Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Caliber 321 "Ed White" - A Pictorial Review

1. cvalue13 May 17, 2021

they did machine lume “trenches” into this dial that, according to a few brief Omega rep mentions, allows for more lume.

Great write up, and wonderful photos!

frazierspa and Travelller like this.
  2. Thommas May 17, 2021

Thanks for the fantastic review and even better pictures! One can only wonder how time will treat these new 321s and how attractive they will look with a lifetime of patina imprinted on them 50 to 60 from today.

Travelller likes this.
  3. VjaceCZ May 18, 2021

Is it the movement number 88700000 for real or was it modified for security reasons? Just wondering, movement number on mine Ed White is not that pretty. I would be jealous if this is for real ;)

Anyway, beautiful watch, awesome pictures! Enjoy it!

Travelller likes this.
  4. Travelller May 20, 2021

It's masked. I believe there are only two "prefix" values for the 321 series (887 is one).

...taken on SpeedyTuesday
    [​IMG]

5. Travelller May 25, 2021

Happy Speedy Tuesday :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

6. VjaceCZ May 25, 2021

Mine watch is 887 00 191. Did they really started from 887 00 001 with the 321 Caliber?

Indices likes this.
  7. Travelller May 29, 2021

My best guess is yes. Look at the Pt. 321 from @Robert-Jan 's article - the SN on that one's 88700017. The very first 321 presented to the press had a real odd SN but then again, it wasn't in a watch and with Omega the SN of the watch is also that of the movement.

Indices likes this.
  8. Travelller Jun 6, 2021

In a recent post on the main Caliber 321 "Ed White" announcement thread I gave my opinion on a good question asked by an OF member, so I decided to add it here as well:

While I can't guarantee that Omega didn't update [the size of] their dials in the past decades, it's rather unlikely.

In terms of the Calibre 321 "Ed White", Omega went out of their way to recreate the 321 1-1 with the original, so I sincerely doubt they would've varied in terms of case or dial size...

Therefore, according to the most awesome "Moonwatch Only" authors, both the 321 & 861 (/1861) dials measure exactly 31.20 mm. They got their info straight from the horse's mouth - Jean Singer & Cie SA, the company that made* the dials way back when :thumbsup:
    *I assume Omega makes them "in-house" now... :unsure: If anyone knows for sure, please let us know :)

When designing the Speedmaster Professional, Omega decided to "beef up" the case from the original 38.2mm to 42mm, just slightly larger than the bezel, if we don't take the asymmetrical (crown-guard) side into account. The black* bezel diameter is actually identical for both the Speedmaster & Speedmaster Professional at 39.7mm!
    *The steel bezels were ~1mm smaller at 38.6mm.

39.7mm bezel over the 42mm case...
    [​IMG]

39.7mm bezel over the 38.2mm case...
    [​IMG]

ckhaing, dscoogs and frazierspa like this.
  9. Kim Jul 1, 2021

Thank you for the detailed review and the beautiful pics. Congratz on this beautiful timekeeper.

Veen and Travelller like this.
  10. Travelller Aug 11, 2021

Many thanks! It is indeed a beautiful timekeeper and I'm very happy that I decided to get one (and that I was lucky enough to get one...!) ::love::

A few recent pics - I admit I'm spending too much time on IG and not enough time in more engaging platforms like this site :( ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Travelller Aug 24, 2021

Been a while since I "doublewristed*" ... :D
    [​IMG]
    *But only for the pic - one watch is usually enough... ;)

Indices, MTROIS, frazierspa and 2 others like this.
  12. HeavenlyD Aug 24, 2021

Just joined on here and the most interesting write up I’ve read so far, thank you.
    What is the realistic timeframe of getting one of these currently?
    Is this still a challenging piece to get or are waiting lists quite short now?

Travelller likes this.
  13. frazierspa Aug 24, 2021

Good question with no realistically accurate answer. I’ve been on an OB list since the Cal 321 Reference was released over a year and a half ago. My OB in Virginia has received two to date. I’m supposedly number 8 on a list of 13. I have a $40,000 purchase history at this OB. It’ll probably be another year or two before I receive mine. My OB stopped taking names a few days after the launch.

Travelller likes this.
  14. WatchCor Aug 25, 2021

Yeah, it's a slow list. I am the first on my local AD's list. Needless to say that they still haven't had a piece come through them. I don't expect to receive one this year, or the next one seeing how slow it is to get one even through OB's

Travelller likes this.
  15. whiteibex Aug 25, 2021

There is just ONE consolidated list. You could be first at your AD or OB and still wait forever.

16. WatchCor Aug 25, 2021

I'm sorry, I don't follow. Are you implying that the AD's abd OB's submit a clients name to Bienne and then the watches are distributed according that list.

I assumed the OB/AD gets a certain allocation per year depending on sales/volume and then sells the watches per their own discretion (i.e. to the next name on their own list).

17. MTROIS Aug 25, 2021

I would not be surprised if the allocations are based on a mix of the two approaches you are describing…

Travelller likes this.
  18. cvalue13 Aug 26, 2021

It’s been reported to me by the Houston OB (one of the larger ones in the states), that for the 321 there is some allocation occurring in Bienne to names/known customers, and then some OB influence otherwise. Whether that’s true, or true everywhere, I don’t know - just reporting the report.

But regarding the Snoopy, which was reported to be mostly driven by a Bienne list, my contact gave an instructive example: basically, the Houston OB’s #1 client did not receive the first Snoopy, because Bienne sent it specifically to the OB’s #2 client - apparently because the #2 client also spent material money at other OBs. In other words, while from the Houston OB’s perspective this guy was the #2 client, the global perspective of Bienne was different.

Travelller, WatchCor, Eve and 2 others like this.
  19. Omega D Aug 26, 2021

Far out, far out. I am not a fan of luxury sport watches in any shape or form. I make an exception for the Speedmaster. It can be worn with a nice crisp white shirt, tie and navy / black suit blending in beautifully. The subtle dial and bezel make it.

Edited Aug 26, 2021
    Travelller and MTROIS like this.
  20. WatchCor Aug 26, 2021

Might be , although I think/hope AD's might have a different system. I find it somewhat implausible that my small town AD reports my spendings to Bienne or that Bienne would care.

OB's most probably have their customer data sent to Bienne. So I guess what @MTROIS mentioned might be plausible. A hybrid sort of allocation.

Travelller likes this.