidget tool. I do wish that power reserve indicators were more common - I like them.
Ah, the click bezel as a fidget tool.
Public service announcement: If you use your click bezel as a fidget, it won't last long. They aren't designed for daily fidgeting.

I've had several people give me their divers watches that "don't click anymore". I replace the click mechanism that have the tabs completely worn off and ask them if they use it as their fidget. The answer has always been: "no?" <roll eyes>

If a central running seconds hand is a complication, then that's what I use the most. I set the exact time in the morning and in the evening check for accuracy.

Day/Date? Bad eyes, sorry. Chrono? Please, I have timers everywhere. Moon phase? Laughable but cool to look at. Alarm? Cool but my phone can do it to the second and it will run until I shut it off.
 
Posts
524
Likes
2,553
I agree. Over my decades of repairing watches, on a number of occasions, I have had watches I’ve repaired, returned to me because the calendar is erratic. This happens when the owner loses sight of the fact that a 24-hour day is comprised of two 12-hour segments, calendar normally changing at midnight! The date is changing at noon. We’ll, duh!
There's a solution against that type of confusion...

Joking aside, I actually found the 24 hour indication encountered on most Lemania 5100 chronographs to be way more useful than I initially thought.
 
Posts
168
Likes
585
Ah, the click bezel as a fidget tool.
Public service announcement: If you use your click bezel as a fidget, it won't last long. They aren't designed for daily fidgeting.

I've had several people give me their divers watches that "don't click anymore". I replace the click mechanism that have the tabs completely worn off and ask them if they use it as their fidget. The answer has always been: "no?" <roll eyes>

If a central running seconds hand is a complication, then that's what I use the most. I set the exact time in the morning and in the evening check for accuracy.

Day/Date? Bad eyes, sorry. Chrono? Please, I have timers everywhere. Moon phase? Laughable but cool to look at. Alarm? Cool but my phone can do it to the second and it will run until I shut it off.
Good warning re the excessive fidget! I actually am not too bad, but do appreciate the very occasional bezel check. (Rotation is also wide enough that I’m sure I’m not at risk). It is remarkable though how much a satisfying bezel feel can enhance the experience of a watch.
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,378
The 8500 Jump Hour Feature. I love it for traveling and it also allows you to quickly change the date.
 
Posts
4,495
Likes
10,986
The 8500 Jump Hour Feature. I love it for traveling and it also allows you to quickly change the date.
Damn it! That's a good one. I should have thought of it.
 
Posts
2,622
Likes
2,802
Damn it! That's a good one. I should have thought of it.
yeah, never used that one, but actually pretty much love it on my GMT watches.
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,378
Damn it! That's a good one. I should have thought of it.
And it’s one hell of a nice looking watch too. 😊