Forums Latest Members

Any JLC folks able to weigh in?

1. Annapolis Jun 18, 2020

I'm still casually searching for a birth-year purchase (1977), and have started to expand my search from Omega to other brands. I'm in no kind of hurry---looking for a watch that speaks to me. Don't think I'm interested in Rolex or Seiko, which is where a few folks have pointed me, but keeping an open mind.

As it happens, I came across this JLC from Germany on Chrono24:

https://www.chrono24.com/jaegerlecoultre/master-mariner--id7695776.htm

Will post a pic or two from the ad below, too. They're not great, but I suspect there might be two reasons for that: an older seller not adept with computers, and he's trying to capture the scratch in the crystal, which he makes a point of acknowledging in his remarks.

I'm still learning Omega---and know virtually nothing about Jaeger-LeCoultre, other than the basics about the company's history, and the fact that they make some stunning and horologically significant ("watchmaker's watchmaker") timepieces. This one is very attractive to me. It's small, but I don't mind that---I like my 1960s Seamasters---and I suspect the hairline scratch on the crystal will be less visible in person and might even rub out, since it's acrylic.

My German is terrible---I had to rely on Google Translate---but the story behind the sale is funny: a gift from a woman back in the 70s; he rarely wore the watch; she's since left; he's selling it and to get revenge on her (as she wore furs) he's donating some/all of the sale price to an animal rights organization. (Or so I gather.)

My questions:

1) I believe the gifting of the watch was in 1977, but the watch itself looks to me rather like a piece from the 1950s or 60s---both the style and the size. Am I right about that?---or is this possibly a 1977 production? (I'm still weighing how much I'd care about the answer: the connection to '77 via the story might be enough or it might not.)

2) I've read that older JLCs can be a pain to service as parts can be difficult and expensive to source. Is that true in your experience?---would this likely be a money pit for me?

3) Does the listing price seem in or out of line to you?

I have done my own research here---I'm not just lazily asking questions. My suspicions are 1) not from the 70s 2) yes and yes and 3) about $500 too high. But I'm hoping I can draw on the wisdom of a few folks who know (far) more than I do about this brand, as reliable information is hard to come by---at least that's what I've found.

Thanks in any case!

And of course if there are any red flags w/ the watch, I'm eager to hear about them!

JLC2.jpg JLC.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 18, 2020

Agree with you on all points, except that price is more like $1,200 too high.
    gatorcpa