Forums Latest Members
  1. PhilF Nov 12, 2019

I have currently a Speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.005 which is currently on an Omega deployant strap, love it totally, look, feel, history, everything, fully intend this on as a keeper 20191112_150107.jpg
    Also have a Seamaster, blue 210.30.42.20.03.001 which I got in September, thought I was fully in on this, but now, not so much. I've developed an ambivalence towards it which I find strange. Whenever I wear it I find myself wishing it looked like the Speedmaster. 20191112_145835.jpg
    My attraction was initially the appearance and the sapphire/ ceramic ruggedness and the METAS Certified movement, I find the bracelet comfortable and really like the adjustable clasp. Initially was attracted to a Speedmaster Reduced, but after doing some research, found the hybrid movement was not the ideal setup.
    My quandry is to consider selling/trading the Seamaster and getting a 324.30.38.50.01.001 to get (1) the automatic/COSC Certified movement, (2) the sapphire crystal and (3) the classic Speedy look. (Sorry to use a commercial image, but that's all I could find) 20191112_150215.png

My real quandry is to do this in the near future to take advantage of current pricing, or wait and see if the next round from Omega includes a METAS Certified Speedmaster at, possibly, a much higher price. This Speedmaster 38 Coaxial checks almost all of the boxes except the adjustable clasp. I want a "daily driver" that's automatic and has a date function. I guess I could always go with another deployant clasp/strap but this is an interesting quandry of just preferring a specific watch's look. Buy/sell/trade or wait? I guess I'm looking for a nudge in the proper direction, this is really a question of if I want two watches that look the same, I think I do but I'm starting to question the logic.

Oh yes, I'm keeping my Hesalite Speedy regardless, just questioning if I'm really being stupid or just need more time with the Seamaster.

Edited Nov 12, 2019
  2. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Nov 12, 2019

But...?

3. Martin_F Nov 12, 2019

Exactly, what's the option that you want opinions on?

4. PhilF Nov 12, 2019

Primarily if I should move on the 38 or wait and see what Omega has coming?
    I have patience, but, am concerned that an updated Speedmaster might exceed my ability to pay for it. Should have probably bought the 38 instead of the Seamaster, but was pretty dazzled by the overall package, especially the METAS movement. Don't want to make another mistake. Also looking for opinions on the 38, wearability, accuracy, etc. The experience with various Omegas here is pretty vast, thought someone might have tried this one.

5. Martin_F Nov 12, 2019

If you want an automatic Speedmaster, the new METAS certified version won't give you that. Pretty sure it'll still be manually wound.

PhilF likes this.
  6. alam Nov 12, 2019

86F8999E-5661-4B40-BEC7-1595603AB071.jpeg
  7. Martin_F Nov 12, 2019

Right, but not the rumored to be released next year Moonwatch with METAS movement the OP referenced as well in the first post.

Sounds to me like he is looking for the traditional look of the Moonwatch, but with METAS accuracy.
    He might get lucky next year if Omega decides to release that watch.

Edited Nov 12, 2019
    PhilF and alam like this.
  8. Martin_J_N Nov 12, 2019

My Seamaster was my first major watch purchase 10 years ago so the watch will always be kept, my Speedmaster was bought this year and is just awesome so also being kept, in all honesty any watch I buy is a keeper, I will spend ages trying watches on to ensure that I am happy with my purchase. Each watch is different is style to others so I have a variety to choose from.

Your Seamaster is just a bit left out at the moment, do nothing and enjoy wearing the Speedy, in a while you will put the Seamaster back on and enjoy it.

PhilF likes this.
  9. PhilF Nov 12, 2019

You're probably correct, I'm still so entranced by the Speedy, haven't really bonded ( there's an obvious pun here, unintended, but, there it is!) with it yet.

Martin_F likes this.
  10. scapa Nov 12, 2019

I've experienced this "lack of bonding" from time to time. Sometimes, of course, it's permanent, and you'll need to find an adoptive parent. But at other times I've simply put the watch aside and waited until I felt the urge to wear it again, and found that the bond has been able to grow that way, partly through absence.

Some of these pieces are now teenagers, and here they still are, living in my basement and contributing nothing towards the household expenses. So it goes.

chronos, Speedy2254 and PhilF like this.
  11. PhilF Nov 12, 2019

Well, I'm 72.......almost to the point where I may/may not allow for long-term bonding to occur. Initially, was pleased with the Seamaster, kinda dazzled, in contrast, the Speedmaster's quiet simplicity and yes, elegance has drawn me in for years, like it more each time I wear it. As many here have found, ownership of several Speedmasters ain't a bad thing, perhaps excessive, but ultimately, satisfying. Perhaps I need to recognize that and just go with it. Had a good shot at a Daytona for $2300 in the 70's, passed and bought a Speedmaster, just thought it was classier and more classic. Sold it out of necessity in the 90's, regretted it. Got another as a gift from my wife on July 20th this year, significant & meaningful. I won't let this one go. Going to give the Seamaster some time, but I'm seriously thinking another, second Speedmaster may be the cure, an automatic this time.

Strangedream and Taddyangle like this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 12, 2019

Seems like the automatic Speedmaster will not push the moon watch off your wrist.

I think a railmaster or a Aqua Terra is what you need ;) ( still has decent water proof rating for you )

5934F3CD-8BBD-4BEB-80D8-E8CA3AA45180.jpeg

13. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Nov 13, 2019

That strap looks fantastic on that Railmaster ::love::

14. ExpiredWatchdog Nov 13, 2019

I'm happy with this:

Speedy '57 Dial.jpg

While it's not "classic" speedmaster, it checks your boxes and the current offering is METAS certified.

15. Martin_F Nov 13, 2019

Looks fantastic on the Speedmaster too:
    [​IMG]

Gav1967 likes this.
  16. bama2141 Nov 13, 2019

Perhaps you’re a bit put off by the blue dial of the Seamaster. If you’re a fan of the chronograph, take a look at the new Seamaster chrono.
    611D691E-D6FC-4869-945F-21FDE33DF8BB.png
    New movement, automatic, bracelet or strap, water resistant. Ticks a lot of boxes. While I love my Speedy, it’s nice to have something a bit different to trade off with. Best of luck!

17. PhilF Nov 13, 2019

Appreciate your suggestions, upon reflection, I don't think it's the color. I believe it's the hands and the overall, dare I say, blingy look that I'm not getting into. The simplicity of the stick hands on the Speedy I find appealing, also prefer the sword hands of the earlier Seamasters to the current skeleton hands. Thought they would grow on me, but, so far, not so much. I also generally don't find the special editions of the Speedmaster attract me, although I find the Silver Snoopy interesting and appealing. I think it's the starkness & simplicity that I find attracts me.

18. PhilF Nov 13, 2019

What's the current model or catalog # for this? I'd like to, at least, take a look- thanks

19. Martin_F Nov 13, 2019

PhilF likes this.
  20. PhilF Nov 13, 2019

Interesting, appears to be COSC but doesn't have the "Master Chronometer" markings, also the $9k price is a bit much for me.
    This is more "traditional" looking and is COSC rated. Pricing on the 57' series is, IMHO, a bit high, nice watches but they just don't appeal to me. 20191112_150215.png